Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No respect for sapele?  (Read 10577 times)
TokyoNeko

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2009, 08:28:14 PM »

Larrivee's Traditional Series isn't. At least not in any way except on the surface...........................
That's right; it comes down to the appearance, hence all the more reason to use the wonderful Mahogany.   

'07 Larrivée OM-50 (Bone Nut/Saddle, K&K Pure Mini Pickup)
'09 Composite Acoustics OX Raw
pennerblue

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2009, 08:44:49 PM »

Speaking of tradition, I'm currently at the US Military Academy for work.  Today I was on the parade field where cadets of today perform the exact same parade exercises that Patton, MacCarthur, etc. performed decades ago.  That's tradition.

Tradition has it's place and it's value (different to each individual or institution).  Tradition also serves as a basis for improvement.  The reason why I am here is to investigate necessary changes to education at the Academy.  They simply can not teach the same way and the same things that they used to...some time-tested (traditional) aspects will remain, but innovation is necessary for continued success.

Is there a guitar analogy in there somewhere?

Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

“Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it’s more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique.”
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2009, 10:07:12 PM »

That's right; it comes down to the appearance, hence all the more reason to use the wonderful Mahogany.   

Maybe it comes down to appearence for some folks, but for me it comes down to does this instrument sound good to me, playing my music? A guitar can be lovely and of the finest tonewoods available and still not be a good sounding guitar. Its sort of like a vapid, but really beautiful woman, I like to look at the beauty, but the sounds that come out  make me cringe, and I see to it that she goes away quickly. A pretty guiar ain't replaced Willie's Trigger yet, far as I know, and he can have the prettiest guitar he wants!

tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2009, 10:10:29 PM »

Hey GA-ME -

Look for a store like Body Time or Body Shoppe - I got a lotion that has willow bark extract in it, which is the original natural version or aspirin. Rub it into your aching hands/fingers, and they feel much better in a few minutes.

Plus it helps keep your hands silky smooth - 

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2009, 10:23:50 PM »

Hey GA-ME -

Look for a store like Body Time or Body Shoppe - I got a lotion that has willow bark extract in it, which is the original natural version or aspirin. Rub it into your aching hands/fingers, and they feel much better in a few minutes.

Plus it helps keep your hands silky smooth - 

Tad

Tad, thanks for the info. I'll give it a try. I have been putting on surgical gloves and then doing contrast baths between water as hot as I can stand it and then into ice water. I keep the hand in as long as I can for each temperature or three or four minutes, which ever come first. I really just need to listen to my fiance and use an egg timer to make sure I stop every half hour or so and also listen to a friend of mine who cautions against repeating the same song over and over. Instead he just plays a set of songs and every two songs or so he goes back to the tune he is learning. He seems to think this helps him a lot.

My problem is, the fellows I play with are much better than I am and they learn songs much quicker than I do, so seeing how I am supposed to be the um, uh, cough, cough, leader of this trio, I feel obligated to step up and play as well as they do. Dang, I wish I had my 18 year old hands and spine right about now!
TokyoNeko

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2009, 10:28:40 PM »

Maybe it comes down to appearence for some folks, but for me it comes down to does this instrument sound good to me, playing my music? A guitar can be lovely and of the finest tonewoods available and still not be a good sounding guitar. Its sort of like a vapid, but really beautiful woman, I like to look at the beauty, but the sounds that come out  make me cringe, and I see to it that she goes away quickly. A pretty guiar ain't replaced Willie's Trigger yet, far as I know, and he can have the prettiest guitar he wants!
Before my quotes get really taken out of context, let me make it clear that I was only responding to your comment that the "Traditional Series" of Larrivee isn't exactly "traditional" in a sense that it's not built like a pre-war Martin.  It was merely meant to highlight the fact that Mahogany is better suited for the "traditional" look of the 50/60 series.  That comment has no bearing on what I think about the appearance and the tone of the different woods in general.

Going back to your last post, I agree that tone is fundamental on choosing a certain wood.  If it looks great but sounds crappy I don't want that on my guitars.  But when it comes to Mahogany and Sapele, I really can't tell much of a difference, if at all.  So given (in my opinion) the similar tonal qualities, then I'm going to go for the looks.  And in that sense, Mahogany will win out for me every time.

'07 Larrivée OM-50 (Bone Nut/Saddle, K&K Pure Mini Pickup)
'09 Composite Acoustics OX Raw
OakvilleDave

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2009, 03:00:55 AM »

No offense meant. I guess I'm an inclusionist rather than an exclusionist at heart. After all, half full or half empty, if the cup has good beer in it, who really cares??

Oakville Dave

Guitar player since Christmas of 1977. Dad, husband, high school teacher, former comedian, current member of 9 piece soul/classic rock/funk band, Groove Hammer. Chronic GAS sufferer - Guitar Aquisition Syndrome!
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2009, 04:51:33 AM »

Just read page 1 of this thread and have not had time to read the rest of the pages. Thanks for starting this thread about sapele.

Once upon a time, nobody paid attention to Brazilian Rosewood. In fact, when it was available in super abundance, they made floors and cabinets using Braz wood. Who knows... maybe even the odd Braz fire log? (maybe cavemen used them as clubs?)  Now, it's in limited supply, it's considered the "holy grail" of tonewoods. The international ban on Braz helps drive the cost up and demand high.

Hog is getting to be that way. Bob Taylor priced his mahogany at par with EIR and other exotic tonewoods.

I would not hesitate to buy/own sapele... especially the highly figured ones. But your everyday bread-and-butter sapele is good.

I've test-driven a few ----- and don't ever think it's the 'ugly duckling' of the lot.  In fact, "ordinary" sapele is more appealing to me than flamed maple (no offense to FM fans - I like the curly maple myself).

ricky
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2009, 01:36:48 PM »

Once upon a time, nobody paid attention to Brazilian Rosewood. In fact, when it was available in super abundance, they made floors and cabinets using Braz wood. Who knows... maybe even the odd Braz fire log? (maybe cavemen used them as clubs?)  Now, it's in limited supply, it's considered the "holy grail" of tonewoods. The international ban on Braz helps drive the cost up and demand high.

It's not as if nobody cared about Brazilian rosewood as a tonewood until it became scarce. It's been used on guitars before steel strings were. Martin used it as early as the 1850's. If Brazilian rosewood is indeed the 'holy grail' of steel string guitar tonewoods then it always was.

jonnybees

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2009, 07:43:17 PM »

I bought a LO3 sapele - loved it and the larrivee design so much I bought a LJ09 soon after - rosewood sides.
THen I acquired an old beat up Fylde Orsino which sounds beautiful.  One of the three has to go ...... and it will probably be the LO3 sapele - but no disrespect to it - its a looovely guitar, but the old Fylde pips it.  (I am in the UK hence the Fylde..)
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2009, 03:27:31 AM »

It's not as if nobody cared about Brazilian rosewood as a tonewood until it became scarce. It's been used on guitars before steel strings were. Martin used it as early as the 1850's. If Brazilian rosewood is indeed the 'holy grail' of steel string guitar tonewoods then it always was.

Jeremy, thanks for the clarification. I was simply referring to the supply and demand thing. I stand corrected about "nobody cared about Braz as tonewood" --- I know it has always been the preferred tonewood by git makers.

Although this may be a poor analogy, in my mind: EIR is to Braz as Sapele is to Mahogany (hog now becoming scarce).

ricky
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2009, 11:33:17 AM »

Shall we start a new thread on Cleartone or not, Ping or Schaller, Satin or Gloss again? 

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2009, 01:46:28 PM »

Shall we start a new thread on Cleartone or not, Ping or Schaller, Satin or Gloss again? 

You forgot rosewood vs mahogany

ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2009, 04:23:10 PM »

Oh, look!!! The emperor has new clothes!

I've owned a D-18 in the past and I now own an OM2H (Collings) and L-03 (Larrivee for those who aren't paying attention). The D-18 was OK but nothing really special, the Collings with Rosewood is wonderful in all respects but the L-03 is every bit the Collings equal at about 1/4 the price used. When I had the L-03 set up I took it to a Martin dealer (who had probably never even seen a Larrivee). His comment: "Wow, great tone!" That's good enough for me.

fred

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2009, 04:28:55 PM »

Oh, look!!! The emperor has new clothes!

I've owned a D-18 in the past and I now own an OM2H (Collings) and L-03 (Larrivee for those who aren't paying attention). The D-18 was OK but nothing really special, the Collings with Rosewood is wonderful in all respects but the L-03 is every bit the Collings equal at about 1/4 the price used. When I had the L-03 set up I took it to a Martin dealer (who had probably never even seen a Larrivee). His comment: "Wow, great tone!" That's good enough for me.

fred
  That is quite an endorsement for Larrivee.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2009, 07:26:30 PM »

You forgot rosewood vs mahogany

And bone vs Tusq, abalone vs mosaic . . .

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2009, 10:46:47 PM »

And bone vs Tusq, abalone vs mosaic . . .

Tad

Yeah, yeah...Taylor vs Martin

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2009, 02:34:45 AM »

Pallet wood Vs. sapele blush

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2009, 03:20:26 AM »

If it's good enough for David Webber and JCL himself, it's good enough for me.

ricky
LawDogStrgsAttach
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2009, 03:36:50 AM »

Pallet wood Vs. sapele blush

Huh?  Aren't those the same thing?   

Sapele is fine just on its own as a tonewood...it just ain't mahogany and I wish those comparisons "as a substitution for mahogany" would stop.   

McIlroy AJ30 Sitka/East Indian Rosewood
Petros Walnut Creek Grand Concert
Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: