Who will be the first to sell their Forum III and why?

Started by Sabatini, April 20, 2009, 12:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: BluesMan1 on May 01, 2009, 06:53:25 PM
   Lynn, give us a hint, because if you're referring to who I think, it won't happen! :humour: Come on, out with it! Speak your mind. That's what an "open" forum is for! :?
     jeff   :guitar

This question has now been answered.    check out the "for sale" section.  The F III I referred to is now up for sale there.   The main question now is...  How long will it last ?

Lynn, not who I thought & I've never noticed any of his posts. That's too bad about his parting with it. In this market, & I'm not thinking that it's a Forum-III so grab it, I'm curious how fast it will sell @ that price. Not saying it's not worth it, just the market is tight for a "used" instrument. It's a #'d one, so that helps it "collectability". But all want these guitars, so you're probably right. It won't be there Monday! We'll see! Still haven't gotten the chance to work on mine today. Have spent most of the day answering PM's & emails. Got some good advice from Matt (photoman). Will get to it after dinner & walking the pouch. Those couple of hrs. following that are normally mine, but we'll see. My grandson is coming over for the night. A child with HADD, whose Mom won't put him on anything to help it, so my dog just feeds off his energy the moment he steps in the door. It's always funtime! Dog goes kinda crazy, Kyle goes kinda crazy, I go kinda crazy (more than usual!), so it's just a vicious cricle, like life!
   Enjoy your night! If I get frustrated, I'll just take out the Baden or the SD-50 to mellow out with.
     Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

This is the first one to actually be listed for sale.     Not mine, of course, it's Will's.

[attachment deleted by admin]

That is sooo too bad its a backwards F3.  Had it been a lefty, I'd be more than tempted to jump on it.  Having a IS/RW F3 just made me gas a little for a IS/MH F3.  The difference in the sound between the two is very noticeable to me, and I like it a lot.  Best wishes to will on the sale of the guitar.  By the pics, it looks like a really nice one.
1991 Larrivee lefty C19        Forum 3 #68A LS03 IS/RW HB lefty
Form 3 #52  LS03 all mahogany lefty
Yamaha FG450                    1993 Les Paul Standard lefty
Yamaha FG335                    2012 American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Classical (1974?)      2011 RS-2 w/P-90's
Takamine 12 string

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but there's one on eBay with an iMix pickup system.

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Quote from: Broadus on May 02, 2009, 02:34:38 PM
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but there's one on eBay with an iMix pickup system.

Bill

That's a real beauty with some nice looking wood. Set up as is, it's the top of the line in term of cut away, herringbone and i-mix. My guess says a Forum member picks it up :winkin:

~ Ray ~
Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Martin 0-16NY
Martin 0-18K
Martin 0-17

This is a "buyer's market" we won't soon forget, I think.

Bill

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Looks like the cutaway with I-mix on e-bay was just listed a few hours ago.    I wonder why the seller would choose to put it on e-bay rather than offer it for sale here first ?

The e-bay guitar belongs to Ron aka highervista...........  It is #22/78
Too bad.  It sounds like a forced sale rather than an unhappy owner.
Sorry Ron.    I know times are hard.

The cutaway really is a nice feature.
OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78

Some might be embarrased after all of the hype with the F-III. Might not want others to know about his hard times. Just conjecture. Finally did some work on my F-III & other than a "minor" problem, it is singing sooo sweet & the intonation seems right on. Strings are still stretching, so by morn I'll have a better idea.
   Put on the EJ-16's & this is where I ran into a prob. With just 2 strings. First off, when Jim slotted the 6th string slot (low"E"), even with the EXP's, the string pretty much just sat on the nut, not really seating much. Now it's high, but some fine filing will take care of that. Just a little touch-up. The 5th string was the real headache, just going to the bottom of the slot & buzzing when just played open. Also put my bone pins in, which wasn't easy. Boy, those things don't adjust for fit like Tusq or Ebony, sliding out easily until I had the string tightened up. Right size, just slippery. Finished putting on all of the strings, retuning all on each string change & pushing the pins down better. Bt the time i had gotten done, a miracle had occurred! The intonation was near perfect (didn't expect more with the strings still stretching) & the buzzing was going away gradually. By putting on all of ther strings, it must have created enough tension to help with that wacky 5th string slot. Jim's slot were so perfectly done that the strings really had to be seated completly, with almost zero tolerance allowed.
   By the time I got done playing around & finally got down to some playing, boy is this guitar sweeeet!. I'm not just saying that to go with the flow, but I mean it was giving me some sounds I've only experienced once before, with a Flammang Mesqite/Spruce OM. That thing sounded almost like a harp, my F-III now soundind as awesome. Intonation was getting better with playing & retuning, sounds were coming out that were so nice, it made up for all the aggrevation! Had to finally put it away to watch a movie, reluctantly. I'm hoping some more magical mojo happens over night & I awaken to an even more marvelous things.
   Matt, if you read this, I don't know what happened after we spoke. You heard the 5th string (I had him on speakerphone) & how funky it was. Things just started getting better & better the more strings I put on. Didn't even put the EXP string back on, as you had suggested just so I could play it. Appreciate you help & listening. Four ears are always better than two! Just have to work on that 6th string nut slot & I should have a perfect guitar. Will not only sound great, but Luca's making me those olivewood buttons like Josephs. We've all seen how great they look on his!
   And Lynn, thanks for your confidence in me & my guitar. I'll wager you thought I would give up & sell it. Won't happen ever. Even if, God forbid, something went wrong with it, I'd invest in fixing it or hold off until I had the $. This was made exactly for me, as I had said before this being the ony guitar Lrrivee has ever built that had a reversed neck on it. Just for me! Probably won't ever happen again, also! I've made some changes to my herd in the last couple of months, but all for the better. And now the F-III seems to be settling in nice. Might even have another bone saddle made, from my go-to guy. The Tusq sounds great right now, so no plans for that. Right now. Might even try putting Jim's saddle back on & see how it intonates. Then I'll know where I stand on that one! :thumb
   My next post won't be so big. I'll try to keep it down to 2 or 3 sentances. Just some teasers!
     Jeff  :guitar

Thanks for sharing that, Jeff. Glad you're getting things worked out.

What you said in the beginning is helpful. Some folks may be embarrassed to talk about selling their Forum III's or having problems with them after all the anticipatory joy and camaraderie. That is understandable, yet regrettable. The guitar was not only ordered sight unseen, it was ordered "model unknown"! It was a best-guess scenario, and the variation of woods made for even more intrigue.

It is not surprising if it doesn't work out for some. Some people are afflicted with buyer's remorse, others are ready to move on to the next new thing, and others have been playing long enough that they know what works for them and what doesn't. No crime; no foul; that's just the way things are.

For most, however, it is love at first, second, third, and future strum, and that's great. I'm really happy for all of you who love yours. Make beautiful music. And for those that it didn't work out, you'll find something that does, if you don't already have it. And who knows--the person you sell yours to may find it to be just the ticket and create some wonderful playing of his or her own. What's there not to like?

Bill

Some may have bought the F-III in anticipation of selling it for a profit. I'm not saying this is the case with the one on E-bay, but some may have done this.

This is just so sad. :crying:
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: BluesMan1 on May 03, 2009, 02:03:27 AM
Finally did some work on my F-III...it is singing sooo sweet & the intonation seems right on...Put on the EJ-16's...a miracle had occurred!...I finally got down to some playing, boy is this guitar sweeeet!...sounds were coming out that were so nice...And now the F-III seems to be settling in nice. Might even have another bone saddle made...The Tusq sounds great right now...Might even try putting Jim's saddle back on & see how it intonates...My next post won't be so big.      Jeff 

Jeff, I'm so glad to hear that your F III is sounding better!  I saw your earlier posts last night and didn't know how to respond without making you feel worse.  I was gonna post that I've also got similar issues with the nut (may need some filing) and when a couple strings snapped I put on the EJ16's (my favorite too).  I liked the EXP16's, and will try them again.  But I haven't tried out the Tusq yet...mine still sounds too nice with the Holler saddle (very harp-like).  BTW, I don't mind if post are long.  Hope your guitar keeps getting better, Ross

I bought mine to try out. I'm now offering it to someone on the forum who may have missed out or wants another one. No profit motive.   :guitar
Cheers,

Will

Acoustic, Electric & Air guitars

Quote from: willguitar on May 03, 2009, 10:19:56 AM
I bought mine to try out. I'm now offering it to someone on the forum who may have missed out or wants another one. No profit motive.   :guitar

Will,   
Understood.    I never thought otherwise.  You have other guitars and you know what you like and this one just didn't make the cut.   I'm sure it will become someone elses most prized possession  :bgrin:

Jeff
It isn't often that someone will put forth the effort that you did in order to get a guitar to give up it's beautiful sound.  Fortunately for most of us, the sound was there from the beginning.  I am very, very, happy that you took the right steps and ended up with the guitar you wanted all along.    :cheers
I guess the moral of this story is "don't give up on a guitar that you really like;  keep on making the necessary adjustments in order to get it just right"    It makes me wonder about guitars I've had in the past that I could might have been able to improve instead of just selling and moving on.

And, also, I understand being in a financial situation where you must sell a guitar or two in order to keep afloat.    Frankly, if the forum III was just now being designed and orders taken I would have to pass on it due to my own situation.   That would have been my great loss.  As it is I have a few guitars I can sell in order to give myself a little breathing room financially.  My Forum III won't be among the guitars that are on the auction block however.

Quote from: tuffythepug on May 03, 2009, 10:57:35 AM

Will,   
Understood.    I never thought otherwise.  You have other guitars and you know what you like and this one just didn't make the cut.   I'm sure it will become someone elses most prized possession  :bgrin:

Hi Lynn,

To clarify, I was responding to another person in this thread. Glad you got in on the Forum III order. Look forward to meeting you. :-)
Cheers,

Will

Acoustic, Electric & Air guitars

Bill, I agree with you 100%, except I hope you were referring to me about selling. There are those that only want to post positive things & aren't totaly truthful about their experiences. That's on them. Thank you for sharing support to you, Ross, & Lynn. I'm one of those people that don't give up easily (was sometimes a problem in sports!) & will fixate on a problem until I get to the bottom of it. Have a feeling what might have to be done with my F-III to make it "perfect", but even right now, it's perfect for me, for many of the factors that Bill mentioned. Unique, made just for me, outstanding tonal qualities, & easy to play, even if the action is a little high right now. Workable.
   And Lynn, the only 2 guitars I "gave up" on were my Taylor GS8 & a Martin D-16GTR. The Taylor was too close in size to my L-10 & didn't sound near as good, & the Martin had that "micarta" fretboard that I just couldn't stand. Fake wood. Sucks. My fingers wouldn't glide over it easily & just didn't like the playability of it, which I felt wouldn't change with time. Tried to like it because of the sound, but the fretboard was the deciding factor on that one. Ended up getting my OM-05 when I brought my Taylor back, & my OM-03SP when I brought the Martin back. Saved $ on both & was happy, until something better came along. I traded my OM-03SP to Jim as a down-payment to Jim for the F-III & the OM-05 for my SD-50, ending up with extra $ for the bone nut for my F-III also. Still can't get over that SD-50. What a but & what sound from it. Amazing! As Bill said, sight unseen for an unknown body style to me (the F-III). Felt it would be something special & now have a keeper that I can really enjoy!
   Was playing my F-III before going online & all seems to have settled in nicely, just the low "E" sitting high on the nut. As I said, I can deal with that later. But now I know. Lynn, Matt, Danny, & others with the same wood combo as me, IS/HOG, now I know just what you were talking about as far as the sound of this guitar. It does have a bell-like or, as I referred to it before, an almost harp like sound to it. The more I'm playing it, which really hasn't been that much compared to the rest, the more I'm discovering about the sound. Truly a special guitar! And Lynn, as you said & I'll say it again for myself, this will never leave me until I die & my wife gets ripped off trying to sell it (if life works that way for me!)! :humour: :thumb :thumb
     Jeff, now VERY much happy!   :guitar