Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fishman SoloAmp micro-review  (Read 7679 times)
dave42

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 04:03:15 AM »

I have both a Bose L1 Model one, and a SoloAmp.  Suggestions....

Get and use 2 subs with the Bose. I play in an acoustic duo. 2 vocals, 2 guitars, sometimes mic a snare, and a tambourine under my foot. Yes, sometimes 6 items, but usually at larger venues. Larger venues require 2 subs, as the lows , well just need it!

That being said, I said "Get and use 2 subs.. " . We played in a small, old country church wedding. Quiet pre-wedding music. We used both subs, and... well.. omg!!!! The rich, full sound absolutely filled the church. The preacher was asking about it for church use because it sounded so full.

So small or large venue, 2 subs!

Solo Amp.. We got this for smaller gigs. Fast and easy to setup. This thing can get loud!! And in the air, like it is, instead of low like an amp, it fills good sized rooms well. We replaced a SWR California Blonde with the SoloAmp. Weight was a big reason... 35# vs. 55#.  Lows... it could use more, but I compare it to the Bose when I say that. I didn't realize there was a tweeter control on the back until the 2nd gig. I set it about half way. (It was all the way up when new)

We use a mixer ever time!!! In fact I have a different mixer for each amp/pa. When we use the SoloAmp, we just plug in the guitars and vocals, so we have a smaller Yamaha mixer for that. EQ's and levels set for the SoloAmp. We use a bigger mixer for the Bose since we sometime use more mics. With both mixers we send the vocals to one input on the amp and instruments to another.

of course, these are mho's.. your mileage may vary. I hope this helps in some way!

Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 01:14:40 AM »

Dave42--

Do you use subs with the SoloAmp also; if so, which one, and have you encountered any problems or foresee anything that might be a concern?

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
dave42

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 01:39:17 AM »

Hi Dave.. sorry it took so long to respond!
No , we don't use subs with the Soloamp, mostly because that is our quick and easy/smaller gig setup. Kind of a 'keep it simple' setup.

The last 3 gigs with it I've been very happy with it. It seems to sound really good, now.  Again, not the Bose in sound, but easy for us for a lot of gigs.

Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)
wilblee

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 02:21:31 PM »

Dave's use of the SoloAmp and the Bose, pretty much mirror my own.  I also use two subs with my Bose (BTW - my church uses two Bose L1 Models 2's each with two subs as our main speakers and they're great - more on that in another post).  I, too, use the SoloAmp without subs.  Using (and carrying) subs would defeat the purpose.  Like Dave said, the SoloAmp is for smaller venues and easy setup.  Having said that, I've used the SoloAmp at three outdoor, albeit fairly intimate, gigs and it performed very well indeed.  On one of those I ran 3 guitars and two vocals, through a small mixer into the SoloAmp and the sound was impressive.  All three guitars were clearly delineated (It helped that the three guitars were all different sounding (Larrivee, Ovation and Yamaha)) as were the voices (ditto).  One more thing I've noted.  As the SoloAmp has gotten some break in time, the already very good sound has gotten better.  I'm still not anywhere near to selling my Bose, but I've got to really need it to choose it over the SoloAmp.

How do you make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans.

Jmae

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 05:35:17 AM »

The statement "Sell who you have to sell, kill what you have to kill and get one of these" is an understatement. The Fishman SoloAmp micro is a good investment. The service center has a good reputation in taking care of their valued customers. Patio Furniture
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 11:10:27 AM »

While were back to the solo amp, let me throw in something. Mine crapped out a few months ago. An oscilation type sqeal comeing out as soon as it was turned on. But this is not a slam, Quite the opposite. Stuff happens. Bad componant. Cust service was excellant. They shipped me a box. Paid for all shipping both ways and ultimately and quickly sent me new unit.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: