Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yamaha guitars  (Read 2815 times)
bumpkin1

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2009, 01:58:57 AM »

Hey all, I was looking for a beater guitar, and got a sweet deal on a Yamaha 730S for about 200 dollars. This was my first Yamaha, but it won't be my last!

I was absolutely blown away by the sound a quality of this guitar. It's made in China, but I read that they pass through Japanese inspection criteria or something?

All I can say is this guitar sounds like a 1000 dollar job, and the quality is excellent too. (Far surpassing Gibson, which isn't hard to do these days) There are absolutely NO uneven frets, glue showing, or anything elsed. The belly does seem to bulge more than other guitars i've owned, but I think the bracing may be lighter or something. (Hey, for 200 bucks if it lasts 5 yrs. i've got my money's worth)

I think i'd be more than willing to put this guitar against a Taylor. Anybody else have opinions or experience with these guitars?

Jason
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 03:28:16 AM »

yes , I have lots but mine are all old ones, oldest dates to the early `50s from what I gather. Mine are old Dynamic nylon strings though some guys here string them with steels, and in fact Yamaha made Dynamic steels to go with their guitars iof the same name back when and I tries a couple with steels but the saddles aren`t intonated and I find they sound far better with nylons...well worth keeping an eye open for if you like Yamahas these Dynamics are still largely unknown and genuine little gems...all solid wood too. Went out of producction in `66 as far as I can tell, the same year Yamaha began the FGs in their own factory that opened that year.
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 12:43:56 PM »

That is a great sounding guitar for the money.  It will last a lot longer than 5 years.  I have a FG-355II that I've owned for 28 years and it's still alive and kicking.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
alvinlam

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 02:35:16 PM »

Hey all, I was looking for a beater guitar, and got a sweet deal on a Yamaha 730S for about 200 dollars. This was my first Yamaha, but it won't be my last!

I was absolutely blown away by the sound a quality of this guitar. It's made in China, but I read that they pass through Japanese inspection criteria or something?

All I can say is this guitar sounds like a 1000 dollar job, and the quality is excellent too. (Far surpassing Gibson, which isn't hard to do these days) There are absolutely NO uneven frets, glue showing, or anything elsed. The belly does seem to bulge more than other guitars i've owned, but I think the bracing may be lighter or something. (Hey, for 200 bucks if it lasts 5 yrs. i've got my money's worth)

I think i'd be more than willing to put this guitar against a Taylor. Anybody else have opinions or experience with these guitars?

Jason
The Japanese places key Japanese personnel in key position to ensure quality is akin to that in homeland. So though certain models are produced in China, Indonesia, etc, the end product is still great because of "Quality Control - QC"  This is not only true for guitars but cars, piano, etc, as well.  rolleye

Unfortunately, Yamaha suffered some prejudices and preconceived as low quality stuff by certain folks, many without trying.  I'm glad you did and came away happy.   bowdown Yamaha's L-series (aka Lotus series) is excellent range to consider and all handcrafted too. Worth your while to check it out too.   

Yamaha LL-16 12 strings
Tanglewood TW-15 DLX
Alhambra 5PA-PT
Mcilroy A25

"He who thinks he has all the answers probably hasn't heard all the questions."
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 02:42:11 AM »

guess they`re called Lotus overseas but in the books I own with articles on Yamaha, the L stood for Luxury in Japan.
Over the past few years there have been many news stories on Japanese companies who haven`t quite lived up to the standards and/or quality control many thought were the norm. Architects who reduced the number of steel rods in concrete to cut corners...in a quake prone country like this, unforgivable... causing thousands to have to abandon their condos because they were deamed unsafe, then the companies declared bankrupcy to avoid having to pay fines...no idea what happened to this story since it`s disappeared from public view.
How `bout the cute old kimono clad lady who ran a high end restaurant in Osaka that was started by her father, she was caught recycling food...yes, recycling food left on plates by customers...she had to close down. Relabeling of food...too many stories to list...companies recycling food that was past due date...too many to mention. Think America has a monopoly on white collar crime? think again. Hiding money from the gov`t should be the national sport not judo. Stories of the sex trade would certainly fog up a lot of the rose colored glasses westerners wear when thinking of Japan...mine came off years ago. Visiting for 2 weeks is totally different from living here for years. Quality control ain`t what it used to be.
bumpkin1

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 08:58:10 PM »

Well, I can't speak for their construction habits or food preparation processes, but they sure do make guitars that spank the pants off of any other Asian guitar manufacturer!
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 04:28:35 AM »

actually, Japan has a lot of top notch builders these days just that since they don`t get exported very few people outside the country seem to know about em. Personally there are only a couple of FG models that appeal to me, which have been out of production for years, the new stuff I see everytime I go into shops and frankly I`ve never been tempted. Old Yamahas on the other hand I have plenty of and am always watching for more, they just don`t make em like they used to, for the most part...not talking about the $15,000.oo models...though I`m very happy with my 10 year old LL33J, fabulous guitar.
gary0319

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 01:58:42 AM »

I too am a recent devotee of the 700 series Yamahas. My first was a FG730S that I got on sale for not much more than the OP. I tweaked the set up a little and swapped out the stock plastic saddle for a Colosi bone.............BIG difference.

Then, I found that Yamaha makes a smaller version only in Mahogany/Spruce, the FS720S, for even less $$.  Last week I snagged a new in the box Tobacco Burst off of Craigs list. This is a great little chunk of a guitar: 14 7/8 lower bout, 4 3/4 depth at the end pin, 25" scale. Another Colosi bone is on the way Here's some pics of the new one and a group shot of the FG730S, the FS720S and my recently aquired Taylor GC-4 just for size comparison. I'm firmly in the Yamaha camp, but I have a hard time calling them beaters.

Taylor Custom GC all mahogany
Tayor 812c (1997)
Taylor 612c (1994)
Yamaha FG730S
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Samick Greg Bennett OM-08CE
djsonovox

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 08:44:29 AM »

Man, those photos are gorgeous! My only quibble with the recent Yamahas is they need to scallop their braces.

I do love my old FG-512, slot-head 12-string from 1975, though. I play it at open mics all the time, with a Fishman Neo-D. Somehow, I don't mind the "mag-pickup sound" when it's from a 12 string.

Doug Jones,
in Northern Karloffornia

Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele
Lanakai Bari Uke
alvinlam

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 09:24:12 AM »

Man, those photos are gorgeous! My only quibble with the recent Yamahas is they need to scallop their braces.

I do love my old FG-512, slot-head 12-string from 1975, though. I play it at open mics all the time, with a Fishman Neo-D. Somehow, I don't mind the "mag-pickup sound" when it's from a 12 string.

Doug Jones,
in Northern Karloffornia

Yes, those photos are excellent! I used to have FG512 too but alas sold it after having it since 1981. 

Yamaha LL-16 12 strings
Tanglewood TW-15 DLX
Alhambra 5PA-PT
Mcilroy A25

"He who thinks he has all the answers probably hasn't heard all the questions."
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 02:10:30 AM »

go higher up in the Yamaha line-up to get scalloped bracing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: