A new "list" thread

Started by Walkerman, May 26, 2009, 05:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Let's say a music producer came to you, and asked you to compile the latest Beatles "greatest Hits" CD.
You only can use 10 songs.  Which would you use, and in what order would they be?

OK...I've got mine (for now anyhow)

Please Please Me
Things We Said Today
A Hard Days Night
Help
Ticket to Ride
And Your Bird Can Sing
Hey Bulldog
Oh Darling
A Day in the Life
In My Life

Just to clarify, what do you mean "latest"? Do you mean the latest songs or latest playlist?
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Quote from: BluesMan1 on May 26, 2009, 05:41:12 PM
   Just to clarify, what do you mean "latest"? Do you mean the latest songs or latest playlist?

Latest playlist.  Maybe I shouldn't have started this, because I am having a real hard time choosing 10 songs.

So am I. The earlier albums (remember vinyl?) were totally different than the more advanced, deeper songs. It's a good thread, just might take some time & alot of disagreeing to agree! :?
     Jeff   :guitar

1-Ob-la-di, ob-la-da
2-back in the USSR
3-come together
4-while my guitar gently weeps
5-here comes the sun
6-get back
7-hey jude
8-don't let me down
9-revolution
10-lady madonna
cheers
fongie

Quote from: Walkerman on May 26, 2009, 06:09:34 PM
Latest playlist.  Maybe I shouldn't have started this, because I am having a real hard time choosing 10 songs.

Walkerman, they are a 'OLD' band, there are 'NO' latest songs
cheers
fongie

On the podcast section of ITunes, NPR offers a couple of retrospectives on Beatle albums. Kept me company during a recent long drive. Interesting insights.

Fongie, that's what I'm talking about. Those are all from later years. How about "Penny Lane", "Here, There, & Everywhere", "A Day in a Life", Day Tripper", I could go on & on. You have to think way back to the earlier days & include those! You don't even have a recent one, "Across the Universe"? I'm going to work on a list carefully then post it. There are alot of songs to chose from. Are you thinking of songs that you can play or the BEST of the BEST, choosing from close to a 150 or more?
   Let's all take our time, go back in time, & include those. I grew up to the Beatles, have had every album, not just the "popular" ones since Sgt. Pepper's!
   To be continued...
     Jeff

Fongie, and you make that statement about there being no new songs, when that's all you listed, mate! That's why I asked for the clarification on my first post.

Back in the 70's, I read an article about a band called 'Klatu' I think thats the right name and spelling, anyway this band was suppose to have been a secret reunion by the Beetles. I bought this album, and hold and behold, you wouldn't believe the likeness in lyrics, music and style. The album was produced by Klatu, written by Klatu, and no body knows who the hell these guys were. The album cover shows, 4 mice and lots of 60's figuration and diagrams of plants. If you have a chance to find this album, grab it. It's awesome
cheers
fongie

Bluesman1, Excuse my choices I picked, I'm confused myself, it's not easy to think off head and Walkerman don't make it easier asking about latest music from a old band, LOL
cheers
fongie

Fongie, I just went through about 140 songs (they're on my pc) & picked probably 30 that I felt might qualify. Now these start with "Meet the Beatles" to "Let It Be" & now I have to try to narrow it down. I literally remember where I was when certain songs came out or what I was doing (won't go there!). I had a Beatles wig when I was a kid, & this was right after "The Dave Clark Five" had their first hit. I was young, but still remember all. Music reminds me of times in my life, it influenced me so much. Is that good or bad? :?

Quote from: BluesMan1 on May 26, 2009, 08:02:48 PM
   Fongie, I just went through about 140 songs (they're on my pc) & picked probably 30 that I felt might qualify. Now these start with "Meet the Beatles" to "Let It Be" & now I have to try to narrow it down. I literally remember where I was when certain songs came out or what I was doing (won't go there!). I had a Beatles wig when I was a kid, & this was right after "The Dave Clark Five" had their first hit. I was young, but still remember all. Music reminds me of times in my life, it influenced me so much. Is that good or bad? :?

Dead right, it's a reminder of my younger days as well, and I would not change anything. So much memories, yet the funny thing is, I feel it was only yesterday. I can turn back the clock and see those fond memories. These youngun's, will never know the 60's, 70's and the early 80's. They were the good old days of 'Rock & Roll'. Infact, I still play Lobo, Daniel Boone, Barry Blue,Mungo Jerry, Stott, Skeeter Davies, etc, etc. I have alot of the 60's & 70's in my CD collection.
cheers mate
fongie

Quote from: fongie on May 26, 2009, 06:40:37 PM
Walkerman, they are a 'OLD' band, there are 'NO' latest songs
cheers
fongie

Fongie....I know that.  I was asked the question latest songs or latest playlist.  Not my idea to say "latest songs"......since the Beatles broke up 40 years ago, how could there possibly be latest songs?

Quote from: fongie on May 26, 2009, 06:57:38 PM
Back in the 70's, I read an article about a band called 'Klatu'
That would be the Canadian band 'Klaatu'. More info here:
Klaatu from Toronto
Some great songs including 'Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft'.

dg

Here comes the sun
A day in the life
Revolution
Nowhere man
Norwegan wood
Blackbird
Tomorrow Never Knows
In my life
Taxman
Yesterday
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: Walkerman on May 27, 2009, 08:20:51 AM
Fongie....I know that.  I was asked the question latest songs or latest playlist.  Not my idea to say "latest songs"......since the Beatles broke up 40 years ago, how could there possibly be latest songs?

Sorry Walkerman
cheers
fongie

Quote from: dgrose on May 27, 2009, 09:11:09 AM
That would be the Canadian band 'Klaatu'. More info here:
Klaatu from Toronto
Some great songs including 'Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft'.

dg

Thanks for that dg, ahhhhh, that title sure brings back memories
cheers man
fongie

Ben, nice list, but I, as we all do have some other favs. One that I'm sure nobody will list is "Happieness is a Warm Gun". Some go for just music, some lyrics, but hopefully both. Again nice choices. :thumb

Quote from: BluesMan1 on May 27, 2009, 08:25:13 PM
   Ben, nice list, but I, as we all do have some other favs. One that I'm sure nobody will list is "Happieness is a Warm Gun". Some go for just music, some lyrics, but hopefully both. Again nice choices. :thumb

Bluesman1, never heard of that one before
cheers
fongie