Who doesn't like Taylor??

Started by mrkpower, May 15, 2009, 12:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I wouldn't play a Taylor over a Larrivee, but they still have a nice unique sound. Ive played 314s as well as 810s and I think they sound great!  :whistling:
2002 Yamaha F310-TBS (Sandy/K&K PWM)
2008 Larrivee D-03R (Luna/K&K PWM)

For my taste, and I guess playing style, Larrivee's are better guitars for fingerpicking & strumming.  Had a Larri D-10 which I sold because for a dread, it didn't pack any punch.  Years ago I had a Taylor 810 dread which in retrospect I regret selling.  That thing could boom.

Now I've settled on a sweet Taylor DN5 for a dread.  I'm very satisfied with that and a couple of Larrivees, one of which is the Forum III. 

So to answer the question, I love both Taylor and Larrivee.  I also find them very similar in regard to neck, playability, etc.

:cheers

I can't say enough to express my admiration for Mr. Bob Taylor in raising the bar for mass-produced quality acoustic-electric guitars.

Since I play plugged in, 25% of the time, I applaud their innovation of their proprietary ES (expression system) pick-up.
Some love it. Some don't.

I also like how they came up with a hybrid - T5... and now their solid body gits and their latest one with the Bigsby? thinga-ma-jig.

Above all, I like their beautiful exotic woods (they should stick to wood bindings only - period... none of this ivoroid plastic) - they should do their backs like Mr. Larrivee does his - that looks like a one-piece.

Lynda... the R. Taylor line comes in Style 2 model now - which is really the Grand Concert size... and you can specify the most responsive and thinnest bracing insider if you like... and put the most dizzying hypnotic highly figured dead tree for the back and sides. And how about some creamy Adi or Engelmann or better yet Italian spruce top (you'd have to beg JCL for one).

Oooooppsss... I digressed.

Again, for the money --- 1000-1500... I'll take the Larrivee.

At 2000 northwards --- I'd take the Taylor with ES every time or Collings or MacPherson.

ricky

Mr. Bob Taylor has made a giant guitar monster that just won't stop growing, thanks to all of the "scarce" wood he been piling up. Besides all of the now non-endangered. It's like the Joni Mitchall song, "Raised on Robbery", where they "take all the trees & put 'em in a tree museum". That time will come, thanks to Bobby- Baby, instead of the joker, the "Grinner". You ever wonder why he has that scary grin on his face? It's because of all of the plastic surgery he's had & now it's fixed!  :humour:
   IMHO, only the R. Taylors are worth the look-see & and they are worth every penny!
   Besides, I don't like Taylors. They all sound too much alike. Can you tell? Give me "honest-Abe Larrivee" with his genuine smile from making US happy, not trying to find people to promote his guitars & giving them away to musicians to play to show the name & make HIM happy!  :wacko:
   Give me Larrivee or give me death! Hey, I'm going to try to sell that one.
   Now, where's that damn Taylor Forum thread. I have something to say to them. :roll
     Jeff   :guitar
   Here's my point, like I said before. You either like them or you don't. What people like is their business & shouldn't be open for contradiction of their feelings. Some like Martins, some like Gibsons. It almost seems like all of us are sying the same thing over & over, but in slightly different ways. Taylor lovers, take off those rose-colored glasses & see the light! larrivee is the best for the $ & that's just right!
   Boy, am i going to get beat up for this late night post.TGIF! Maybe no one will notice?
   And by the way, other than the good stuff i said about larrivee, this all meant as a joke! Mr Taylor has raised the bar on what Ricky mentioned & also his tax bracket! :+1:
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Quote from: jeremy3220 on May 15, 2009, 10:04:22 AM
Overall I'm not a fan. I've played two Taylors I liked and the rest left me cold. A lot of them sound real thin, I wouldn't use the term bright. But even the ones that aren't thin sounding seem to be missing something, like they sound sterile or lack mojo(to me anyway). Playing a Taylor is like kissing a dead person(just kidding...kind of). Plus I don't like the way they look.

That's exactly how I felt about the Taylors I've played (admittedly nothing in the serious money category) - couldn't put it better myself.  I tried a few when looking for my first decent acoustic, and they all felt too clinical, with no soul - first time I picked up a Larrivee, it was a completely different feeling - it just felt totally "right" straight away.  Still does.

(Just for the record, I've never [knowingly] kissed a dead person.....).

2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2006 Fender American Telecaster
2007 Schecter C-1 Exotic Star (w/ Bare Knuckle Black Dog pups)
2003 Yamaha RGX420

Ricky,

I'm totally aware that the R. Taylor Style 2 is the GC. Gotta admit that I would love one of these, but unless I win the lottery,it's not likely gonna happen. Speaking of the lottery, I better check my tickets from last night. :roll
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

I am usually not much of a Taylor fan either. As Jeremy said they seem to lack MOJO or something. Then again, I haven't felt many Larrivee's that kick the MOJO switch either! I did play one 712 that was absolutely an incredible instrument.

In fact, I wish I would have bought it instead of my 000-60. It was a killer guitar and had, ready for this, WAY BETTER BALANCE, and SUBSTANTIALLY better bass response than any Larrivee I have ever played. It was one of those descions I regret, because the Taylor on the headstock got in the way of my ears making the purchase.

As I was playing the 712, for about the 50th visit to the shop, I finished up a tune in Drop D and let her ring out and the bass just swelled up and was sooooooooooo deep and resonate, it felt spiritual. I thought, dam it to hell, I'm buying this instrument. I stood up and then realized where a large portion of that giant bass was eminating from. The room humidifier was right behind the stool I was sitting on and the motor in it was droning along a perfrect D pedal tone in the same octave as my dropped E string!

In all seriousness that 712 was a good guitar. Probably as good as the 00-50 I passed on at the Music Emporium in Lexington Mass about 2 1/2 years ago. Still regret that one BIG time!

Quote from: GA-ME on May 16, 2009, 06:28:03 AM

As I was playing the 712, for about the 50th visit to the shop, I finished up a tune in Drop D and let her ring out and the bass just swelled up and was sooooooooooo deep and resonate, it felt spiritual. I thought, dam it to hell, I'm buying this instrument. I stood up and then realized where a large portion of that giant bass was eminating from. The room humidifier was right behind the stool I was sitting on and the motor in it was droning along a perfrect D pedal tone in the same octave as my dropped E string!

That's funny but also a good lesson about being aware of the acoustic environment you try out guitars in. It's easy for a guitar to sound huge when you play it in a room lined with reflective and resonanting guitars.

I was just trying a guitar yesterday...I was in a pretty big room and couldn't hear the guitar very well...so I sat about in front of big wooden door about 18 inches from the soundhole.  That sound reflected right back in my face and sounded huge...
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Hey GA-ME, you want your MOJO switch kicked? Have you tried an SD-50 or -60? The OOO won't do the job. You need one of the bigger dread bodies that just blow away ANY Taylor around the same price, or more. They are like "rockets in your pockets", kinda. My SD will knock the socks off any martin D-18 or a similar Taylor. Just stating a fact. Lacks all of the biggg bottom end of the-60's or other RW's, but it still has plenty of bass. I'd put it up against any HOG dread & it will sound better. Unless we're talking prewar Martin D-18's or such.
   All guitars are different, that's why you play more than one until you find "yours". Like Jeremy said also, the environment you're playing in makes a big difference. Stores just don't have acoustic rooms for climate control, but also so they can control the sound of the room. Ever notice that guitars tend to sound better in the store's room than when you first get it home. Just doesn't sound the same. Some might, but most won't, unless you have a room at home designed just like the stores!
   Your story adds credence to this & all should be aware of this. Liked it & it was funny. Sounds like you already know alot of this, so others pay attention. It can save you a trip returning a guitar that you're just not happy with when it gets home. And if you're referring to "something spiritual", please don't swear right after :humour:
     Jeff  :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

As a relative newbie here, I have to say how pleased I am at the good manners with which this thread has progressed. I can tell you for certain, (and I'm sure many of you know the forum of which I speak), there are other places where this would have collapsed into a bonfire of nasty, "if you don't own (the forum brand), you aint worth what went down the toilet."

I'm new here, but have been a member of the Acoustic Guitar Forum for a long time and I always admired how well their "Be Nice" rule seemed to work. I compliment myself on the good taste to have found you folks now!

And for the record, as I wrote in the other thread about who likes Taylors, I do like some Taylors that best fit an intended purpose. I do have a couple, a 315ce jumbo and a T5 Spring Ltd.

I have also had a 314, a 410ce and a 414Koa Ltd that I just sold.

My preference is for a more bass oriented sound without always going all the way into Martinland, though I do also ave a Martin dread.

Having recently discovered Larrivees, I feel that I've found the happy medium and I find myself more frequently playing my L03SP, (all sapele) and my D03SO, the incredible silver oak dread I recently got.

Regards,
Dennis
Larrivee L03SP, (all sapele)
Taylor 110
Martin DSM
Silver Creek T-160

I remember playing a 510 years ago that was really nice. But Im not a Dread guy, and the smaller OM-000 style guitars didn't float my boat tone-wise.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.

I had a 510 for 10 years, I liked it a lot.  Then I discovered Larrivee...every story has a happy ending.  :winkin:
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I've owned one taylor so far and played several.  If you find one with the tone that you like then it's probably worth the money(maybe)  I do feel that for the amount of production they do, that they are a bit over priced.  I've never been a huge fan of the expression system either.  Not enough Umph for me personally. 
Having said all that, they do sound well live with a Fishman or K&K pick up and the one I owned was a true work horse of a guitar. 
I have a buddy that has a 90's 710 and it's a killer guitar.  Awesome tone! But your going to pay for it too!
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

Quote from: bluesman67 on May 20, 2009, 07:49:46 PM
I had a 510 for 10 years, I liked it a lot.  Then I discovered Larrivee...every story has a happy ending.  :winkin:

My story is pretty much the same.  I had aTaylor 810 for eight years (we refer to them as "the lost years"), and was quite happy until I played my son's L03. And yes, every story does have a happy ending.  My 4th Larry is on the way, a lovely JCL 40th Anniversary model that I purchased from a fellow Forum member. 

And what's with the plastic binding on those Taylor's? 

jimmy

Quote from: jimmy buffett on June 08, 2009, 03:43:58 PM
My story is pretty much the same.  I had aTaylor 810 for eight years (we refer to them as "the lost years"), and was quite happy until I played my son's L03. And yes, every story does have a happy ending.  My 4th Larry is on the way, a lovely JCL 40th Anniversary model that I purchased from a fellow Forum member. 

And what's with the plastic binding on those Taylor's? 

jimmy

Congrats Jimmy, those JLC 40's look spectacular and I'm sure sound equal to the task.  That's a very nice find, I saw that one in the for sale section, a real beauty.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I got a Taylor for my birthday about 10 years ago. I kept it 3 weeks and traded it for recording equipment. Sorry it just was the thing to do.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: BluesMan1 on May 18, 2009, 01:23:18 AM
   Hey GA-ME, you want your MOJO switch kicked? Have you tried an SD-50 or -60? The OOO won't do the job. You need one of the bigger dread bodies that just blow away ANY Taylor around the same price, or more. They are like "rockets in your pockets", kinda. My SD will knock the socks off any martin D-18 or a similar Taylor. Just stating a fact. Lacks all of the biggg bottom end of the-60's or other RW's, but it still has plenty of bass. I'd put it up against any HOG dread & it will sound better. Unless we're talking prewar Martin D-18's or such...    Jeff
Or maybe the D-18GE (built mostly like it was in 1934).  The SD-50 is a cannon, so to speak.  But the GE is a larger barrel cannon.  And to my ears a flatpicker's dream.  So the SD went down the road.  I'd still have it if I was a collector.  That was a beautifully voiced instrument and wonderfully built.  Used it was a lot cheaper than the GE.  The GE is a lot cheaper than a D-18A "Authentic" which is about as good a factory guitar as you'll ever see these days.
Play it daily for best results.

I'm not a fan.  I've played one here or there that was okay, but none that ever "wowed" me.

For the same $, there are many other guitars I'd rather have that I feel are far superior.

Taylor has brought the art of quality machine production to a fine art, which essentially means that you can pick p an Taylor and it will sound to the same standard. This is not the case with the Larrivées I've tried. Every one is slightly different, and some sound better than others, IMHO.

It is for this very reason that I prefer my Larrivée OM-03RE to any Taylor I've tried - and to the Larrivée OM-03RE that was next to it in the shop! When they ring out, they really RING out. I've just been strumming my OM with Bumble Bee thumb pick, and the guitar has new Elixir Nanoweb strings on. Result? Beautiful ringing tones, huge volume and absolute clarity. Taylors don't give such highs and lows. They're good guitars, but there's no fun if you can't search for that elusive "ME" quality!

Cheers,

Will