Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Import Breedlove?  (Read 1738 times)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: November 12, 2003, 02:49:57 AM »

Have a freind with a shop in Miami that has the new Breedlove import's says there great guitars.Dave have you checked them out and what do you think?Review please. :D  

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Zach
Admin

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 05:31:18 AM »

I actually made a trip to try these out last Friday.  The shop I went to had a AD200/SM and I believe a AC25/SM.  The AD200 is a satin finish dread with solid spruce top and laminate mahogany back and sides.  The AC25 is a gloss finish concert body with solid spruce top and solid mahogany back.  The sides on these may be laminate, but I'm not sure.

My impression was that they are great guitars.  Not necessarily just for the money either.  I liked the satin finish a little bit better than the gloss in terms of looks.  Sound wise they were pretty similar.  Both were pretty bright, but the bass was definitely there.  The had the usual Breedlove sound, just not as complex as the high end ones.  They sounded better than some other guitars in the shop that were 2-3 times the price.  

My main complaint with them though is the necks.  Breedloves have, to me, a very thin neck to begin with, and all of the Atlas series have a 1 11/16" nut that feels even smaller.  To me this combination was way too small and uncomfortable for me.  Maybe its just that I'm used to wider, more full necks, but I was having a hard time with them.  

As far as constuction, they appeared to be as well made as anything in the shop.  I didn't study them real closely, but everything looked solid and there was no glue that I could see inside.  The setup was great also.  The build quality and sound is amazing for the price.  

If you can handle the small neck, I think they're great guitars, and the price cannot be beat.  I think the AD200 was around $325.  Not much else in this price range comes close to the sound.

Zach
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 03:23:00 PM »

Thanks for the review,I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Robb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2004, 04:44:28 AM »

I Agree, I bought an Atlas ac200 in november and although it sounded great and the construction was top notch, i could never get used to the neck, i traded back to the dealer today for a larrivee rosewood parlor guitar for the wider neck...Robb

Martin 000-15s
Martin 000-28EC
 Ibanez Jetking1
 Ibanez Classical
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 10:02:18 PM »

I played an Atlas series dread last week at Elderly's in Lansing MI....it was a "full blown" abalone everywhere instrument......great sound for off the shelf.....as noted above, the nut width is a big problem......I think it was priced at 745 w/o a case......Todd

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
naboz
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 08:42:45 PM »

That was my impression also.  I played the C body w/cutaway (AC25SM) and a dred (AD200) at Elderly.  As stated, I was really hoping the nut would be comfortable, but it just didnt cut it for my style. I also didnt like that you cant get the cutaway w/o the electrical box.  Otherwise, cant beat the quality and the sound was really nice for the price.

naboz
Frederickmando

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 06:16:38 PM »

I agree with the workmanship and quality comments on the Atlas line. I also had some problems with the neck. The salesman actually told me that the neck design was better for my hand position. I think I saw it another way.
I like the Larrivee neck or the Tacoma neck the best. Some Martins are nice, but they tend to vary their styles a lot.
--Fred
guitaradoptions
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 06:35:40 PM »

I agree with everyones posts. I think the low end AC200SM and AD200SM are great buys. Once you get to the higher end Atlas models, I would strongly push someone towards a Larrivee. But if someone only has $3-$400 to spend, then I think they are doing well to buy the Atlas.
(Or save a little longer and buy a Larrivee 03 Series that you will probably keep the rest of your life!) ;)  

goliathslayer

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 01:19:09 AM »

The AD20 Dreadnought is an amazing guitar for the money. IT's Roeswood, althought thes sides are laminate.

It's very amazin though how much you can FEEL the top of those guitars vibrate due to their proprietarty Bridge truss. THe strings actually stay on top of the guitar thru the bridge (Like a top loader tele) and the strain is compensated for by this truss coming down and holding tension (presumably connected to the rear block of the guitar)

I like my L-03, but if you want prewar Martin for $600, might want to try one of these babies
Ratishna
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 03:13:52 AM »

Great sound, great price, thin neck.  Some people like that neck and call it "fast."  Not me.

E. Shoaf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: