"oh my brother plays guitar, it's old-style blues"

Started by bluesman67, June 02, 2009, 07:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here's a quick story.

I get together with my singer last night.  Our band is an acoustic blues duo, but we've been talking about forming 2nd band that would feature roughly the same songs but be a full band.  He tells me that he works with a doctor who's brother plays guitar and he plays a lot of old-style blues.  I'm getting excited about this because if we add another guitarist, he sounds perfect.  He plays some tunes on his ipod and it's a couple old rags sounding great.  He hands me the cd cover and it's Ari freakin' Eisinger.  That man taught me how to play Piedmont blues from his DVD, he's one of the best young blues guitar players on the planet.

"oh my brother plays guitar, it's old-style blues" (Ari Eisinger)
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

So... what's the problem?  Maybe Ari freakin' E is lookin' for a change too  :bgrin:

:nana_guitar :nanadance :nana_guitar

Thas pretty exciting...Ari is the man!!! nobody that I've heard can replicate the pace and tone of Blind Blake Like Ari....lets us know how this pans out!

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Man, that would be a wet dream to just get the chance to pick a few songs with Ari! Now, to play in a group with him.......yup, pretty sure that is guitar intercourse!

Is he in Raleigh?
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

I don't think he lives in NC.  Sorry if my post was confusing.

I'm not starting a band with Ari, I was just telling the story.

Someone you know says my brother plays guitar, old blues stuff, you picture someone hanging out on a back porch after work drinking a cold one.  I was just blown away by who her brother was.  That's not to say I wouldn't love to meet him the next time he comes through town...and yes...it would be increadible to sit and play a few tunes together if I ever had the chance.  My singer, who has a greater knowledge of the blues, didn't even know who he was when he was telling me the about him.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

That reminds me of a similar incident...I used to work in a hospital in Akron Oh. A doctor I knew realized that I played guitar and asked me a few questions about it....he said too bad he didn't know sooner...his brother was a guitarist and he would have gotten us together when his brother came to visit but his brother had recently passed away...

His brother was Joe Pass!
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

What is it with these great musicians -- do they ALL have relatives who are really laid-back about this incredible talent lurking in their family?

Quote from: RoundLakeDT on June 02, 2009, 02:01:07 PM
What is it with these great musicians -- do they ALL have relatives who are really laid-back about this incredible talent lurking in their family?

What is it with these great musicians -- do they all have brothers who are doctors?
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

Yea, he has that old 20's and 30's sound down alright. Interesting how he moves his right hand moves around depending on if he's concentrating on the thumb runs or on trebles. I'm really leaning towards letting my right hand do what it wants after watching really good pickers break all the rules.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on June 02, 2009, 06:20:26 PM
Yea, he has that old 20's and 30's sound down alright. Interesting how he moves his right hand moves around depending on if he's concentrating on the thumb runs or on trebles. I'm really leaning towards letting my right hand do what it wants after watching really good pickers break all the rules.

You have to wrap that thumb if you want to finger pick the blues or ragtime, it's you only way to get to all the notes you have to play. Anyways aren't rules made to be broken.
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29