Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pete Seeger  (Read 967 times)
aarra

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2009, 04:50:44 PM »

Just wondering if anyone else on the forum was at the Pete Seeger 90th b'day at Madison Square Garden last night.  Great show for Clearwater by 40 great artists.  I won't go through them all but Dave Matthews was incredible with his version of "Rye Whiskey";  Richie Haven's :Freedom" great as always;  Kris Kristofferson even though his voice is going;  Joan Baez;  Tom Morello;  Arlo Guthrie;  Bruce Springsteen;  and of course Pete.  No matter what your political leanings, these were great performances by great artists.   bowdown    Besides, how can you be against cleaning up the polluted waters.   
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 05:02:41 PM »

no,
but saw a tv special about him when he was 80 something ...
it was a tribute type of program as I recall...
he came out at the end to play a little...
....was setting up a song and then forgot the words for a moment...then recovered

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
aarra

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 05:14:40 PM »

I've also heard that he has some difficulty remembering the lyrics, but he's entitled at 90.  I'm not near that and I have trouble remembering my own name half the time.  Anyway, last night he didn't miss a word and moved around like a 70 year old, spry as they say.
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 05:16:33 PM »

No, but some friends had tickets so I need to ask them about it.  I did catch Pete with his grandson, Tao Rodriguez Seeger, and Guy Davis at a benefit show for radio station WPKN last year.  The station's call numbers, 89.5, and his half birthday of 89 and a half, "conveniently coincided".  That was a special experience, but likely paled by comparison to yours in NY.  I try to get to the Clearwater Festival, for at least a day, every summer.  All the performers volunteer their time to benefit the revival of the Hudson River.  IMHO, Seeger is a national treasure.

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
aarra

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 05:36:34 PM »

Absolutely true, Dave.  He's a remarkable human being in every sense.
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 07:30:41 AM »

Dave Mathews loves him, so that is some compliment. Now that I saw the name here, I'm reminded of hearing something over the radio this morning about that event, and I'm definitely going to listen to some of his stuff. Thanks.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 11:08:53 PM »

A couple days late but I was out. I couldn't find Pete's version so I found an old version from Leo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ91DX8wfqg&feature=related

and here's a nice one from the late Harry Chapin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N3-obj0Xvk

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
schnitz

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 04:24:16 PM »

Though I saw Pete in various venues (large and small) decades ago in New York, I did not return from MN for the concert. But, I heard that there will be some version on public TV this summer!

You can catch some of the fun on Youtube videos for now.

Schnitz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: