Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you happy and confident with your own voice?  (Read 3652 times)
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2009, 10:59:59 PM »

I've always love singing, mainly backups, even with my crappy voice, but never confident enough to sing into a mic. or solo in front of onlookers, let alone hear my own voice, untill last night. Though, it still sounded crappy, I totally enjoyed it. Infact, I enjoyed it so much, I'm giving it another go today. It's given me so much confident in my voice and singing ability. I know this subject has been posted before, but give us your view anyway......
cheers
fongie
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 11:05:35 PM »

I have gained confidence this last year or so. I have never had any training but many times I'm the one carrying a song or starting it. In small "git togethers" it's usually me that winds up singing.
         Though I enjoy others more than hearing my own voice.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 11:09:50 PM »

Good for you! People tell me I sing good now and I laugh. It's ok now but when I started it sucked. But I loved singing and I liked playing songs. Like the whole song with words and everything.  When I was a teen few else would ever sing so I always did.. I stuck with it, learned a little bit and it developed over time.  Singing into a mic is it's own deal too, so the fact that you're not shy about it is great. That's the way to do it. JUST DO IT!

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 11:24:57 PM »

Same, no training what so ever. People sometimes say....."Hey you should sing", but I think they were only nice and one of those people is my faithful follower..."My girlfriend"  bigrin
cheers
fongie
RoundLakeDT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 11:58:45 PM »

My personal experience pretty much mirrors the above... I focused on playing guitar rather than singing, and only in the past 2 years have I made an effort to "find my voice", with occasional success.  Really seems to be dependent on choosing the right song, not just the key... some things "fit" really well, others I just can't get in any key

But here's where I think we are a little culturally biased against ourselves (to keep ourselves from singing).  15 years ago I was a Peace Corps volunteer in the Solomon Islands, a little archipelago in the south pacific (I was a teacher).  EVERYBODY there sang... while walking to school, working in a garden, or sitting around with friends.  In that culture, it was just assumed that everyone could sing... even hinting otherwise would be (to them) like a toddler complaining that she couldn't walk very well... everyone would push you to keep going since they knew you'd get it eventually.

And most people were pretty decent singers as a result.  It did make me think... what if all the people over here who feel that we can't sing had actually been singing in public since childhood (really loud, really often)... we'd at least know how to control our "vocal instrument".  Took most of us a few years to control the guitar, too

Another $0.02

Dave

flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 02:13:10 AM »

That's right, Like anything else you can develope it. I mean some like myself will never be great singers but if you can stay on pitch, learn how to phrase things, when to hold notes, when to cut them short. Those are all learnable things. If you're on pitch and sing like you mean it, most people will like it. I also like how you added "loud" in your post. Singing loud, not screaming, helps in a couple ways.

obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 03:46:43 AM »

Ive always kinda cringed a little when Ive heard my own voice back from a recording or video tape, but recently Ive spent more time honing my singing rather than my guitar chops. Also dont be afraid to change the key if it doesnt suit your voice. I do this a lot, and it really helps you get into your comfortable range.

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Gibson CS ES-339 incoming....

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 04:28:53 AM »

Ive always kinda cringed a little when Ive heard my own voice back from a recording or video tape, but recently Ive spent more time honing my singing rather than my guitar chops. Also dont be afraid to change the key if it doesnt suit your voice. I do this a lot, and it really helps you get into your comfortable range.

Cheers, Scott.

Yes, so true, I do enjoy it alot more when I sing in the keys that suit me most. Tried singing a BeeGee's song awhile ago, and nearly pooped my pants trying to hit them high notes, so now I stay clear.
cheers
fongie
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 05:42:40 AM »

About changing keys to suit your voice.

You might want to consider getting some opinions from others about keys that work for you. I used to sing in lower registers because that was comfortable. I felt that in higher registers I had less control so I avoided them.

Recently I sent some recordings to a couple of trusted friends. These recordings were of me doing some of my favourite songs in different keys. Then I checked in with some of my musical partners. The results were unanimous - sing in the higher registers - apparently I am far more expressive there, and I project better over the Guitar too. My singing voice is much lower than my speaking voice (frequency not volume) and people who know me preferred to hear that more familiar voice. Most people who know me, don't recognize me on my old recordings. It seems they prefer the sound that more closely resembles the voice they already know.

