Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fretboard Oil  (Read 4068 times)
12barBill

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2004, 01:13:57 PM »

What have you guys found to be the best fretboard oil. I have always used lemon oil (Formby's from the wood finishing section at Lowe's). Not a true guitar use product. It contains petroleum distilates and I have read that they are not too good for your fretboard, but I have never noticed any problems.

Most other lemon oil (guitar use) products contain petroleum distilates or alcohol anyway.

Rob mentioned in a previous post to scrap the lemon oil and use boiled linseed oil. Dumb question #1 : Can you buy boiled linseed oil or do you buy linseed oil and boil it before use (hey, if you don't know you gotta ask, ya know?).

Larrivee mentions on their website that they don't recommend using any oil on the fretboard. Kind of wondered why because most people do. They just recommend humidity control.

I like the dark lustre that you get from oiling the fretboard (and the bridge). I think it gives the guitar a nice look.

What has anyone else used.  
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 01:20:40 PM »

Boiled linseed oil is purchased that way. Most hardware stores will carry it, as its a common wood preservative. Some wood products will be unfinished and just have the linseed oil rubbed in to provide a 'finish'. It does darken woods slightly.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 01:31:13 PM »

Lizard Spit from Elderly's gets the job done just fine ;)  

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Eastman E10OM Sunburst - Mahogany/Adirondack for sale 650.00
Larrivee OM-05E Mahogany/Sitka for sale 750.00
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 02:43:00 PM »

I use the boiled linseed oil about twice a year.When I clean the greymatter off a fingerboard I feel it helps keep the wood happy.You shouldn't have to oil a board more then twice a year.Remember wipe on wipe off.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
12barBill

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 03:03:12 PM »

Rob,

Do you mean wipe on and immediately wipe off. I have always rubbed on with my fingertip and let soak for around 20 minutes, and then wipe dry. Do you think that's bad?

What type of boiled linseed oil do you use (brand, from where)?

Do you also do the bridge?

Does linseed oil give that dark lustre? I suppose it would.

Have you ever heard of a product called  Smith's Wax Polish? The container states it's for "oil finished instruments" and contains "beeswax, lemon oil, and other fine oils." Someone at a local music store recommended it.
AcousTronic

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 03:08:46 PM »

When I clean the greymatter off a fingerboard I feel it helps keep the wood happy.
What is best method for getting the dirt off the fretboard? I have always used the finest grade of steel wool (I think it's the '00') but is there a non abrasive way to do it?
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 03:14:06 PM »

Most fingers are oily enough. Lemon oil is a no no as far as I've ever heard. Drying factor exceeds cleaning factor. I use a damp cloth occasionally.  
surfpick

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 03:18:42 PM »

There is a grade of steel wool   #0000
but I just use a small dab of mineral oil
on a small towel and lots of elbow grease.

I buff it all off right away and it always looks great.

Anyone ever see the Usenet thread where the guy responded;

" I tried the lemon juice.. but now my fretboard seems sticky? "

Haha

best regards,
Ra
[a href=\"http://surfpick.com\"] surfpick.com [/a]
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 03:23:36 PM »

Y'all are going to laugh, but I have always used olive oil. :D   Now the only caveat I will add is that I have never used it on a fingerboard that contains inlays.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 03:23:36 PM »

I use Parks boiled linseed oil.I clean the fingerboard with 0000 steelwool.By wipe on wipe off I coat the fingerboard with the oil count to 10 wipe off,this helps to remove steel wool splinters and does all it needs to to moisturize the board.Wax is great for surf boards and snow ski's not guitars it seals up the pores.I do not believe you need more then twice a year oiling.and Duck is right that your own body oil does a great job of conditioning the wood,that said when the sweet and other assorted crap builds up and you scub it away with steel wool I find that the linseed oil is a very nice treat for the wood.If you let any oil soak in you can cause damage in the form of softening the glue.

Please forgive any bad english or mis=spelling as I'm just an old repairperson and my brain doesn't quit wok well in that vain anymore. B)  

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
rustychicken

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 03:31:16 PM »

i've got some fretboard cleaner by Petros from FQMS. it has no distillates.  like unclrob said, i think you should only use it about twice a year. haven't tried it yet, but for 5 bucks, one bottle should last me till i reach 80. ;)   47 years worth of freboard oil for 5 smackaroonies isn't too bad.

12barBill

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 03:50:46 PM »

Well, I've probably never used the lemon oil more than twice in a years time. One main reason I have kind of given the board a slight soaking is that it darkens a rosewood board and makes it look more ebony like. I have turned a rosewood board almost black (very,very, deep, dark brown).

My intent for the topic was not so much about cleaning the board but oiling it, primarily for the look it gives. As I said before, I like the dark lustre you get. Just curious about what is good, what is bad, what can harm, etc.

Rob, no problem with the spelling, etc. If you saw how slow I type, and how much I have to back up and make corrections you would get a good chuckle. I'm pretty bad. I appreciate your input. Don't forget, you have a friend for life bra.  
FNG
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 03:55:10 PM »

Boiled linseed very occasionally, and usually only after giving a fretboard a good cleaning with the lighest gauge steel wool.  Not really needed on ebony, maybe once a year.  Tiny tiny bit on a rag, apply being careful not to get sloppy.  Let it soak a couple minutes than wipe extra clean.  

http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Frederickmando

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 05:37:04 PM »

I have been using the Petros oil from FQMS as well. I can't believe that some people recommend oiling the fretboard every time you change strings.
Also, Brian at Larrivee recommends double boiled linseed oil. Has anyone tried that?
Does the 0000 steel wool leave any marks or scratches?
--Fred
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 05:58:01 PM »

I've never seen double boiled linseed oil.0000 leaves very tiny tiny marks but thats about it,you are rubbing steel on wood its going to leave some sort of mark but nothing the oil can't relieve.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2004, 06:49:29 PM »

Dr. Duck's Ax Wax and string lube;

no abrasives
no synthetics
no silicones
no acids

no problem mon... B)  

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
naboz
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2004, 09:16:04 PM »

Duck Ax Wax or Lizard Spit...hmmm, oil of newt, bat eyes   :huh:
I just rub my greasy face on the board   :)  
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2004, 09:44:00 PM »

Duck Ax Wax or Lizard Spit...hmmm, oil of newt, bat eyes   :huh:
I just rub my greasy face on the board   :)
A lot easier if you take the strings off first! :D  

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2004, 11:42:05 AM »

I'll second the endorsement for Lizard Spit (which is mostly orange oil as far as I can tell).

Cleans and conditions, and I've never had a problem of it drying out the ebony fingerboard on my L-03.

-Scott

Lizard Spit link below:
http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/LSFC.htm

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Dan1954

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2006, 01:19:44 AM »

Today I used 0000 steel wool and mineral oil on my fretboard. It did a beautiful job. I used the food grade oil thinking there probably weren't any nasty chemicals in it. I also put a light coat on the bridge. New set of strings and my OM-03 is singing like a bird... :mellow:

Dan
Ypsilanti, Michigan

Fender F 265-C
Larrivee OM-03
Gibson SG 62' Reissue
Washburn Rover
Late 60's Crestwood Astral II

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: