Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who doesn't like Taylor??  (Read 7063 times)
mrkpower

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2009, 05:01:44 AM »

I played several Taylor guitars in different places. They are not my cup of tea. I perfer the deep, full, round and muture sounds like Martin, Yamaha, and off course Larry etc. I played unplugged Taylors. Maybe Taylor sounds great when plugging in. I do appreciate their looks which are beautiful.
Just personal opinion, no intention to offend any Taylor fans here.

Why do you like and dislike Taylor?  welcome
Safricanplayer

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 05:40:45 AM »

I feel that Taylors attention to detail and consistency in their builds, pushed the other larger manufacturers to up the ante, and the we are all the beneficiaries of much better guitars today thanks to Bob Taylor. They have truly mastered the art of mass produced guitars. That said, I'm personally not a fan of the 'Taylor Sound. I find them too bright and lacking the warm that I prefer from a guitar.

I did own a Fall Limited Edition Taylor for a brief period, with Walnut B&S and a Sitka top. The Walnut actually warmed up the tone considerably and in retrospect, I wish I could have kept that guitar. Then again, I just love guitars, period, so in a perfect world I'd still own my Webber, Collings, Breedlove & Taylor

~ Ray ~

Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Eichelbaum OM ~ Euro Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Larrivee Forum III ~ All Hog
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 06:02:30 AM »

I like Taylors.

Taylor glossies are eye-candy. Their matte/satin finish 100-400 series are good gits too.  I still like their expression system.

They do tend to be on the bright side - sound-wise. My Koa is bright compared to the warm sound of my FG III LSV-03R.

That said...

Knowing what I know now and having experienced other acoustic guitars, my default choice for the finest acoustic guitars and best bang for the buck will have to go to what BenF fondly refers to as the "lowly 03 series" Larrivee.

I was at GuitarWorks in Calgary because I wanted to hear and see the Spring Ltd Taylors - Tasmanian Blackwood
400 series will all gloss b&s (must be their ploy to entice GASers like me during this tough economic times - made me look). Great looking guitars complete with ES; sounds pretty decent too. However, if I had the money that day, I would have likely walked out with an OM-03 hog or sapele / spruce with the Baggs pickup.

I wonder if you have tried playing other tonewoods in the Taylor line - or do they just all tend to be "bright" sounding?

Could it be that the Elixirs they use lend to the brightness?

ricky
mrkpower

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 06:09:25 AM »

Hi Ricky, I'm from Calgary too. I played Taylor on 16th Ave. Guitar Works. Now the shop is also selling Core Clark though.

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 06:31:33 AM »

Can't say I don't - I have to agree with Ray, in that Taylor is with no doubt the yardstick for mass-produced guitars, and that Bob's methods and standards lead the way naturally in the industry. His approach in general and specifically towards responsible harvesting of timber and conservation is commendable. He is as far as I'm concerned the leader in bolted necks-technology, and in the development and successful application of the UV-cured polyester finishing on guitars. It is also known that he has the best grade woods (like JCL), and that he uses them on his guitars.
I have played a couple of nice Taylors, and would personally love to own a 514 with ES. I've yet to experience a Cedar topped Hog guitar that has the same warmth, responsiveness and ability to cut through any mix like that guitar. The Doyle Dykes signature model is also worth mentioning as pretty much the complete (gigging) finger style guitar for me.  +1

I have yet to try the custom R Taylor models, which I believe are stunning guitars.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 06:49:12 AM »

The one thing about Taylors that I personally don't like, but some find to their liking, is the bright sound of most. This has been their one selling point for their under $5000 guitars for years. You either like the brightness, or you don't. I find that a nice balanced Larrivee, which is what they're known for, can also produce some bright sounds @ the same time also, depending where you play on the guitar. Larrivees are known for their balanced sound coming from the special bracing that Jean developed & is now his "signature sound" on most of his series. I have had 2 GS8's, both beautiful guitars & more balanced than most of the other series. As I've said before, since I have an L-10 & find the GS series to be a ripoff of the L body & probably developed just for that reason, I didn't feel the need to keep them. Had 2 because I just had that "stigma" in my head about the L body & was trying to like them too much (the GS's). And just because you get alot of bang for your buck, esp. in the -03 series, doesn't make Larrivees any more inferior to Taylors costing the same. You just get a better sounding & playing guitar in that price range. Doesn't bother me! bigrin
   Taylors attention to detail & build quality can sometimes surpass Larrivees, but I just have found Larrivees to be the most balanced, best sounding, & most consitant guitars out there. I have owned many acoustics, some that are now in the $5000+ range, but still find Larrivees a better buy. My Baden is made by a former CEO of Taylor, leaving & taking his 13+ yrs. of knowledge & starting his own company. I find them more balanced & better sounding than Taylors, except for those "special" ones you can find. The Badens are a true work of art & simplicity & will soon increase in value as they become more well known. Keep an eye on those. Mr. Baden is no fool & took all of his knowledge (from Taylor) & produces low-bling, if any, guitars that sound great. Sure, some of the fancy Taylors are nice eye-candy, but I'd rather play a great guitar alot than have a great one that looks nice but doesn't sound as good as it looks. Know what I'm trying to say?
   Bottom line is you have fans of Taylors, fans of Gibsons, Larrivees, SCGC, etc., so it's just personal preference & how happy you are with your playing experience. I love Larrivees, have from my first one (got the old "never heard of these" back in '93 & beyond) & will always love mine. Also love my Baden A style, just a different guitar that helps break up my playing of all of my Larrivees. Plus, it fits certain things I play well. Go to California & ask this question. You'll find a higher positive response % than normal. Why, because they've had a following for years there & always will. That's where they're made. Same with Larrivees in Canada, where almost everyone has heard of them. Alot in the U.S. haven't & those that have, never played one. If they did, they would probably be a member of the forum?
     Jeff   

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 12:34:51 PM »

A couple of years ago I began shopping for my first steel string guitar in about 20 years.
I had tried steel but eventually ended up playing nylon. That was the only guitar I had all that time.

I did a lot of research on the internet, read a lot of reviews and comments, on many of the famous brands.
For price range and value I ended up deciding on a Tayor or a Larrivee.
After playing them and comparing, I bought a Larrivee L-03R.

The only Taylor that I liked almost as much as the Larrivee cost more than twice what the L-03R was.
...it was a no- brainer.

I don't like the less expensive Taylors at all. They are very treble focused.
If you amped one and played in a group they might work well - you could leave the bass notes to the bass player.
...and you could play some lead melody on your Taylor.

But I play solo and all finger style - so balance is very important to me, and I don't care for guitars that are 'too' bright.
I now own a Larrivee SD-50 - that has a wide 1 7/8 neck. It comes that way standard.
I could only get a 1 7/8 neck from Taylor if I special ordered it and it cost more.

I still would not mind having the one Taylor I liked. I forget the exact model - it was a  GC07 OR 8 maybe
it had a slot head. I think it was a 1 3/4 neck and maybe 14 frets.

I've grown partial to the 12 fret slot heads and prefer a neck wider than 1 3/4
(because of all those years of only having a wide neck classical).
I was not able to adjust to the 'small' 1 3/4 neck on the L-03R I bought - that why I sold it and got the SD-50.

Like others said, I respect the company.

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 01:34:55 PM »

There really isn't much for me to get excited about with the average Taylor. Gems exist though, cause I've played a couple amazing ones.

L-03 Italian Spruce
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 02:08:20 PM »

I never been a fan of Taylor's mostly because of the way there built too many things that can go wrong.

I also equit Taylors tone to Stratish for me fairly midrangey.No beef.Larrivee's on the other hand remind me of Tele's more full range.

I will now hide behind that really big tree in my front yard until the rock throwing stopd.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 02:54:04 PM »

I never been a fan of Taylor's mostly because of the way there built too many things that can go wrong.

PLease share what those 'things that can go wrong' are-
no stones....I promise....
shucks, I'll even throw in a nice doughnut for your trouble

- Larry

[attachment deleted by admin]

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 03:04:22 PM »

Overall I'm not a fan. I've played two Taylors I liked and the rest left me cold. A lot of them sound real thin, I wouldn't use the term bright. But even the ones that aren't thin sounding seem to be missing something, like they sound sterile or lack mojo(to me anyway). Playing a Taylor is like kissing a dead person(just kidding...kind of). Plus I don't like the way they look.

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 03:14:32 PM »

I think there are at least 10 gits around the house. And I do visit the guitar stores every few weeks but I never have owned one, or played one that really just "grabbed me".
  I do have a nice Taylor gig bag though ;-)

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 03:22:05 PM »

Larry & rob, I agree with all said. As I said, the Taylors are treble-heavy, though I found the GS series not to be as much. Just didn't fit my needs, as I said before. I like the analogy of the Strat to the Tele. I love Teles for just that reason. All of these guitar wizards & greats play what: Strats. You want a nice, balanced, down-homesounding guitar that can still have b***s., the Tele fits that.
   As far as Gibson, made great guitars in their early days, but now, even with their Montana plant, I don't thik their acoustics are all that great. The sound, to me, is a little subdued. Had a Songwriter for a year & would force myself to play it, finally trading it in towards the Taylor GS8's, which I tried to hard to like also, my L-10 always drawing me back to that one. I also think that since the neck setup was changed for the "better", it does allow for more things to go wrong. From what I hear, the Taylors made before that are much more stable & sound better. Taylor also has that "low-profile" neck, which is a fast neck, but still find the Larrivee necks more comfortable, IMO. And Larry, since picking up my SD-50, I'm in love with the wider neck. I have big hands & have no problem with it, which was a concern of mine when I bought it from Jim. An'05 form "mannish", great condition (other than the repaired crack, which is no longer an issue), sounding just fantastic, not ever needing any other dread ever, & all for $995! Breaks down to be Jim losing some $, but I got over feeling bad real quick!
   Which is all these posts are about anywat, aren't they? Just giving our opinions & hoping to help some out or being able to learn from others. That's what keeps me coming back. I learn alot about guitars, noyt knowing as much as I think & would like to. Am always open to learning something new! bigrin
     Jeff   

rrgguitarman

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 03:27:35 PM »

I've been playing since I was 10 (ouch) and through the years I've had the pleasure of playing and owning some very nice guitars and up until a couple of years ago I couldn't stand the Taylor sound at all. Well, I don't know what changed but I kind like the Taylor sound for certain music. I currently own a GS4e-LTD and a GA3-12 and really enjoy their sound.
Did my mind adjust to the brightness? I still prefer my L-03WL the best though.
BTW, I never cared for the Martin sound before and one day I was at my local GC and picked up a D-16GT and fell in love with it...Well, I now own a Martin as well.
I've owned some Larrivees that I didn't really didn't care for the way they sounded so, I sold them. I do regret selling my OM-03MT crying
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 04:05:26 PM »

OK you asked.
The fret tangs are smooth instead of rippled..the frets don't stay put very well.This may or maynot have changed.
The neck is installed with a nut and bolt,so as time goes by the bolts will seperate from there mooring in the neck wood.
There really is no reason for the 3 peice necks on such a high end guitar as they do look cheap,really not a design flaw as much as a why problem for me.
fretting the finger board,glueing it in place then having a machine cut everything to size at once the same time just doesn't sound smart the cutting blade must go thru wood and metal at the same time.
PO here but I feel that they are designed to be plugged in more over then p[layed as an acoustic instrument.
Again PO but the thinness of the neck is just  wrong.
The fingerboard at the end over the body isn't glued down..as apposed to the another company that use's allen screws to hold the fingerboard to the top.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 04:25:56 PM »

OK you asked.

and glad I did Sir, thank you very much, now I feel better educated. 
I know the bolt on necks have become commonly used but I'm not sure I would want one. 

have another doughnut on me, there's still plenty left on the plate  bigrin

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 04:35:57 PM »

Most companies use a screw to attach the neck,Martin uses wood screws.Some use dowels.I could be wrong but I believe taylor is the only company that use the nut and bolt system,they say they use them to make it easier to do neck resets,this just say's to me that the guitar was designed to break down.But what do I know........

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »

As far as the Martin D-16 GTR, I also had one, but just could not stand the feel of the "micarda" fingerboard. My fingers would stick to it & found it hard to play. Sounded great, though. Had a bone nut & saddle put on, plus necks dots on the opposite side, since I play backwards (totally). Also just did like the idea of "fake" woods being used, the bridge also made of that crap. Taylor has been doing it also for a few years now. Can't afford ebony, just put RW on. Doesn't cost much more. I'm sure the process of making the composite material is not that cheap, either.
   Rob, are you referring to the new Taylor necks?
     Jeff   

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 05:12:10 PM »

Jeff I think so aren't they made of 3 pieces.The headstock is cut in what I think is called a luthier joint{like a classical guitar} and the heek is added to the neck blank.

Roman sorry I hope I haven't offended you or anyone else its just the way I see it.Ridiculous as it sounds.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 05:25:41 PM »

UNCLROB,  This is the first time I've read one of you responses that is most ridiculous ...   

dang, you guys are fast, while I was typing a response to tell Rob, not to worry I jumped in front to take the stone hit
(cause I'm the one who pressed him for his opinions)  responses were already made...

thanks again for your response Rob, it contained both facts and opinions -
I'm a big boy, I know how to discern between fact and opinion - and to respect opinions different than mine.

Roman, 'ridiculous' is a very strong statement - it warrents having some facts to show it as such - or at least a reference to a consensus on the subject by some knowledgeable group.
Unless you have that a simple - I have a different opinion and some reasons why would be a more appropriate response
- in my opinion.

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: