Who will be the first to sell their Forum III and why?

Started by Sabatini, April 20, 2009, 12:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was not able to participate in the Forum III purchase, nor could I buy a used one now.

I am sure they are wonderful guitars and wish you all great joy with them.  But, inevitably, someone will either need to sell one or just decide it isn't their cup of tea.

It will be interesting to see who/why that is.
Rob Hanesworth

'91 Larrivee JB-09 with Sitka top/Indian Rosewood back and sides (12-fret 00 size)

Taylor GA7 -- Alvarez AP 70

I'll jump in first. 

I was underwhelmed when I first saw and then played the LS-03R.  Made me wish I had never sold the SD-50 last year.

But as I have been playing it, the thing has become a bit less "tight" and the sound is becoming more "open".  Don't get me wrong, it is a very nice guitar.  The 12-fret design gives it more dynamic range than the typical 14-fret design. 

But if I'm not reaching for it after 6 months it'll be on Craigslist or this forum.  I think I am like many here, a mover of guitars more than a collector.
Play it daily for best results.

I wondered this months ago when people were agonizing about whether to order one or not -

My assumptions -

1) Economics - people will sell it because they feel it will be the easiest one to sell in a bad market, and they will need the money to make a house payment or put food on the table. Maybe they will have tried to sell another guitar that has not had any offers, but then they will decide they have to sell something. I am one of those people who believes things will probably get worse before they get better, and I am not sure how to define "better", since I think we're going to see some very different economic conditions in the years ahead -

2) Sound - Some will sell because they want a different sound than the LS body gives, or it won't be different enough from a favorite instrument that they would never think of selling -

3) Playability - Some will find they are too limited by the 12 fret neck, or the body size, or something -

4) Change - Some just enjoy trying new things, and some new design/wood/feature will catch their fancy, and they just won't have bonded with this one -

I think there will be trades - people who ordered mahogany and think they would prefer rosewood, or vice versa -  and those who love their guitar but didn't order a cutaway, or something similar.  This is going to be a whole little cottage industry for some time to come -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

We all have let go of guitars we wish we never would have sold or traded, and that will inevitably happen with some of the Forum III guitars.  The mahogany topped Larrivees (as some of the FIII's are) can take 2 years or so, from my experience, to really sound open and start reaching their sonic potential, and that may have some folks selling once the honeymoon is over and the tone just isn't there yet for them.  Don't get me wrong, hog tops sound great from the get-go but they definitely come into their own given some time and lots of playing.  And no matter what, just because a guitar has everything we want (woods, scale length, trim, etc.) once we get them we realize they just don't do it for us...that's why it pays to play before you buy. 

I had the custom guitar of my dreams built and sold it quickly after getting it because it didn't sound right to me, and the fellow that bought it must think I'm deaf because he loves it.  Just like the other forum guitars, these will show up on the "for sale" page in time...some of the other forum guitars have been around to 3 owners on the forum before finally finding a "permanent" home.  We all get the jones for another acoustic, and it's hard to get that monkey off your back!  I'm currently in recovery myself...I'm happy with my one Larrivee.  It only took 15 or so before I found the true keeper.  You'll have your chance at one soon enough, Sabatini.  Start saving your $$$ now and be ready.

Cheers!

Justin
OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")

It's all how it will sound in time. P_S, like you said, it could be 6 months, or longer ,or less. I traded my OM-05 to Jim for the '06 SD-50. Have absolutly no regrets. I thought my OM sounded fantastic, grt this one, & it blows that one away. How I feel 6 months after I get my F-III, who knows. Time will tell. But it will be a keeper 'cause I'm done buying. Done. Tuta finuta! No more. That's what my wife told me. :crying: Little does she know... :nana_guitar
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

If I had a chance to play my Forum III prior to purchase I would of walked on it.  The major issue being the lack of definition/clarity on the bass side and, to a lesser degree, the D-shaped neck affecting playability.  I own four other Larrivees, all from the Traditional series, and the Forum comes up short in comparison. 
   I've always been looking for an affordable 12 fret cutaway with the Larrivee sound so I will give my Forum III more time.   I know adirondack tops take some time to play in and maybe that's the case with the Italian spruce.  I'm sure hoping, and if not, to the FS forum tout suite.

gtrplayer   

Quote from: Sabatini on April 20, 2009, 12:29:42 PM
I was not able to participate in the Forum III purchase, nor could I buy a used one now.

I am sure they are wonderful guitars and wish you all great joy with them.  But, inevitably, someone will either need to sell one or just decide it isn't their cup of tea.

It will be interesting to see who/why that is.

What a silly, trolling question.  This site is rolling downhill rapidly.

Quote from: obe-wan on April 21, 2009, 09:02:25 AM

I agree. Im outta here.

Surely not more people leaving.  For one reason or another the past few days have been much more positive, with some decent threads again.  Agreed this thread could be interpreted as negative, but I don't believe it was meant that way, and there has been some good humour, banter and informative stuff again recently.  Your participation is always valued Scott.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: Walkerman on April 21, 2009, 08:53:05 AM
What a silly, trolling question.  This site is rolling downhill rapidly.
:+1: :+1: :+1:
2008 Larrivée L-03SO (Grevillea Robusta)
2008 Art & Lutherie Ami Almond
2000 Larrivée OM-02

Apparently Scott is indeed out of here.   I tried to reply to a PM he sent me and I get the message that obe-wan cannot be found.   

If I may make a suggestion:    To those who feel the forum has become too negative or has turned into an on-line  b_ _ _ h-fest.........    Leaving the forum and cancelling your membership only serves to rob the rest of us of your positive influence and interesting comments.   The logical outcome of this is that the forum gets taken over by bottom-feeding trouble-makers.   I'm not naming anyone who may fall into that category but I think we all know there are a few.   Keep in mind that when you leave the forum you can no longer send or receive PMs.  Please don't cut yourself off from the entire forum membership because you are dis-enchanted with the direction it's going in.   Try to change the direction or just ignore the parts that trouble you.    Or not.   I guess everyone will do what they feel they need to do.  I just hate to lose contact with forum friends because of some things that certain people feel they need to post;  That feels like a double-whammy to me.   I'm not ready to totally give in yet although I will be taking a less active role in the forum for a while.   Remember the forum is exactly what we make it or allow it to become.

Tuffythepug

Hey obe-wan, if you are still reading the forum:   I will pass on your comments to Danny for you.   Sorry you felt compelled to pull out.
Lynn

ditto on tuffy

sometimes the best way to react to a misbehaving child is to ignor them.
Don't give them the attention they are trying to manipulate.

When they post something out of place -  don't take the bait.

- Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

:?WTF......I see nothing negative about this post.A simple ?,not so simple answer's.Not everyone is going to like there new toy and responded by stating there reason for doing so then moving on to the next threas.

Hey I use to refuse to work on Taylor's because I didn't like them,now I work on anything.I have a right to MO as does everyone else.That said...........

Get the torches BURN DOWN THE VILLAGE,PILLAGE AND PLUNDER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :arrow :wacko:

Doughnuts for rent call 5551254 anytime,we deliver....... :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut2
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

This is a negative question? This is considered trolling?

With all the hype and emotion involved in this project, this seems like a natural outgrowth of a process. So many people were so hyped about this whole thing, and a few went so over the top if someone questioned anything about it, I think that now we are going to see attempts at coming up with a reasonable perspective on all this. Part of that perspective is that this is just a guitar - and alot of us have had more than a few guitars go through our hands over the years.

It is going to take a while for this to settle out - I flew to Vancouver and had my hands on my finished guitar 5 weeks ago, and I am still waiting anxiously for some indication of when it is going to be shipped to me. Am I a little upset? Yes! Its been paid in full, but I still don't have a clue when I'll get it. Am I still feeling a bit of an emotional roller roller coaster from this process? Yes again!

I can only guess that I am part of the problem that some of you are so aware of, but I seem to be missing so much of -  Questions about guitars are a problem, but taking over an interesting thread to discuss rubber testicles is OK?

Sorry - don't understand. I guess I'm gonna sit out and let y'all make this into what you think is right, and see if it works for me -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: unclrob on April 21, 2009, 10:38:01 AM
:?WTF......I see nothing negative about this post.

Yeah I didn't get either.
Hey UR hope things are going well heard you increased your speed a bit.
The Dude abides.

Rev ya my boss got me high speed,only problem is the driver is still using a cane to push it along.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I can only guess that I am part of the problem that some of you are so aware of, but I seem to be missing so much of - questions about guitars are a problem, but taking over an interesting thread to discuss rubber testicles is OK?

No offense was intended. I would also add that thread thread was hardly taken over, just veered a bit and back on again like many other threads here. I've yet to see any interesting thread stay totally on topic. But, whatever. Like I said, sorry if it offended you.

I'm not sure what the ruckus is about this thread. But apparently my ruckus sighting abilities have been a bit off, lately. I mean, how many tempests can a teapot hold?

is going to take a while for this to settle out - I flew to Vancouver and had my hands on my finished guitar 5 weeks ago, and I am still waiting anxiously for some indication of when it is going to be shipped to me. Am I a little upset? Yes! Its been paid in full, but I still don't have a clue when I'll get it. Am I still feeling a bit of an emotional roller roller coaster from this process? Yes again!

That would frustrate me to no end. I'm sorry you are going through that. I don't deal well with that kind of stuff, well, who would, and usually there's a lot of teeth gnashing and flailing about of hands. Is there anyone that can help you?

Was it you that mentioned the factory might be closed temporarily? * What is that all about?

holly

*rumour disclaimer, no need to rush the doors. My recall is iffy.
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: unclrob on April 21, 2009, 10:41:53 AM
Rev ya my boss got me high speed,only problem is the driver is still using a cane to push it along.
'
Replace that cane with a whip!
The Dude abides.

Got one of those but the boss won't let me touch it...... :whistling:
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I hope nobody inferred from my above comments that I, too, think this thread had negative vibes.
It seemed fairly innocent to me.   I suppose that if you read the OP with a sneer on your face and a totally condescending and sarcastic tone it could be construed otherwise.  I prefer to treat it as a simple straightforward question.   And I believe the answer will be either gtrplayer or prof_stack as it seems they are the main contenders at the moment.  That could always change of course as more and more folks are receiving their much-anticipated forum III's and some may find them lacking is some way.