need help with guitar video

Started by lw216316, May 10, 2009, 02:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hate is a strong word that I rarely use - BUT-
It describes how I'm beginning to feel about the effort to produce a guitar video

I'm getting really frustrated with it to the point of giving up on it.

If you've not read my other post-
I'm trying to produce my first video to show my progress on learning to play Travis style (as some have asked).

After some advice from a member I was able to make a video with my digital camera using the video option by
pointing the camera right at the sound hole and using a flexible desk lamp to get enough light for it to show up.

I want to edit the video before uploading to youtube.
So I tried using microsoft's movie maker to load it but it would not load.
I spent a bunch of time on the internet and learned that my camera makes a video with a dot MOV file extension - the format.

..and movie maker will not accept it in that format.
AFter a bunch more time on the net I found a free conversion program (AVS VIDEO CONVERTER) and downloaded it
- it took 2 hours on my slow dial-up - a huge 50 meg program - the first effort failed and I had to start over.

I used the converter to go from .MOV to AVI.
movie maker started on it and said it needed to download a CODEC - so after study to learn what that was, I changed
an option in movie maker to automatically download CODEC as needed and ran it again.
...but keep getting the same error message.
So I gave up on AVI and went back to the converter and tried MPEG. It took 20 minutes to convert !

Movie maker accepted my converted MPEG file but only plays the audio and does not show the video !

The converted had one option left that movie maker lists as an option - the WMV type.
So I've got the converter running now to convert from MOV to WMV  It takes 55 minutes !

If that does not work then I'm  ready to officially delare I hate the progress and give up on it  :mad:

The other thing I will try is to load an unedited video to youtube.
It won't be pretty but maybe it will work.
My 50 second video is 30 meg - loading that to youtube from my home dial up is problematic
if a robin lands on the wire outside it can cause me to lose my connection and have to start over.

So I may get to work early and try to upload it there on the faster  T1 line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I can't afford good equipment right now so I've got to make what I have work if possible.

- thanks
Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

UPDATE- after taking 55 minutes with the converter to produce a WMV file for me from my .MOV file

I opened that with movie maker.
Both the audio and video showed up -

so there was HOPE....but it was false hope...
The audio is so bad its not usable - its all choppy and out of time
and the video is choppy too.

I'll try to upload an unedited video - mistakes and all - later on.

- Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

Mate, I sympathize with you.

Your post reminds me why I wouldnt even begin to attempt to do this. Ive got my digital 8 track nailed, but as far as anything to do with a PC I just dont bother. I sometimes have trouble getting it to print a simple page.
Its actually amazing that I can even post a reply on the forum...... :wacko:

Good luck mate.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

thanks Scott,
I did manage to get an unedited version posted to youtube- mistakes and all
see my new post -

- Larry