So the point is NOT that you should sing in higher registers, but rather, that you might consider getting some other people involved to help you figure out what keys work best - not only for you as a singer but for the songs and the audience.

BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 01:15:27 PM »

No, simple answer.  I find singing incredibly difficult, but do notice it improves with practice.  I think many people assume that singing is either something you can do or can't.  Whilst some people clearly find it easy, others need to work harder at it.

I have found that as my ear has imporved through learning the guitar, my singing has improved slightly as a result.

I would love to sing well.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 01:18:54 PM »

I only write instrumentals but that's because my lack of confidence is in writing lyrics.  I love to sing and I think I've got a pretty decent voice.  I'll let you be the judge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9bELRAixXU

This is the only video I have of me singing.  I should really make more.

BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 01:25:30 PM »

I only write instrumentals but that's because my lack of confidence is in writing lyrics.  I love to sing and I think I've got a pretty decent voice.  I'll let you be the judge.

Yeah, good singing Denis! - you need to do more videos with vocals!!

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
leo

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 01:31:25 PM »

I do not have a very good voice but I have passion and get my point across. I am not as concerned with it as I used to be - I just give it what I got and hope the listener feels what I feel.
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 04:21:31 PM »

Denis, watching ya pick that makes me realize its time to learn that one! Great pickin' and vocals, but most important really solid groove! Dang it, time to wood shed. Wait a minute,  that ain't such a  bad thing!   
stubby

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 09:46:27 PM »

I've got the worst voice I've ever heard and I'll stand up on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots to say that (apologies to Steve Earle on that one). My gift to music is that I don't sing publicly.
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 10:45:22 PM »

Thankyou Dennis, you have given me alot more inspiration and confidence, you were awesome mate and that guitarin' was great, nice choice of music, what are the chords your using there?
cheers mate
fongie 
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 11:59:20 PM »

I never knew how mentally and physically draining, singing can get, does anybody get that way? I can't understand how singers can perform a few sets without being drained. I sing 5 songs, and I'm totally wrecked and if I'm not mentally equipt in mind, and feel before I start singin', I just can't sing nor focus. Is there some way this can be rectified? Is there some exercise singers use to sustain their mental strength?
cheers
fongie
RoundLakeDT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 02:48:27 AM »

I never knew how mentally and physically draining, singing can get, does anybody get that way? =

Yup.  A lot of stuff I sing, country blues like Nine Pound Hammer, I can sing all day and feel great.  But a while back I began learning a Keb Mo tune, "I'll be your water"... a slow, emotive kind of piece... and I get a serious headache everytime I finish the song!

Has seriously taken me two years on and off to figure out how I can sing it.  Can't do it like Keb, had to find "my way" (nod to Sinatra, I guess).  But there must be something about such songs that require real feeling, that takes a lot of effort to sing.

Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong?  Next lifetime maybe I'll find out... rolleye

flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 02:52:04 AM »

Yea, I'd like to know this guys secret. I've seen him on the tube a bunch since I was young. Under the hot lights, outdoors in the summer, always in a suit and tie. And it always struck me that the dude doesn't sweat! And he looks as relaxed as can be while adding
plentry of soul. I always thought of him as Mr. Cool.  I'd be sweating like a pig in a suit and tie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HPZE62-h1s&feature=related

Man can he sing. Got that Joe Williams influence.

fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 07:30:41 AM »

Yea, I'd like to know this guys secret. I've seen him on the tube a bunch since I was young. Under the hot lights, outdoors in the summer, always in a suit and tie. And it always struck me that the dude doesn't sweat! And he looks as relaxed as can be while adding
plentry of soul. I always thought of him as Mr. Cool.  I'd be sweating like a pig in a suit and tie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HPZE62-h1s&feature=related

Man can he sing. Got that Joe Williams influence.

Wo! Doesn't he make it sound so easy? I suppose it's like comparin' a Dread, to a parlour, no effort at all, and the sound just rings out. I'm the parlour 
cheers
fongie
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: