"Who Really Likes Taylors?"

Started by BluesMan1, May 16, 2009, 01:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Let's start an opposite thread than the other. Then see if the answers are any different. Just curious.
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Not me (see my post in the other thread..........)
2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2006 Fender American Telecaster
2007 Schecter C-1 Exotic Star (w/ Bare Knuckle Black Dog pups)
2003 Yamaha RGX420

I really like my Taylor twelve string.  I've owned a few others.  The 514ce that I no longer have was really nice, but my Lowden with the same wood combinations blows it away.  My only reservation with Taylor is that they seem to put more emphasis on appearance than tone at times.  I recently went to a Taylor road show.  All the guitars were visually gorgeous.  (Of course they had many high end ones and were also pushing the custom order option)  Only a few really grabbed me with how great they sounded.  The all Koa, I forget which model, was stunning to see, but it did nothing for me in tone.  It reminded me of a hot looking, dumb girl.  One interesting thing that they did at the roadshow was to play different models built with the same wood combinations, and in that the GS model I thought sounded best, fuller, more balanced and versatle with both picking and strumming.  I wouldn't mind a short scale GS in Coccoabolla with a cedar top.  For me that would meet all three requirements of sound, aesthetics and function.

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

I think Taylor makes a really good guitar.  I have a couple of Taylor guitars, and I would have to say my 1996 Taylor 712 is one of the nicest sounding guitars I have played.  Like others have said on the thread, I feel that Taylor spends a lot of thought and effort to also make the guitars visually attractive.  What a treat we all have to have so many really good guitar makers. 

Dave, I agree with all you said. Alot of eye-candy put on. But, I will admit, they do make some nice sounding guitars. But overall, it's that same bright, trebles. If you like that, that's cool. I like a balance guitar that can give you those highs, as I said on the other thread. Larrivees fit that sound for me exactly. My Baden, even though having Taylor know-how in them (Mr.Baden was a CEO for Taylor in R & D for over 13 yrs.), they sound totally different. Much more balanced, like a larrivee & my A Style is great for blues.
   I posted a nonsensical post last night just for the reason explained. It's personal preference & I just thought maybe the thread needed an opposite approach to change the thread tone a little. And, no, I wasn't drunk when I posted that one. Don't drink, just trying to make a point in a humorous way! No one responded to it, which is actually good. Thought I'd wake up with lots of PM's or emails!. It was just to read, not to respond to. I thought another thread like this one would weed out some of the comments that might just be posts for the sake of posting. Most were good, explaining that they like Taylors. Not much detail, though, except from rob.
   Let's see where this one goes, then compare comments. Sound like a good idea?
     Jeff   :guitar

Taylor is a triumph of great advertising. Having said that, I once played a 310 that warmed my cold heart.
L-03 Italian Spruce

This whole Taylor thing is really tired.  

I had a very nice 815 that wasn't "thin" in the least.   In retrospect, I wish I would have not sold it due to a cross country move.  I also had a nice 854 limited in cocobolo that was a beautiful guitar, but the small concert size body didn't work for my style or more aggressive strumming.  

They make a solid guitar.  They market them well, and sell a ton of them.  Good for them.  An outstanding business model...wish they sold stock.
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

That was the point of my last post on the other thread. Didn't know how to say it w/o offending anyone. Got played out after a while. That was actually the only point of this thread. Kinda like, what was said, was said, but too many times. Was played out. I'll remove it if you want to post those comments on the other Taylor thread. Any takers?

Quote from: Roman on May 16, 2009, 01:07:04 PM
Those that have been saying they don't like Taylors have their own opinions, but in my mind, they are coming from inexperienced, and ignorant (as in uniformed) minds. 

Luckily in the real world if we have a different opinion it doesn't mean we are ignorant. The 'people who don't care for Taylor' bashing is uncalled for.

OK I'm going to agree with Roman tone and feel is all that count.Just look at the varity of guitars in his sign..Here's a guy that know's. :+1:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I guess there is an element of personal suitability and subjectivity here. I'm not sure though, after playing many many Taylors, why someone would buy one of the high numbered expensive ones over a Santa Cruz or Lowden, and so on, or a used git from a talented sole builder who is newish and hasn't got high prices yet.

I've not found any of these "ignorant" opinions in the threads; all the posts seem to come from considered experience.  Anyway, I like a heated debate. When everybody agrees it is a bit of a bore. Or someone is biting their tongue.

L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: hadden on May 16, 2009, 03:47:34 PM
I guess there is an element of personal suitability and subjectivity here. I'm not sure though, after playing many many Taylors, why someone would buy one of the high numbered expensive ones over a Santa Cruz or Lowden, and so on, or a used git from a talented sole builder who is newish and hasn't got high prices yet.

Very well said. I would much rather buy a Lowden or Santa Cruz than a Taylor.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

rob, I have to agree with Jeremy & not totally with you. Just because Roman has a list of guitars a mile long doesn't mean he's an expert. Could just be GAS or never selling something he buys. My brother has 14 guitars, because he's never parted with one (plus he's a professional guitarist). His opinion is just that, but his comments were a little strong. Why say that kind of crap, even if you are just expressing your opinion. You (Roman), or anybody, don't have the right to call anyone on the Forum ignorant & inexperienced, w/o personally knowing them! How do you know that all are young, inexperienced players? I'm 51, been playing for 33+ yrs. so, in your mind &opinion, do I fall under that catagory?
   I will agree that I have found that there are some who post w/o knowing what the hell they're talking about, but because they say that they don't like Taylors, doesn't warrant your statements. I like some Taylors, but very few. That's my opinion. Put them on the wall, & I like them even better. That's my opinion. Are you going to call me ignorant & inexperienced? I would hope that you would be tactful enough not to & show some class & try, if you can, to explain why you feel that you are better than those you refer to.
   And rob, please don't step in on this one? Sounds like Roman is a big enough boy to talk for himself. He might have a self-control issue, I don't know, but his next post will show! :?

I was just agreeing with the beginning of the post "This whole Taylor thing is really tired. ".It come's up every now and again and I agree it always seems to get nasty.The other statements in the post is just Roman and I've been called worst and as they say opinions are like******** everyone has one,I just let it roll off.No defence meant.I myself have owned hundreds of guitars in my 44+ years spent as many working on,disecting,inspecting and rejecting and will never consider myself an expert.I was just stateing that he has .......well.............................. a big list of guitars. :whistling:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I agree. He does. Let's just stop. It's that simple. And Lynda, enough. :thumb
Jeff

You have to play individual guitars to know for sure because there are aways exceptions within a large set. Generally Taylors don't do it for me -- but then there was that Taylor koa/englemann dread that had the lovliest treble I've heard on any guitar.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Although as I wrote in the other threads none of the Taylor acoustics I've played has lit my fire, my mate has a T5 which is a VERY nice musical instrument indeed.

e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT9eyWrUVpA

:nice guitar:
2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2006 Fender American Telecaster
2007 Schecter C-1 Exotic Star (w/ Bare Knuckle Black Dog pups)
2003 Yamaha RGX420

I agree that the T-5's & new electrics are totally different. Electrics, basically. The T-5 just is chambered & has f-holes, plus an EQ that can give it a nice acoustic sound, then switch right over to a nasty electric sound. Cool. Still feel the same about Taylor acoustics. I'd like to a/b a Taylor solid-body with a Larrivee one. Both, about the same, except the usual p/u differences, etc.. Wonder how close they are? My bet is pretty close, & Taylor priced theirs close to the Larrivees. There it is again, Taylor trying to compete with Larrivee. Remember, Jean was building electrics along time ago. Stopped, & went back to steel-string guitars. Just followed the market. Had to stay in business back then, the guitar scene changing very quickly back then. I'm referring to the interesting way that Taylor made their GS series, like an exact copy of the L body. Wonder why that is? :whistling:

I like some Taylors, but prefer Martins or Larrivees to other Taylors. I don't mean to exclude Gibsons, but I haven't had a Gibson acoustic in a million years to compare them in the mix.

I have a Taylor 315ce, a cutaway jumbo with their ES system. It's a great sounding guitar with a lot of versatility for performing plugged in or playing unplugged.

I also have a Taylor T5 Spring Limited... hybrid electric/acoustic identity crisis guitar.

Personally, my preferred acoustic tone is slightly boomier than a Taylor gives me back in anything but the jumbo models. That's why I have an L03SP and a D03SO, not to mention an incredible sounding Martin DM, jokingly known as my signature model because of the coincidental initials.

Now, that said... I have never seen a Larrivee jumbo. If I did, all bets about the Taylor might be off.
Larrivee L03SP, (all sapele)
Taylor 110
Martin DSM
Silver Creek T-160

I wouldn't mind giving one of the GS5s a spin. Of couse being a Lefty I would have to Buy to Try.
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29