Only one Clapton...

Started by Zohn, May 28, 2009, 10:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it possible that perhaps you were more impressionable at that tender age way back in 1966?

On consideration - and it's more than 40 years ago (I was 22 and married in 1966) - I think probably not. I was fairly picky, I think, even then! There's no doubt that EC played with a fairly raw intensity in those days - before the heroin thing kicked in - and there's always been a some good compositional ideas in him. "Wonderful Tonight" and "Tears In Heaven" are great songs. But if you look at a performer like, for instance, Jerry Reed - you'll see passion, humour and exuberance into rocking old age - and who else but Jerry could have written "The Claw"! (And who else but Jerry Donahue could have written "The Beak"...  :laughin:

Cheers,

Will

Maybe that's why "hard to thrill" sounds rightous to me. "nothin really moves me anymore".
I was just real down on Clapton for a long time and feel obligated to give him credit on the occassion that he does do something I like these days. J.J.'s definitely the man though. Also gets as much out of a one chord song as anyone IMO. Usually has one on each album that's just all about groove.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Q, never saw that interview or heard that it wasn't a "peach" truck. Learn something new here everyday. I agree with all about the dope just screwing him up so bad, esp. around the days of the making of "Derick & the Dominoes". Heard all was recorded in 3 days with no sleep, just alot of drugs & alcohol. Can hear alot of it in the music. The strain comes through in the voice & the music. That was around the time he was struggling with his love for George Harrison's wife, George being his best friend & it just tearing him apart. As you know, that's who the song "Layla" was written for. And all of the other "sad" songs about woman on the album. You always wonder what some of these guys could have put out if they were straight, such as SRV, Jimmy Page, just to name a couple. Talent wasted, but the good thing, is that Clapton has his act together now & is happy. That's the most important thing & the one that drives you to Drugs, being unhappy. I'm 51, so I just missed the chances to see Cream & some of these other greats by a few years. Am envious of you, not for your age, but for your opportunities! :humour:
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

SRV did straighten himself out and was sober the last several years perhaps motivated by his fathers death.
He was actually said to have been sober right at 5 years  when he died.
I saw him twice, New Years Dec 31 86" at the Fox in Atlanta. GREAT show. Lonnie Mack, the great Cinncinati house rocker, played first unannounced. SRV came out and introduced him and I said "YES SIR". The guys in front of me said "who's he" I said man you'd better strap yourself to seat" Playing his flying V with bag of mojo dangling from it, he tore the house down. Then SRV came out, no let down there. Then at Midnight they both got on stage and jammed with thousands of balloons falling from the stars.(the fox has lit "stars" up on the high ceiling.)
Then saw him about a week before helicopter crash. Totally outstanding. I wasn't even much into electric at the time either. B.B King played before him. I was hoping that was how it would be, because I love B.B. and would have hated to see him have to play after SRV.
Of course the word was that it was supposed to be Clapton on the chopper, that's why his manager was onboard, but he gave his seat to SRV so he could catch his plane to Texas and home on time.

FL, I didn't mean to insinuate that they didn't straighten out. That's what the song "Life By The Drop" is all about. Sobriety!. Those that are still alive have mostly gotten straight, thank God. Sorry about the confusion. Glad you had the chance to see him (SRV) live, something I wish I had the chance to do. Good thing Clapton didn't decide to get on that chopper, as did some of his people.
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

No problem, I just love good stories when people get themselves straightened out.  I don't think SRV's bad years took a perminent toll on his playing.
That is, I can't imagine him being anymore on top of his game, than when I saw him in his later years.

Quote from: Parlor Picker on May 29, 2009, 03:15:38 AM
I tend to agree with Will. He certainly had it back in the day, but whatever he had, he's now lost.

I saw him in Sydney, Australia earlier this year and he absolutely smoked, vocally and guitar wise. "Slowhand" didnt seem to be slowing down at all.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: obe-wan on June 30, 2009, 01:27:34 AM

I saw him in Sydney, Australia earlier this year and he absolutely smoked...
Cheers, Scott.
Some guys have it all.... (the fortunate ones who get to see old Slowhand)
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: Zohn on June 30, 2009, 01:47:02 AM
Some guys have it all.... (the fortunate ones who get to see old Slowhand)

Me in my Clapton t-shirt, holding my Clapton program......at the Clapton concert. Theres a beer at my feet. Happy? You bet!

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: flatlander on May 29, 2009, 11:59:29 AM
SRV did straighten himself out and was sober the last several years perhaps motivated by his fathers death.
He was actually said to have been sober right at 5 years  when he died.
I saw him twice, New Years Dec 31 86" at the Fox in Atlanta. GREAT show. Lonnie Mack, the great Cinncinati house rocker, played first unannounced. SRV came out and introduced him and I said "YES SIR". The guys in front of me said "who's he" I said man you'd better strap yourself to seat" Playing his flying V with bag of mojo dangling from it, he tore the house down. Then SRV came out, no let down there. Then at Midnight they both got on stage and jammed with thousands of balloons falling from the stars.(the fox has lit "stars" up on the high ceiling.)
Then saw him about a week before helicopter crash. Totally outstanding. I wasn't even much into electric at the time either. B.B King played before him. I was hoping that was how it would be, because I love B.B. and would have hated to see him have to play after SRV.
Of course the word was that it was supposed to be Clapton on the chopper, that's why his manager was onboard, but he gave his seat to SRV so he could catch his plane to Texas and home on time.

Flatlander,

Both these concerts that you went to, I have recorded on bootleg cassette tapes.  The performances are outstanding.  He did Oreo Cookie Blues with Lonnie Mack during that performance.  PM me if you want me to send you copies of these.  I never did get to see SRV in person but his music lives forever.

As far as EC goes, "Clapton is God".  Plenty of emotion and sole for Unplugged, which happened to win several Grammy's, and plenty of sole in 2001 at the Boston Garden when I saw him, that tour can be seen on DVD and it's outstanding to watch.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I really liked the album with JJ Cale. It was a grower, though. The new album with Steve Winwood is pretty juicy if you like guitar playing at all. Having seen Blind Faith live in 1969, this CD is a real treat. Has anyone seen the DVD? 

Quote from: obe-wan on June 30, 2009, 04:48:09 AM

Me in my Clapton t-shirt, holding my Clapton program......at the Clapton concert. Theres a beer at my feet. Happy? You bet!

Cheers, Scott.

Glad you enjoyed the concert Scott!  I was at the NZ leg of the tour here in Auckland and like you was absolutely blown away by the performance.  I was glad I got the chance to see him here in NZ as he doesn't make the trip that often.  Anyway heres a pic that I took of EC playing a little solo acoustic blues during his acoustic set.  Hope you guys like it.  I was lucky enough to have decent seats and I thought it was pretty cool that EC didn't mind the use of cameras.  What a legend!

At a Larrivee Guitar Workshop in Memphis earlier today Jean Larrivee himself credited Clapton and MTV unplugged for reviving the entire acoustic guitar business back in the late 80's.

That's pretty high praise.
". . . if I only had a brain . . ."

Quote from: obe-wan on June 30, 2009, 04:48:09 AM

Cheers, Scott.
Hey Scott!!
You weren't 42 there yet were you mate? - in fact you looked like a lean, bluesrock machine!! great shot :thumbsup
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: jbrummer on July 11, 2009, 08:00:25 PM
At a Larrivee Guitar Workshop in Memphis earlier today Jean Larrivee himself credited Clapton and MTV unplugged for reviving the entire acoustic guitar business back in the late 80's.

:+1: That's for sure - if it weren't for that famous recording, I think many of us wouldn't be interested in acoustics in the same way we are today :nanadance :nana_guitar

Quote from: Zohn on July 12, 2009, 02:00:07 AM
Hey Scott!!
You weren't 42 there yet were you mate? - in fact you looked like a lean, bluesrock machine!! great shot :thumbsup

Not quiet. I hide it well dont I ? Its quiet a large program though, strategically place in front of my gut.... :whistling:

Quote from: Muks on July 11, 2009, 07:05:59 PM
Glad you enjoyed the concert Scott! Anyway heres a pic that I took of EC playing a little solo acoustic blues during his acoustic set.  Hope you guys like it.

Nice shot Muks ! You where sitting much closer than I got. Great concert.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Oh yes, Scott, Fongie, I was glad to see Mark Webber win the Nurburg ring  F1 grand prix yesterday.  :+1: First Ausie since Jack Brabham hey? and the cricket side almost wacked England for the first "Ashes" test as well.

Quote from: Zohn on July 13, 2009, 01:39:12 AM
Oh yes, Scott, Fongie, I was glad to see Mark Webber win the Nurburg ring  F1 grand prix yesterday.  :+1: First Ausie since Jack Brabham hey? and the cricket side almost wacked England for the first "Ashes" test as well.

Hey Zohn,

I dont mean to be un- patriotic, but I heard some one say that when the kids used to say they wanted a new bike, the reply was always "You can get a new bike when Mark Webber wins a race".....guess there's going to be a few new bikes about soon.... :whistling:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: obe-wan on July 14, 2009, 09:13:45 AM

Hey Zohn,

I dont mean to be un- patriotic, but I heard some one say that when the kids used to say they wanted a new bike, the reply was always "You can get a new bike when Mark Webber wins a race".....guess there's going to be a few new bikes about soon.... :whistling:

Cheers, Scott.
:+1: Likewise with the local rugby team I support nl. the Lions. Saying goes: when the Lions win the Currie cup, it will snow in Gauteng.
Webber did well though, and the win was well deserved.

I`ve started to listen more intently to Eric Clapton and WOW I like what I hear even more than before I picked up my first guitar last year. :thumbsup
"If at 1st you don't succeed, sky-diving is NOT for you"