Pages: 1 ... 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No respect for sapele?  (Read 9962 times)
rounder

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2009, 05:43:37 AM »

Huh?  Aren't those the same thing?   

Sapele is fine just on its own as a tonewood...it just ain't mahogany and I wish those comparisons "as a substitution for mahogany" would stop.   

+1   (or maybe I need to drink more kool-aid)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2009, 02:56:16 PM »

It's my go to flatpicking guitar. I think it has opened up a lot; and not just during the first few weeks after initial string up but continually since then. It's starting to sound a little mature like my OM/PW. It's actually based more on a '35 D-18 than a GE (no popsicle, sitka braces, organic glue).
That's my pet name for it - the Adi top triggered the name. BTW - there was only one year Martin didn't use the popsicle in the D-18GE - 1995 if I have it right? Those models also had Sitka tops, not Adi...

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2009, 05:10:14 PM »

BTW - there was only one year Martin didn't use the popsicle in the D-18GE - 1995 if I have it right? Those models also had Sitka tops, not Adi...

yeh that sounds right to me.

BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2009, 06:19:32 PM »

I feel the same as LDSA about the comparison thing. Each has it's own sound & characteristics. That's why I'm looking for an ALL mahogany Martin OOO-15s, not sapele. Would be a different sound. The day will come when the -05 series & such have to use sapele, because good mahogany is slowly, or quickly, being depleted. When that time comes, you won't have a choice on the wood, because there won't be one! Mahogany is finally being given the credit it's due as a superior tonewood. A perfect example is our F-III's. That IS/HOG combo is sweeeet! Not saying the RW one isn't, but in a different way. I'm finally getting the tones out of my F-III that I'm just lovin'. My SD-50 really makes me appreciate mahogany also. The best guitar I ever had or heard: a Flammang Sitka/HOG OM that was made for me, using that 100+y/o spruce that had been submerged in Alaska, brought up & dried out, & only so much was available. David got some sets @ a NAMM show & used them, with incredible results. GAS'd that one away & still regret it! crying
     Jeff   

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: