Strummer-which Larrivee?

Started by Matt McGriff, November 11, 2003, 08:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm a strummer, and I play a lot of praise and worship music.  I am going to purchase a Larrivee as my next guitar and am wondering what body style and wood type is recommended for rhythm strumming/flatpicking.  My price range is the 03 series.  I like the L-03RE, LV03RE, and D03RE.  I will have to order it online, so I need some help.  I know the rosewood dread is the standard strumming guitar, but how does the L body style compare?  Is it like a 000 Martin or X14 Taylor?  Thanks  

Matt,welcome to the club.As for strummer's,I've not played a body style yet that was a bad one for strumming.I play the L body and do all style's on it.the 03rosewood's are wonderful guitars.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thanks unclrob.  I have a Martin mahogany dread and would like a "complimentary" guitar to that one, as not to duplicate resources.  I really like the LV03RE, but think the cutaway may just be a want and not a need.  It's at the top end of my price range ($1200 US) so its a push.  I am also interested in an Ultrasound amp, so if I go with the L03RE the amp is doable.  See my dilemma?  Isn't GAS painful?  

Matt, I bought my larrivee from www.Musiciansbuy.com, and got great service and a really good price. For me they knocked some bucks off of their advertised price, and free shipping, with HSC. I just asked what their lowest price they'd go is, and I was shocked! And the guitar is beautiful, I've had it for 2 months.
You can get an L-03R there, no cutaway and no electronics for much less than your budget. Then get a K&K pure western or an I-Beam installed- Golden! In under budget with $$$ towards your new Ultrasound!  

I got my L-09 brand new, for less than your budget. 03 series are all over the place for a lot cheaper than $1200. I play the exact same music that you do and I do the same things (strumming/flatpicking mostly).... think Shane Barnard.

In my opinion, I'd get a Rosewood L body. Pass on the electronics and get an L.R. Baggs Element system installed.
2003 Breedlove SC20 Coco/Sitka (Nov 26 delivery)
Bone nut and saddle
Schaller nickel tuners
Ebony tuner buttons
L.R. Baggs Dual Element

2003 Larrivée OM-03R: SOLD

2003 Larrivée L-09: SOLD

I'd stay away from the Rosewood dreadnaughts because they have a tendancy to be really boomy. Collings makes a really nice rosewood dreadnaught but they run $3000+.  Chris Tomlin plays on one and it sounds awesome. Not boomy at all. (I don't know how Collings does it, but they make awesome dreads)

Larrivée makes the best mahogany dreadnaught that I've played and heard. But that's mahogany and not rosewood.

Just another 2 cents I forgot to add above.  :)
Bone nut and saddle
Schaller nickel tuners
Ebony tuner buttons
L.R. Baggs Dual Element

I just got home from seeing Chris Tomlin play that Collings :D !  The Passion Experience was a totally awesome worship experience.  We had to leave after only a couple of the D. Crowder songs to get our daughter but they were awesome.
I think I like the LV03RE (from what I have seen).  I am going to have to drive a couple of hours to play some Larrivees.  The closest shop only has Mahog 03 guitars.  Maybe worth the trip.
I like the BBand stuff, so I might just get it.  I had the Element in a Seagull, and it was okay.  There isn't really anyone here in town I would trust to install electronics so the BBand might be the ticket.  

Just a reality check here:

Is the cutaway necessary or is it just b/c it looks cool? I think most P&W music is in E or G and doesn't require going up into the 14th fret. I only ask because I think the cutaway changes the sound of the guitar. In most cases, not for the better.  
Bone nut and saddle
Schaller nickel tuners
Ebony tuner buttons
L.R. Baggs Dual Element

L Body is about as versatile guitar that is made...  I stupidly traded mine in on a Martin CEO-5.  That is a nice guitar, mind you, but the L-05 really had something special...

You might want to think about a 12 string, especially for praise music.  I play in church, and my J-09-12M sounds awesome.  I recently had it strung to 6 strings by my luthier (complete with pre-ban ivory saddle and nut) and I'm picking it up tomorrow!  I can't wait to hear it.  I had it strung with the tusq nut and saddle...  It was loud enough, but the maple highs were a little harsh to my ears, so losing the tusq I'm guessing will be a big help.

Bob

l31itz,
I have been considering the cutaway issue.  I really have no business above the 12th fret, but like the looks.  Do I like it for $150 more?  I don't know.  I really want an Ultrasound amp and peace in my house.  So I think the L03RE might be the ticket.  Or maybe an L05 or 09 and an aftermarket pickup.  

Let us know what you choose and don't forget to review it!   :rolleyes:  
Bone nut and saddle
Schaller nickel tuners
Ebony tuner buttons
L.R. Baggs Dual Element