"Who are you now?" M.B.s

Started by Danny, April 27, 2009, 04:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This short song was written by Justin Hayward and played in some kind of open tuning.
  I have always liked the lyrics and the melody and was wondering if anyone has the tuning or an alternate standard tuning for this song. I just can't figure it out and can't find anything on the net.
     I really would appreciate some help here.
                           I'll find the you tube link to Justin playing this live in case anyone is interested.

Link please.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

This is a video of him playing part of the song during an interview re: being inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZTHjbjO43E    (This should work)

The 2cnd song he plays is "Never comes the day" which I figured out 20 years or so ago in standard tuning. When I play it it is recognizable but of course not as good as the open tuning.

This link is to the original version. This was released on an album called "Blue Jays" not actually the Moody Blues.
It's a short song and the link version has some dead space at the start. But is a good version after it starts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1TiYFiBZkw

While I'm on a "Justin" topic, here is my favorite song that he ever wrote. It's from the M B's album "Seventh Sojourn"

I guess it wasn't a hit because it is so reflective and dramatic. But this song was part of what gave me hope when I was in the lowest part of my Life.

The songs name is "New Horizons" here is the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF2__-K8qFo 

I saw them play this live one time, in Zilker Park in Austin, when I first moved here. I felt like I was the only one there that knew the lyrics. And I probably was one of only a handful, of course now I play this song myself.

Quote from: flatlander on April 27, 2009, 04:11:46 PM
Link please.
Sorry about the initial link. This one works for "Who are you now?"      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZTHjbjO43E

Hi Dan, there was a post on open tuning some months ago, it's called open G tuning......6.  E  becomes  D
                                                                                                                                           5.  A   .............  G
                                                                                                                                           4.  D  ..............  D
                                                                                                                                           3.  G   .............  G
                                                                                                                                           2.  B   .............  B
                                                                                                                                           1.  E   .............  D
I hope this is what you are lookin' for my friend? Remember your 1st fret becomes D D# E F F# and so on.
cheers
fongie

Quote from: fongie on April 27, 2009, 05:59:36 PM
Hi Dan, there was a post on open tuning some months ago, it's called open G tuning......6.  E  becomes  D
                                                                                                                                           5.  A   .............  G
                                                                                                                                           4.  D  ..............  D
                                                                                                                                           3.  G   .............  G
                                                                                                                                           2.  B   .............  B
                                                                                                                                           1.  E   .............  D
I hope this is what you are lookin' for my friend? Remember your 1st fret becomes D D# E F F# and so on.
cheers
fongie

Thanks fongie, if you listen to Justin's reference to Richie Havens and others, you realize he was experimenting with a lot of open tunings. What I am looking for is the specific tuning and chords used in this song. Which seems to be elusive.

Danny, I'm pretty sure all he is doing is tuning the high E down to D.
Do this, after tuning 1st string to D

1/--------5-----------
2/--------5-----------
3/--------5----------
4/--------0-----------
5/-------------------
6/-------------------

Then
1/--------0-----------
2/--------7-----------
3/--------7----------
4/--------0-----------
5/-------------------
6/-------------------
2nd chord has kind of a crazy pickin pattern, especially since he only uses one finger! I would have never thought he played like Merle.
Those chords are basicly C with D in bass to a D with no 5th. Let's call em C to D.
Then
1/--------0-------0------0-------0--------0--------0------0--
2/--------0-------1------1-------1--------0--------1------0--
3/--------0-------0------0-------2--------0--------0------0--
4/--------0-------2------2-------0--------0--------2------0-
5/--------2-------0------3-------0--------2--------0------2-
6/--------3-------x------x-------x--------3---------x------3
            G      Am7      C        D7*        G        Am7     G         *no 3rd but that's what flavor it has to me.
That 2nd Am7 he stays on a little long and accentuates the open 1st string at end
That's kinda close I think. You'll have to figure the picking patterns and rest of chords. Maybe strum along with regular tuning to figure chords then tune 1st down again. I might dink with it later in week. Cool chords/ shapes, like some that Willfly has.
A British thing perhaps. I'm not looking back over this so hope it's close.       

Thanks Matt,   Now I have something to work from. :+1:

Here's the rest. Not exactly how he does it but intentionally so. He's so subtle and voice fills in like instrument.
So a couple little change make it more definitive. Plus can be strummed well. This is close to how I would do it without disecting it further. From the beginning... and a 1 and a 2
Do this, after tuning 1st string to D

1/--------5-----------
2/--------5-----------
3/--------5----------
4/--------0-----------
5/-------------------
6/-------------------

Then
1/--------0-----------
2/--------7-----------
3/--------7----------
4/--------0-----------
5/-------------------
6/-------------------
2nd chord has kind of a crazy pickin pattern, especially since he only uses one finger! I would have never thought he played like Merle.
Those chords are basicly C with D in bass to a D with no 5th. Let's call em C to D.
Then
1/--------0-------0------0-------0--------0--------0------0--
2/--------0-------1------1-------1--------0--------1------0--
3/--------0-------0------0-------2--------0--------0------0--
4/--------0-------2------2-------0--------0--------2------0-
5/--------2-------0------3-------0--------2--------0------2-
6/--------3-------x------x-------x--------3---------x------3
            G      Am7      C        D7*        G        Am7     G   

1/------------------------------------------------------------------------
2/-----1----------------------3---------------------------------------------
3/-----2----------------------2---------------------------------------------
4/-----2----------------------4---------------------------------------------
5/----------------2-------------------------------------------------------
6/----------------3--------------------------------------------------------
       who    are you    now
2/---------1----------3-----------------------------------------------------
3/---------------------2---------------------------------------------------
4/---------2----------4-----------------------------------------------------
5/--------------------------------2---------------------------------------
6/--------------------------------3----------------------------------------
         first        love of     mine
2/-----1----------------------3---------------------------------------------
3/-----2----------------------2---------------------------------------------
4/-----2----------------------4---------------------------------------------
5/----------------2-------------------------------------------------------
6/----------------3--------------------------------------------------------
       if        you could    see
2/-----1----------1---------------------3---------------------------------------------
3/---------------------------------------2---------------------------------------------
4/-----2---------2---------------------4---------------------------------------------
5/----------------3-------------------------------------------------------
6/------------------------------------------------------------------------
 you'd reach out to           me

1/-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2/--------------------------3---------------------------1----------------------1--------------------------
3/------------------------------------------------------------------------------2------------------------
4/-------------------------3----------------------------3---------------------------------------
5/---------2--------------2----------------------------------------------------------------------
6/---------3--------------3---------------------------------------------------------------------
in hallways and in empty doorways  with no hiding places for you to go  (repeat chords)

1/-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2/--------------------1------------2----------1---------------------1-----------(1)--0----
3/---------------------------------------------2---------------------------------------
4/--------------------2------------2--------------------------------------------------
5/--------2------------------------3-------------------------2------2-----2---------
6/--------3---------------------------------------------------3------3-----3----------
cause you were all   there was          know about me!
I think that'll work. tweak if needed.

Quote from: flatlander  link=topic=26671.msg242690#msg242690 date=1241229196
Here's the rest. Not exactly how he does it but intentionally so. He's so subtle and voice fills in like instrument.
OK Matt, what do I owe you? Thanks so much for this. Even though my hands were numb, I practiced this some today. I tried it on my skinny neck Gibson and my Martin OM-21, but I gotta say the F-III sounds the best and is the easiest to play. I'm going to switch the saddle to the low fingerstyle one I made so I can work on this song until I nail it.
    Since it's such a nice melody and I can sing in this range I'm thinking of writing lyrics to the tune for my Mom's 75th birthday. All seven of us kids will be there. So I think I'll surprise about 70 people that will be gathered in Missouri and bring my amp and put a pick up in the F-III and sing a song to Mom using this tune.
    I may need to enlist Tuffy, to help write some lyrics. It will be a Forum song sang on a Forum git... but that will be a forum trivia item.                 
                               Thanks Matt, you really are a big help :thumbsup

Quote from: dependan on May 01, 2009, 11:19:31 PM
OK Matt, what do I owe you?
The song of you playing that you're tardy on posting.

Quote from: flatlander on May 02, 2009, 06:04:22 AM
The song of you playing that you're tardy on posting.
It's on my mind.. I need to buy my own Zoom or something and learn how to do it. Time is scarce right now though. I gotta go work right now even.

Danny, after your PM I listened to CD, which is what 2nd u-tube version is. He is tuned down a 1/2 step on studio version if you didn't relize that. I used first u-tube video. I made slight change on chords just leaving bass strings down on G where it goes to "empty"