Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scalloped bracing reverse question  (Read 384 times)
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2009, 12:54:33 PM »

If I string a scalloped braced guitar with lights that is right handed but convert it to a lefty, what are the negative effects on tone and do you think it will affect the life of the guitar?

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 01:07:55 PM »

Not an expert opinion, but as far as structual integrity, I think the tension is pretty balanced between strings, I don't think you'll be putting undo stress on one side or the other. Tone? Hmm. I guess my first thought would be to what extent did they tune the top?
Did they really get down to it? My Gallagher braces were done by hand and there are slight differences on each side but not much.
Probably depends on how they tuned it. I'm sure someone else will have better idea about effect on tone.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 01:54:57 PM »

If we are talking about a typical Martin patern I doubt the conversion will affect the life of the guitar. Tone wise the tone bars do always run a certain direction depending on whether it's a lefty or a righty and often one leg of the X is scalloped deeper than the other. I imagine the conversion will effect the sound some but I don't know how.

bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 04:50:14 PM »

I was thinking the same thing Jeremy.  The guitar itself would be fine, but the tonal balance may suffer.  It would be a pre-war scalloped Martin bracing pattern.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: