Flat top strings

Started by alvinlam, May 22, 2009, 04:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi:
Has anyone ever use a flat top phosphor bronze wound strings before? Eg D'Addario has this type of strings. See http://store.daddario.com/category/145772/Flat_Top_Phosphor_Bronze_Wound

Can you provide your view on this type of strings versus say, regular phosphor bronze strings?  If there a particular type of guitar that is more suited for such strings?

This is my first posting in this forum.  Presently only has a D-03R, hoping to add a L-09 soon.  Thanks!
Yamaha LL-16 12 strings
Yamaha LL-TA
Tanglewood TW-15 DLX
Alhambra 5PA-PT
Mcilroy A25

"He who thinks he has all the answers probably hasn't heard all the questions."

These strings are designed to eliminate some of the SQUEAK your fingers make when playing.

The strings that do this the best are flat - wound strings.

What you are looking at are round-wound but machined down to make them smoother so that
your fingers don't squeak as much when you play.

What you gain is less squeak
what you may lose is a little bit of volume, they may not sound as loud
you may or may not notice a difference in tone.

They are called flat top - because they are something a person who plays a flat top with a flat pick might be interested in
since they do so much finger movement in their playing.

- Larry

- Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

I really like these strings.I use the EFT-17 (medium guage) on my Martin 000-15 tuned to C G C F G C .They do reduce finger noise.They also have a different feel.The tone is warm and not at all bright,which is what I want. They are different.  It's like with Feta cheese,you either love it or hate it.