Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets talk Rosettes  (Read 1146 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2009, 06:15:03 AM »

Hi Guys
This thread is the result of interest shared by Jeff on the photo of a guitar I published, and specifically about the unique and different rosette. Since JCL has (initially) never been shy of producing his own signature on his guitar designs, he had to "conform" like in any other line of business in a way, by producing "minimum industry requirements" to a large degree like Abalone and pearl rosettes and fretboard markers, the use of traditional materials and finishes like Ivoroid, herring bone purflings etc.
 His brand and product lines seem to be well defined and established now, affording him the "luxury" of re-introducing the kind of designs he loves, and that the industry didn't, like "classical" rosettes on steel strings with reference to the C-lines.
I also saw on Jim Holler's web-site that he is in a collaboration with Galagher guitars for a "Trinity"-line, and one of Jim's touches would be his own designed rosettes which I'm very interested to see.
What are your likes and dislikes in rosettes?

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 07:02:28 AM »

You know, as I play alot more of my L-01, I'm not only liking the sound of this git but also the looks. This git got no rosette at all, just the plain all hog, but she looks really good. I think I prefer gits without the blings and rosettes.
cheers
fongie
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 09:43:53 AM »

Jeff, here are some of Marc's unique to Southern Africa desigtns. They are inspired by the local " 'Ndebele" Tribe, who are renowned for their designs of jewelry, clothes and home decoration. The last pic is a design by Mervyn Davis, who made my Smooth Talker.

[attachment deleted by admin]

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 10:30:29 AM »

Tim McKnight likes to use spalted maple rosettes. I think it looks great. I believe this one has sycamore binding.

Stephen Basil

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 01:18:58 PM »

Somogyi does some nice carving too.  The above rosettes are very elegant appointments, I think.

OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78
magictwanger

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 08:55:31 PM »

Hey Zohn,great subject matter!Why am I not surprised,coming from the likes of you?

OK,#1-my daughter got a good look at the "first" rosette picture.Now she wants a bracelet similar to it. ohmy

Personally I like not too much bling,with the emphasis on superlative(sounding and looking) woods and bindings.Yet,an artists touch in a rosette is fabulous,IMO!

Best to all
pennerblue

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 04:00:17 AM »

I like plain old white and black rings (03 models) or herringbone.

What NOT to do with a rosette?
http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/

These are fantastic sounding guitars for $300-$400, but the rosette is a "squishy/puffy" stick-on...hideous!  I had the dealer tear mine off before I left the shop.

Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

“Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it’s more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique.”
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 05:42:14 AM »

Tim McKnight likes to use spalted maple rosettes. I think it looks great. I believe this one has sycamore binding.

Those spalted rosettes are beautiful. I personally like the very basic appointments like Fongie described. I do however love some of the traditional rosettes as used on Classicals. Take a look at this design of Hans Vd Berg. He's the guy who is building my custom OM. The 2nd pic of the Kinnaird is basically what Hans will use on the OM - the wood will be figured Kiaat.

jojo

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 02:44:30 AM »

Honestly, while I can appreciate the craftsmanship that went into those rosettes that you featured here, I find them all to be hideously garish. They distract the eye from the rest of the guitar and create a visual imbalance. My tastes run more to the simple, but elegant. Although I do rather like the idea of a classical guitar rosette on a steel string, if only they made it much narrower.

Jesse Brace 00
'30s Slingerland Style #5
Breedlove C20 S/MYE
Loprinzi LR-15
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: