Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Only one Clapton...  (Read 2474 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2009, 03:49:21 PM »

I listened to Clapton's Pilgrim - CD today - the man is a genius writer and performer. Anyone else like the track "Circus left town"? Boy that acoustic sounds good.
Got myself his "One more car, One more rider" DVD as well which is a collection of tour performances in 2001. 

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 03:56:25 PM »

'back in the day'...."Bell Bottom Blues" was my favorite as a teenager.

Now, my all time favorite Clapton song is "Tears in Heaven"   - his REAL blues, coming from the heart.

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 04:52:05 PM »

After the "Unplugged" CD, DVD came out, I just fell in love with his blues playing, which is were his roots lie. Played with John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers when he was young (teens), along with Jeff Beck & Jimmy Page. I play "Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out" the right way, being Bessie Smith's version from '25. The songs about being poor, the depression, & such. She just does it differently, right for her period & how it was meant to be played. But I still like the "swing" style he added to it for that session. Alot different than the "Derek & the Dominoes" version that he did with Dwayne Allmond. Before he ate a peach truck! Like the SRV thing, taken away so young & so talented. Will never know what they could have become!
     Jeff   

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 06:24:31 PM »

If you haven't already heard it, check out "Escondido"  Clapton and Cale.  If you're out driving in the country, it's the perfect soundtrack.
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 06:38:54 PM »

After the "Unplugged" CD, DVD came out, I just fell in love with his blues playing, which is were his roots lie. Played with John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers when he was young (teens), along with Jeff Beck & Jimmy Page. I play "Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out" the right way, being Bessie Smith's version from '25. The songs about being poor, the depression, & such. She just does it differently, right for her period & how it was meant to be played. But I still like the "swing" style he added to it for that session. Alot different than the "Derek & the Dominoes" version that he did with Dwayne Allmond. Before he ate a peach truck! Like the SRV thing, taken away so young & so talented. Will never know what they could have become!
     Jeff   
Dwayne Allmond 
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 06:50:04 PM »

It was a Southern style joke. Should have put D'Wayne! Being a little petty, aren't we? People misspell things all the time, I do it on purpose, I get jumped on! I can walk, but not with you on my back! Believe me, I know it's Duane. Come on now!
     Jeff   

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 06:54:35 PM »

After the "Unplugged" CD, DVD came out, I just fell in love with his blues playing, which is were his roots lie.
     Jeff   
Hey Jeff!
How about the Robert Cray song Old Love on "Unplugged" - the piano solo is to die for. Another favourite of mine which I love to play as well, is "Needs his woman".

Now, my all time favorite Clapton song is "Tears in Heaven"   - his REAL blues, coming from the heart.
- Larry

+1 I love that song on the "One more car, One more rider" DVD. with Andy Fairweather-low on the other guitar and backup vocals. His band is awesome too.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 07:50:55 PM »

yea, found this unplugged version by Clapton just now, was not there last year when I looked

he can still hit the high notes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI56fXtOwFc

also found this 73 version that was not there when I looked last year
not his best effort - (he admitted in an interview) - in his drug days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LzlJe9_AxM

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 08:53:07 PM »

It was a Southern style joke. Should have put D'Wayne! Being a little petty, aren't we? People misspell things all the time, I do it on purpose, I get jumped on! I can walk, but not with you on my back! Believe me, I know it's Duane. Come on now!
     Jeff   
Oh, Duane. I see.
Now to the next question:
Who's Allmond?
(I'm just playing with you, Jeff.)
Please don't take it so seriously.
I recall once, I misspelled something myself.

Will Fly

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 09:35:50 PM »

I've seen Clapton a few times over the years - with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, with Cream, and with his own band in the 80s. For my money, he was never the same after the drugs and alcohol periods.  I actually find his performances rather boring these days. Sorry to be a party pooper!

I should really offer donuts to everyone, I suppose:  ...

Over in the UK, the guitarist who the musicians REALLY admired was Peter Green and the (original) Fleetwood Mac. LSD and schizophrenia did their worst on Peter for a long time and, although he's out and about playing these days, he too has lost the old magic. However, in his heyday, he was the most spiritual and bluesy of all British guitarists/singers. Here's a typical sound:

I Need Your Love So Bad (the Little Willie John classic).

BB King said Peter was the only other guitarist who sent shivers down his spine. He was truly wonderful. Incidentally, the YouTube clip is mimed - fairly obviously - and Peter actually played a Les Paul on the recording... I was very lucky to have had a jam with him at a blues club in London called Klooks Kleek - it was after a performance of Mayall's Bluesbreakers when Mick Taylor was in the band (he left shortly afterwards to join the Stones). Peter was a great guy, but a troubled one.

Cheers,

Will
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 10:20:10 PM »

- Larry

I can see that Larry, and you play it just fine
Definately, Clapton is the man. I read an article about him not having a good voice. I think that guy that wrote the article needs his head examine, his awesome.
cheers
fongie
Yoyodyne

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 10:27:47 PM »

Who's Allmond?

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't...

2008 Larrivée L-03SO (Grevillea Robusta)
2008 Art & Lutherie Ami Almond
2000 Larrivée OM-02
1982 el cheapo (Fairmont) LP copy
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 12:58:30 AM »

Q, glad it was only once.   I WAS feeling kinda nutty when I posted that one, obviously! You know, the peach truck reference? No ones mentioned that one?
     Jeff

flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 01:39:52 AM »

If you haven't already heard it, check out "Escondido"  Clapton and Cale.  If you're out driving in the country, it's the perfect soundtrack.
Again Walkerman I'm with you on your taste. Clapton is off and on for me. His stuff in the 80's I didn't care for at all. Unplugged was good. The electric blues cd he put out in the mid nineties could have been good but he was too hung up on trying to sound black. When he's himself, his vocals are great. You don't have to be black to sing the blues. Cale is abloutely one of my favorite electic players. And he's one of claptons favorites. That album is abolutley great, both guitar wise and in claptons singing which I love when he's just being himself.  The song that Willfly put on u-tube, sporting life, and Hard to Thrill are just killer instrumentally and on vocals. Willfly, you've heard the cd and still dont' give him a break?

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 01:45:30 AM »

Q, glad it was only once.   I WAS feeling kinda nutty when I posted that one, obviously! You know, the peach truck reference? No ones mentioned that one?
     Jeff
I think I get the peach reference, "Eat a Peach" (title of the double LP they were working on when he was killed on his motorcycle). I am familiar with the urban legend, that he collided with a peach truck, but I know it was actually a lumber truck. (I suspect that's the reason that no one mentioned that, but who knows?)
Duane Allman did an interview shortly before he died in which he used that phrase, "Eat a Peach (for peace)" in something of a double entendre.
All the best, Jeff.

here, have a donut (closest thing we got to a peach around here).  
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 04:39:22 AM »

Definately, JJ is the man. Is it true that Cale don't like showing his face in public? I hear when he performs on stage, his always behind the group, not sure if it's true,
cheers
fongie
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 07:01:36 AM »

Definately, JJ is the man. Is it true that Cale don't like showing his face in public? I hear when he performs on stage, his always behind the group, not sure if it's true,
cheers
fongie
+1 I'm not sure which of the two "Crossroads" DVD's it is, but JJ actually plays a song there with a white Strat - the first and only time I've seen him playing/singing. He is renowned for his writing first though. Many an artist is inspired by his music.

Will Fly

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 07:18:00 AM »

The song that Willfly put on u-tube, sporting life, and Hard to Thrill are just killer instrumentally and on vocals. Willfly, you've heard the cd and still dont' give him a break?

I think Clapton has a huge talent - and his voice has improved and mellowed with age. I just think that, seen live, he appears to have no soul. In fact, he seems to be unmoved by what he's doing. I bought the JJ Cale/Clapton CD and was, frankly, disappointed. JJ Cale - who I've also seen live - is cool, clever and 100% soul. I've tried doing his multi-layered guitar thing and, even though the notes are there, there's an indefinable quality to his playing and sound which is impossible to better. Clapton just doesn't have that quality, IMHO.

Each to his own, folks. My favourite memory of Clapton is standing about 3 feet from the front of stage in 1966. He's up at the front of the stage, purple light shining through his Afro haircut, drooping moustache, shades - psychedelically-painted Gibson Les Pauls and SGs lined up behind him (he never played Strats in those days) - with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker on either side - blasting out "Crossroads". Wonderful. But - for me - he just doesn't generate that kind of excitement any more.
Parlor Picker

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 08:15:38 AM »

I tend to agree with Will. He certainly had it back in the day, but whatever he had, he's now lost. Or maybe there was no-one around at the time to make a comparison with and then others came along and overtook him.

In recent footage of Clapton shown on British TV where he was on stage with JJ Cale and Jeff Beck he was, to be blunt, not very good. In the Cale film he looked lost as if he didn't have a clue as to what was going on around him and Jeff Beck just blew him away.  I didn't see it, so cannot comment, but a friend (actually one of our top blues guitarists) saw the Robert Johnson thing with EC (why doesn't he just leave that material alone?) and he apparently kept having to ask the other guitarists in the studio how to play the songs.

Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 09:11:49 AM »

Each to his own, folks. My favourite memory of Clapton is standing about 3 feet from the front of stage in 1966. He's up at the front of the stage, purple light shining through his Afro haircut, drooping moustache, shades - psychedelically-painted Gibson Les Pauls and SGs lined up behind him (he never played Strats in those days) - with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker on either side - blasting out "Crossroads". Wonderful. But - for me - he just doesn't generate that kind of excitement any more.
another possibility to consider, Will-
Is it possible that perhaps you were more impressionable at that tender age way back in 1966?
I saw Cream the following spring '67 in Cleveland, Ohio on a Sunday afternoon. My first rock concert. I think that the ticket price was $3.50.
Here's JJ Cale performing the song he wrote that was a hit for Poco.
Magnolia
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: