Who doesn't like Taylor??

Started by mrkpower, May 15, 2009, 12:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quotebut just could not stand the feel of the "micarda"

I was a bit concerned about the Micarta but I don't think that is that big a deal...it is different though.
Ruben

My 000-50 would be my desert island guitar (over my NRP "Model 97" Tricone and my Kalamazoo KHG-14) but my Larrivee L-05 12 string and my Larrivee OM-03R 12-string were replaced with a Taylor 355 12-string. I wasn't a big Taylor fan after buying a POC Baby that had the nut cut wrong and was hard to keep in tune and I really don't like the sound of their 6-strings (they sound better than Ovation un-plugged) but as far as the 355 I went through a Martin DM-12 and the two Larrivees in a 12 month period and it just sounded better than everything else, still have it 3 years later.

Now I'm off to the Chevy Forum to see if anyone there dislikes Ford :wink:
The Dude abides.

Larry don't be hard on Roman,we've both been here a long time and I do value his opinion.He know's I understand.He's a good guy and I respect him.We just both have different points of view sometime's just some stronger then most. :thumb
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I'm still gonna admit that I do like Taylors, but I'm no longer the self professed Taylor Girl that I used to be.

I really like the brightness of the sound, but so far, I prefer brighter sounding guitars generally. Having said that, the cost for the bling is a little bit much in my opinion and I'm not sure I will ever go there. There is only one Taylor that would fit me and that is the Grand Concert and they start at around $2,000. However, if he ever does a limited edition GC I might be interested. There is also the R. Taylor line which is a whole different animal, which do interest me.

So, although I'm not much of a Taylor Girl anymore, they do still interest me.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

QuoteLarry don't be hard on Roman,

ok,...understood...
I would defend you if need be....I asked you for the response (that you probably knew would be controversial)

no offense intended Roman ..have some on me   :donut :donut2 :coffee
I'll go back to being my usual 'born to be MILD' self  :bgrin:

- Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

Quote from: mrkpower on May 15, 2009, 01:09:25 AM
Hi Ricky, I'm from Calgary too. I played Taylor on 16th Ave. Guitar Works. Now the shop is also selling Core Clark though.

I live in Edmonton (you'll forgive me for that, huh?) but I've been going to Calgary on most Mondays now that the snow is gone.

Would be good to connect some time. What do you think?

This thread has certainly generated some lively discussion. Good thing.

ricky

As I mentioned, I like & tend to agree with rob about the comparison of the in-your-face sound that Strats have (3 pups). More power, where a Tele has 2. Strats are more power guitars made for lead playing, but also versatile enough for rhythm. It's a good one for the comparison of Taylor vs. Larrivee. Taylor, tend to be more bright & in your face. Larrivee, more balanced , but can still put out the highs when needed, not all the time like Taylors.
   Roman, we're all allowed our own opinions, or it wouldn't be a Forum. You have yours, which I respect, but don't have to agree with. I've only been playing 33+ yrs. & doing my own things to my guitars for a little less than you. It gives you a good idea of what needs to be done when & how they basically work. Everyone should do these things to their guitars, if it be only adjusting the trussrod. I understand that you & rob have a good relationship, just like I tried to explain to him about Jeremy & myself. He's given me some good info & pointers & I really enjoyed his thread of his guitar build. Initially, when people see a post like yours, or how I do the same type sometimes, they get the wrong impression, not knowing the nature of your relationship. It happens all the time, so i understand where you're coming from. Some don't. I just like the comparison of Strats vs. Teles. That's why I love Teles. Some don't. Just, like Taylors, personal preference & experiences.
   Larry, thanks for the explanation. Yes, they are 3 pieces now, which I don't know why they went that way. Good explanation about them. Thanks.
   And Lynda, I would never imagine that you, of all people, would be a Taylor fan! I'm so shocked, I'm speechless! I don't think your Larrivee's will talk to you for a while, if they are @ all! Shame on you!
     Jeff   :guitar

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Roman, i was just looking over your giant list of guitars & noticed that you don't own either a Strat or a Tele. What gives? How do you make a statement like that when you own neither? Not being argumentative, just observant>
   And  Lynda, I sense a slight stutter in your Taylor coments. Is that just me? :whistling:
     Jeff 

Quotesometimes, they get the wrong impression, not knowing the nature of your relationship. It happens all the time, so i understand where you're coming from

I see now, (said the blind man).....
it was one of those ' that's ridiculous'  statements that was really saying,

"that's ridiculous and I mean it in the nicest kind of way'

man I have trouble with those, hate it when I misinterpret.  :angry:

I read all Robs posts and respect his wisdom and experience.
I'd defend him if I thought he was being attacked - especially if he was responding to my request for information and / or opinion.

- Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

I am a huge fan of the woods that Taylor uses - I've seen some R. Taylors in cocobolo, koa, lacewood, brazillian rw, macassar ebony, curly maple, redwood, and numerous other species that were just stunningly beautiful! Definitely "face to the wall" boxes!

But I've never really liked the necks, and I've yet to play one that sounded good enough to warrant my wanting to buy it ( at the prices they ask for them ). They've sounded good, but just not as good as my Larrivees. I never play plugged in, so that may make a little difference too -

Now, I have not played a Taylor 12 string. As much as I love my Larrivee hog top 12, I may have to keep my eyes open for opportunities to play a few Taylor 12s - but that bar is set pretty high -

Tad

PS - Is it just me, or do others hate the process of trying to get the floor model 12 strings into tune just to give them a listen?
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

For my money, Larrivees and Martins have better balance. I do like the looks of Taylors, not the tone that much. There was a 12 str. Taylor at GC that was the best sounding acoustic 12 string I have ever played. Everyone has different tastes. I have never played a Taylor in any store that had the sharp fret ends of my 0M30R. JP
Do3R, PavanTP20, 64 Melody Maker, 4or5 Teles, Godin SA, Carter SD10, Regal Reso,OM03RE,MIM Strat, Tak SC132

QuotePS - Is it just me, or do others hate the process of trying to get the floor model 12 strings into tune just to give them a listen?

I do too.

I purchased an extra clip on headstock tuner that I keep in the car...I'm getting lazy in my old age. :smile:
Ruben

Quote from: BluesMan1 on May 15, 2009, 02:22:03 PM

And Lynda, I would never imagine that you, of all people, would be a Taylor fan! I'm so shocked, I'm speechless! I don't think your Larrivee's will talk to you for a while, if they are @ all! Shame on you!
     Jeff   :guitar

Jeff, you can stop now!  :roll
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Roman I've always known that you like Taylors and most on the list you've had for some time.I will say this I have had the pleasure of working on the only Taylor that I've ever like and I did threaten with much physical harm the to the customer who was stupid enough to consider selling it.I don't know the modal name but it is a sunburst dread in rosewood with a rather beefy neck,I have never seen another one like it.

lw216316  I 'm glad to know you've git my back.

Jeff is right the more you know about your guitar and the more you can do yourself,to me this make's you a better client,it makes it easier to get the best out of what you want and the guitar can deliever.

See even I can find a diamond in a pile of wood :humour:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Larry, turn your angry face to a smiley one! I think we would all defend rob if need be! :thumb
     Jeff 

Quote from: tadol on May 15, 2009, 03:17:47 PM
PS - Is it just me, or do others hate the process of trying to get the floor model 12 strings into tune just to give them a listen?

I just tune 'em and leave! Heck I'm exhausted when I do it at home (where's that devil emot when you need it). I usually get back to play it in a few days.

Tele's are much cooler than Strat's so enough smack about 'em (where's that devil emot when you need it).
The Dude abides.

Before I knew about guitars and what I wanted, I thought Taylor was my next guitar, only cause it was the brightest guitar I had ever played and it made me sound better than I was.So shimmery!Pretty chords, wow, this sounds different from anything I have played before,
fast forward a couple of yrs and I hear about a guitar called a Larrivee, Hmmmm...... this guitar is loud and bright but not too bright.
very well made, very balanced.
Taylor ? whos that , I want this larrivee!

Taylors in my opinion are very overpriced for what you get.
Necks are a little wide
have come to find out I like a whole lot of other guitars besides Taylor.

Larrivee rules, Martin rules.
among others, Taylor ? not my cup of tea.
dave

I played a Taylor with a sinker wood top a couple of months ago that was out of my price range but an amazing guitar.

My son has an all wood Taylor 214 that is really easy to play and sounds great to my untrained/unschooled ear. I bought him gold tuners for Christmas a couple of years ago and one of them broke the gears off inside. He called Taylor's customer service and the guy asked him a couple of questions to confirm the right size and dropped a new replacement tuner in the mail that day. I gave him my Larrivee Parlor to tide him over until the tuner arrived and now it reminded him how bad he wants one of those. The $500 outlay for my Parlor is a far cry from the $2,000 starting point for a Taylor Grand Concert that Lyric Girl referenced in an earlier post.

I forgot to mention,Jim Holler has a Taylor 12 string posted on his used guitar page over at Trinity. I would give up my Larrivee 12 but I would like to hear that one.

My guess is that I would rather go with a Larrivee Maple 12 string though after playing one in February.

Quote from: lw216316 on May 15, 2009, 12:50:48 PM
ok,...understood...
I would defend you if need be....I asked you for the response (that you probably knew would be controversial)

no offense intended Roman ..have some on me   :donut :donut2 :coffee
I'll go back to being my usual 'born to be MILD' self  :bgrin:

- Larry

I'll go back to being my usual 'born to be MILD' self   :bgrin:

Nice one Larry :winkin: