Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L Benito guitar  (Read 4316 times)
keembo

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2009, 07:06:32 PM »

I recently won on auction an L Benito 232C grand auditorium used, but mint guitar.  Is there anyone else out there that owns one?  They got great reviews at the 2006 NAMM show, but Lito Benito quit making guitars in Chile and apparently is now building wooden boats.  He was formerly a custom shop luthier for Taylor for many years before leaving for Chile.  The unique thing about this guitar is the topwood, as it is a Chilean wood that is 3000 years old called alerce (pronounced ahl-air-say) and is of the larch family.  The wood used for these tops is quartersawn and single piece and not bookmatched, as the trees are large.  I am very pleased with both the workmanship and sound of this guitar.  Though not as bright as adirondack, it has a beautiful strong tone and a bit reminiscent of a good redwood or cedar topped guitar.  The looks of the alerce is stunning.
It is solid wood guitar grand auditorium cutaway with B band electronics so no controls on guitar.  Back/sides are Bolivian mahogany I believe.  I noticed great reviews on this guitar at Harmony Central and took a chance and am quite impressed.  Does anyone else out there play one?
jshowyin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 07:41:53 PM »

Found what I believe to be the guitar you bought on eBay's completed listings.  nice guitar

Would be great to hear a recording of you playing it if you have a chance. Take care and enjoy it.

"Faith"    2009 Larrivee FIII LSV-03HB (IS/Hog)
keembo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 08:11:28 PM »

Thanks, but I don't have any recording equipment.  I will say that I took a gamble on getting the guitar, since I didn't know anything about them, but I have had a couple of responses in email from a couple of owners that posted on Harmony Central User Reviews, and they were all very impressed with the L Benito guitar.  I paid about as much as I did for my LV-03E Larrivee and I love the Larrivee, but this Benito is certainly the quality of the Larrivee.  I have several other acoustics and occasionally take a gamble on unknown luthiers (before they get famous).  I bought a JF (John FItzgerald of Downey, CA) OM koa/adirondack that was on ebay and more than pleasantly surprised, as I have played some upper end Taylors, Martins, etc, and found John's OM to be exquisite in both build quality and sound.  He really should put up a website.  I think he just enjoys building them so much that he doesn't skimp on quality.  Back to the L Benito though....If you are anywhere that you could try one out, I would certainly recommend it.  It almost looks too nice to play it...lol, but being that you can't get them new anymore that I know of, and their original prices were up there, I figured maybe I could "invest" in a guitar instead of the stock market.  lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: