Prep for Vancouver House Concert - tips for performers?

Started by ST, May 05, 2009, 02:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

You may know that we are having a Vancouver Larrivée Get-Together / House Concert with people in the local community performing for one another and guests.

During the preparations John raised this excellent question.

QuoteOriginally posted by Johnny37:
Never really having played to an audience I don't know, do you have any advice or anything that I could work on, other than the material I'm going to play, that can make things better for not only myself, but also the audience? 

I found these two recent threads:

Stage Fright

Help for playing in public

Anybody have tips for people who will be hitting the stage that night?

I'm an open mic player, not a professional but here's what seems to be working for me.  If it's your first time in public, some thinking and preparation helps

Choose the right material:
  - Just shoot for 2-3 tunes or 15 minutes.
  - Limit your set to material you can perform "in your sleep", that you've known for a long time.  Even if you think it's a little beneath you, the pressure on stage will make it seem foreign to you
  - Start off with something slower / easier.  Helps you get warmed up, and also sets up an "arc" for your set (variety)
  - Play what you do best.  If it's instrumentals, great, ballads, great.  (But don't do 3 ballads with 30 verses each...)

Preparing:
  - Record yourself playing those tunes (however you can; most laptops have microphones nowadays, but an old tape recorder will do)
   The little red light can be surprisingly intimidating if you haven't done this before, but it's a little like stage pressure
  - LISTEN to the recording.  That's even more important.  Is your tempo even?  What else do you notice?
  - Play for somebody else (your sister, significant other, kids, friends) - and ask their impressions, if there's anything they'd suggest (changing).  Not simply "did you like it", but you're looking for real feedback on what worked/didn't.  You don't need to take everyone's advice anyway.  My wife has a great knack at picking songs for me (to play or avoid)
  - If you're not familiar with a microphone, try to get hold of one and play / sing into it.  Your perspective really changes when you have that thing in your face, such as how you need to position yourself in front of it in order to sing into it

On the stage:
  - Be in tune and set up when you go up there; try to avoid having to mess around a lot on stage
  - If you're not comfortable doing a lot of talking, just tell us what the song is and start right in.
  - When you're playing, do whatever you have to in order to be comfortable.  No law says you gotta make eye contact all the time (and if you normally watch your fingers on certain passages, by all means do that when you perform!)

But overall - HAVE FUN!  Playing music is something we feel in our guts, right?  The audience is on your side and they want to have a good time.  Let us know how it goes,

Dave

Thanks Dave,

These are great suggestions.

Quote from: RoundLakeDT on May 05, 2009, 09:25:33 AM
I'm an open mic player, not a professional but here's what seems to be working for me.  If it's your first time in public, some thinking and preparation helps
[...]

Be in tune and set up when you go up there; try to avoid having to mess around a lot on stage

Thanks for the reminder about tuning and warm up. I will set up a green room area, out of ear-shot of the performance space where people can prepare.

But overall - HAVE FUN!  Playing music is something we feel in our guts, right?  The audience is on your side and they want to have a good time.  Let us know how it goes,
Dave

This is going to be a very warm and supportive audience. They will all be there to see and hear the performers do well.

PS - I'm now a fan at http://www.reverbnation.com/Dave66

For ST:
Remember to have a PLUG-IN tuner on stage as well.  The walk to the stage is very good at bringing a guitar out of tune...or at least it seems that way when you are nervous.   If possible have one of those pedal stage tuners between the guitar and the PA just for checking your tuning.

Also have a public list where people can see when they are up.  It doesn't help when you have to run up to the stage because you didn't know you were up next and you are frazzled just getting to the stage.

For Performers:
I agree with RoundLake play stuff you KNOW very well.  The nerves make you play much worse so if you arn't comfortable with that piece its really hard.

Try to ignore mistakes as much as possible. Most people dont notice and if they do they dont care.

Best prep y'all can give is to have a sound man who ACTUALLY knows what he  or she is doing. Second best tip, is for the audience: Be VERY supportive, remember you might be up there next!

Great suggestions by all.  I already had decided to do no more than about 3 or 4 songs, to give me that roughly 15 minute set.  I know what i like to play, so that makes things easier too.  I've gone through my stuff, picked out about 10 pr 12 songs that I will now narrow down to the 3 or 4 that I'll work on for the night.  I think this is going to be fun. :bgrin:
1991 Larrivee lefty C19        Forum 3 #68A LS03 IS/RW HB lefty
Form 3 #52  LS03 all mahogany lefty
Yamaha FG450                    1993 Les Paul Standard lefty
Yamaha FG335                    2012 American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Classical (1974?)      2011 RS-2 w/P-90's
Takamine 12 string

Hey there John, (and everybody)

Keep a couple  of extra songs in the bag in case there is time for an encore or a stretch set or if someone happens to play one of your songs in an earlier set and you don't want to step on it.

Quote from: ST on May 06, 2009, 12:47:37 AM
Hey there John, (and everybody)

Keep a couple  of extra songs in the bag in case there is time for an encore

An encore?!?!?  I'll be lucky if they listen to all of my set in the first place, never mind an encore!! :humour: :humour:
1991 Larrivee lefty C19        Forum 3 #68A LS03 IS/RW HB lefty
Form 3 #52  LS03 all mahogany lefty
Yamaha FG450                    1993 Les Paul Standard lefty
Yamaha FG335                    2012 American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Classical (1974?)      2011 RS-2 w/P-90's
Takamine 12 string

Relax (I know easier said than done) and like someone else said HAVE FUN - having fun is contagious when you see a performer having fun then you usually have fun also. Close your eyes and express yourself.

also NEVER - EVER apologize or be negative about your playing in front of an audience, NEVER.

music is fun not stressful - butterflies/nervous energy is normal but don't let it get in your head just

Tell them you just signed a contract with RCA records and you are happy about the deal - 6 cds for a 1.99 and only have to buy two more CDs within the next 2 years :-)