Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Together Through Life' - Bob Dylan  (Read 1620 times)
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2009, 03:25:17 PM »

Anybody else pick this up yet? I've been listening to it for a few days now, I actually got it a day early in the mail. There's no denying the sound is quite a bit different than his last album Modern Times which I personally think was a masterpiece in every aspect- lyrics, performance, recording quality. This new album has a straight forward drum heavy sound. The drums are louder and play a more important role than in his last few albums. Where the drums complimented the sound on recent albums, on 'Together...' they dominate the soundscape. The writing is also much more straight forward as if written for a simpler audience.
While I think the album has a few gems on it I also think it isn't as good as his last three which I thought were great. The songs don't have the depth or importance like they did on Modern Times which had a timeless quality to it. The songs have a less personal, more of a jam band feel. The last track is 'It's All Good' that seems almost thrown together with the chorus comprised of him repeating 'It's all good'.

Talk about me babe, if you must
Throw on the dirt! Pile on the dust!
I'd do the same thing, if I could
You know what they say, They say it's all good
All good, It's all good

There are some great lyrics on the album but a lot of it seems unimaginative like the above. Perhaps I haven't listened enough to 'get it' yet but so far I'm not blown away by the album like I was on the last three. What are your thoughts?

P.S. to leave on a positive note here are my favorite lyrics from the album.

State gone broke
The county's dry
Don't be lookin at me
With that evil eye

Keep on walking
Don't be hangin around
I'm tellin you again
That hell is my wife's hometown
(...followed by laughter)

Johnny M
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 03:29:18 PM »

Who is the band you're talking about?  Together Through Life?

John

...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 03:37:43 PM »

New Bob Dylan album I believe John.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 03:52:18 PM »

Sorry, I guess I assume somewhere in the back of my mind that everyone keeps up with Dylan whether they like him or not. 

lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 04:18:23 PM »

Sorry, I guess I assume somewhere in the back of my mind that everyone keeps up with Dylan whether they like him or not.

Don't think twice , its alright   

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 04:35:52 PM »

I make no particular attempt to keep up with Dylan. Just peripherally aware of him, because if one is even remotely interested in music, there's no avoiding him (not that I try to avoid him).
As to the lyrics in "It's All Good", I think he is mocking those who use this cliche.
Just my take on it. But could be because I really dislike the use of cliches (24/7, going forward, it is what it is, at the end of the day, it's all good, in fact- it's "awesome")
most of those showed up on the most annoying phrases list by whoever publishes that thing.
jcbuggs

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 05:37:19 PM »

I just picked it up yesterday. I was somewhat disapointed on the first listen and generally agree with Jeremy. Although I have an hour commute into work so I have listened to it a couple of more times (once on the way home last night and once on the way in today) and am beginning to enjoy it more. That seems to be the way it goes with Dylan's stuff for me. It grows on me. I agree there a few gems here.

I also interpreted "It's All Good" like QueeQueg, as a put down of that particular phrase. Along with "my bad" it's right up there with things that get under my skin.

Also agree that it is somewhat simplistic. As I was lisytening in the car today I was trying to get the changes down in my mind and they all seemed pretty simple and straightforward. I'll confirm when I get a guitar in my hands tonight.

Joe

Larrivee L03-R
Larrivee OM-09 12 Fret
Larrivee D02
Martin HD-28V
Martin D12X1
Fender Blacktop
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 10:55:14 PM »

I also interpreted "It's All Good" like QueeQueg, as a put down of that particular phrase. Along with "my bad" it's right up there with things that get under my skin.

I know. The point I was making was about the simplicity of it. It was like modern Country music simple.

The album has grown on me some but it still isn't up there with his other recent works.

BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 11:59:21 PM »

Larry, I used to keep up with Bobbie when I was much younger ( & a hippie) & watched how many copied his songs, since the only thing he does well is write songs! Now I just keep up with how long his beard is & his funky clothes! Gotta love him for his song writing. A master. His voice & palying, an acquired taste I haven't acquired yet!
     Jeff   

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
BlastersFan55

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 04:22:44 AM »

Ooops...I love it.  See thread above.  Sorry about that!
aarra

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 05:34:23 PM »

IMHO, I think this album is more blues, less country than the previous.  Dylan is an icon.  I preferred his early stuff, but I was younger then and so was he.
Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 07:59:37 PM »

I'm a little underwhelmed on first listen too, but time will tell. Given the amount of music that is out there, it's sometimes impossible to devote the time necessary to fully appreciate stuff that doesn't grab one on the first listen. I would have been a bit surprised had Bob kept up the quality of the last three starting with Time Out of Mind. Has any other artist had such a compelling run that late in life? I suspect few have made three that rate with those at any time...

Cheers, Mike
rustychicken

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 04:08:57 AM »

i'm enjoying the album....it's taken a little while though.  all of his works grow on me that way, and seem to get better over time. 
even the bad 90's stuff is a whole lot better now!  i like this album, it feels like it was fun to make, not quite as heavy duty as the last three.

PCT57

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 08:27:24 PM »

as I said on the other thread I think his voice has had it.

Sorry but its simply awful. Now matter how good the lyrics may or not be IMO its unlistenable.

Was it recorded on Mexico?

jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 01:52:18 AM »

as I said on the other thread I think his voice has had it.

I think that's the best feature of the album, it's the lyrics that could use some work on this one. I think his voice is perfect for the style of music he is playing, I've always been a fan of the rough sounding bluesmen like Son House and Mance Lipscomb too though.

"State gone broke
The county's dry
Don't be lookin at me
With that evil eye"

These lyrics wouldn't have the same meaning if someone like Clay Aiken was singing them.

bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 11:40:44 AM »

For me the difficulty is hearing Dylan with fresh ears. He is such a huge figure in American music that his past accomplishments totally cloud and condition what I hear of anything new he does.

I know for sure I really don't like his voice in the last five albums and I simply can't step back enough to either enjoy or reject what he is doing now musically as a band. The expectations are unfairly high (unfair to Dylan that is).

If it was a record by somebody new that I'd never heard of it would be much easier to listen to. But then I 'd say he was copying Tom Waits. I just can't win with Dylan anymore.

If it sounds good, it is good.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: