Who will be the first to sell their Forum III and why?

Started by Sabatini, April 20, 2009, 12:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben, the thread isn't really going downhill, just people expressing their opinions about the thread topic. Isn't that why it's called what it is? Some have some negative feelings, but not that strong. And also, because it's not all "this thing is outa' this world!", " best wood I've ever seen on a -03 series", etc., doesn't mean the topic isn't being addressed. As I said, I haven't gotten my F-III yet, it's a one-of-a-kind build (righty body,lefty neck, just for me!), & I'm hoping it sounds as good as all of you have posted. It will be a keeper no matter what. Just for those reasons , as far as the build. Sure, someone can put neck dots on the other side & take care of that issue, if it was for sale. I've been doing that with every guitar for years. Just a "small" price I pay for the way I play. All of the pics I've seen & the amorous comments made about the woods, really don't mean s***. It's how it plays, sounds, & hits you that matters. Some it hit's, others it hasn't yet & might not.  I'm sure most of those that haven't quite taken to theirs completely won't say so, & when they do, it's considered "going downhill"? :?
   Everyone can express their opinions, even if you don't agree. You know that. I'd like to hear more feedback, especially if there is negative, to see if there is consistency in problems reported, like string/nut issues (you've experienced some). I commented on the nut/string issue on another thread & got jumped on because I said to contact Wendy if it was a problem alot were experiencing. Made my point why I can't call BC to talk to someone there, as some so nicely commented on, since I'm in the US. If it's sound issues, all is subjective. I can't comment on the sound & platability of my F-III until I've gotten it & had time to play it. Not completely played-in, just some one-on-one time.
   I also ordered the olivewood buttons from "asp" to put onto my F-III, after seeing Joseph's & him telling me that I had to get them. Ordered 7, just in case.
   This thread should pan out to be an interesting one, even if you see it as not that good. Some negative input never hurt, especially if it helps iron out some issues. Glad to hear you got your tuning problem taken care of, besides others. This thread is just based on reality of the times & peoples thoughts. Should keep it. IMHO! :?
   Those that don't agree, I don't get it. It's not negative, just honest! Now you guys can beat me up again, which is becoming more common on the Forum lately, for some strange reason. You say something "bad" about a Larrivee & all run or tear you apart. And I never said anything bad about them, just want to see the thread run it's course.. They're my favorite brand of guitars. Bottom line!  :wave
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

My two cents. When I first saw this thread, I thought oh crap why did somebody have to post that. However, I have thought right from the beginning (January 2) with so many people getting on board who were either new to the forum and/or Larrivee that there was the possibility that there would be some quick sales of the FIIIs. That being said, I also knew that some folks wouldn't like the guitar in the end and I feared that I too might be one of those.

It's simple, we're all different and we all like different things in our guitars. Let's try to make peace prevail on the forum please.  :smile:

Lynda

PS Lynn, you better not be going anywhere, or you're gonna have to answer to me! :whistling:
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: BenF on April 21, 2009, 09:07:42 AM
Surely not more people leaving.  For one reason or another the past few days have been much more positive, with some decent threads again.  Agreed this thread could be interpreted as negative, but I don't believe it was meant that way, and there has been some good humour, banter and informative stuff again recently.  Your participation is always valued Scott.
I agree with Ben. When I first saw this thread I thought it might be trouble but I didn't see problem with replies at all. In fact I was thought it was another indication that the BS was fading over last week.
I feel a definite upswing to my taste. It's made me think more about my own, hopefully not negitive, but possibly frivilous post. I'll never stop that completely but looking to balance it with productive post and not run my mouth so much that people get sick of me. I think that may be part of the problem. Most people can only take so much of anybody.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

I've swept up my eggshells.  And now I'm going to embroider tea towels. No, really.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Holly, you're a woman of many talents! And to think I thought you just made fantastic cookies! :bgrin:
     Jeff
   And Lynda, how about me (not to leave you out, I'm sure you're also a woman of many talents!)? Will a tear be shed if I part ways, before I get thrown out for my comments? I'm trying to be good, but it's hard sometimes. We all have that impish-self in us all! In the words of Billy Joel, "they're the faces of the stranger & we love to try them on"! :yawn

As a new kid around here, (I'm about to turn 60 and REALLY enjoyed just referring to myself as a kid!!!)... I'm really sorry to hear what I thought was a reasonable question seems to be looked upon with the thought that the OP was trolling for dissention.

Having watched the Fender Forum and the Taylor Forum, (now the AGF), both do forum guitars long ago, the same basic question arose and I don't recall anyone taking offense. More than that, it became a joke, speculating about who turned over more guitars than anyone else, teasing about how people would advertise them on ebay, calling them vintage when they were 6 weeks old and all that.

I'm sorry to sound ignorant, (my wife tells me I am all the time), but what is so negative about the question? I've bought a few guitars that didn't eventually live up to my expectations. Am I missing something?

:gotdonuts:
Larrivee L03SP, (all sapele)
Taylor 110
Martin DSM
Silver Creek T-160

This thread is a valid one.  No trolling was intended by the OP.  So, back on track:

Last night I tuned the LIII and could not get it to sound good in a "cowboy" G-chord.  Any barred E-chord sounded wonderful but more open chords just seemed off to my ears.  Maybe its an intonation issue.  When I put it away for the night I muttered something about not planning on keeping it.

But the tusq saddle is going on today and I'll play the stuffing out of the LS to get used to the "original" sound.  And, yes, I am going to be patient.
Play it daily for best results.

ps- if it is an intonation prob as a result of bridge placement, that would fall under a warranty issue, as I'm sure you know. If it's a problem others are having also, it should be addressed by Larrivee. They're always good @ resolving issues, but if it's turning into a larger prob, as it seems many have recently been reporting the same type of problem (tuning), then there might be a large scale issue. Don't want to hear that. It seems like the other probs are string/nut ones, but tuning is always mentioned. Some have resolved their issues, others haven't. Will be interesting to see about this one.
   Strat, as far as the other Forums you mentioned, I've noticed that people get GAS more on those sites (esp.Fender). Don't know if it's the products, but from my experience with both brands, it was. Look @ how many different Strat & Tele types they offer. Mind boggling. Just wanted something different & better. You came to the right place! :thumb
   Have some doughnuts & welcome! Seems I've seen your name here before, so you might already have had your fill of food! :donut :donut :donut2 :donut :donut

"....This is a negative question? This is considered trolling?...."  Well, yeah.

Here's how I read the question....

"Tell us what you don't like about your forum guitar"

Quote from: Walkerman on April 21, 2009, 12:37:36 PM
"....This is a negative question? This is considered trolling?...."  Well, yeah.

Here's how I read the question....  "Tell us what you don't like about your forum guitar"

I think you read the question with more focus than the OP intended.  It is virtually impossible that all the FIII buyers will keep their guitars forever (like more than a couple of years).  Some WILL come up for sale here and will be snatched up quickly if the price is right.
Play it daily for best results.

It's just a guitar people. And a simple question. No one insulted anyone's religion or god. It's getting like the political world around here. Everyone scrutinizing every word someone says to turn it into a negative. Or only listening to the news station that says exactly what you want to hear. Maybe we can start name calling next. I hear Fascist is a popular insult now. We have all gone through tons of guitars we've bought and loved one day just to turn around and sell it a short time later. there was a lot of hype about the FIII and I'm sure most will be thrilled. But some will not be, and will be disappointed after all the anticipation. They'll sell it and move on. Whats the big deal it's just a guitar not husband or wife. Please stop looking for things to be offended by. To me whats making the forum go down hill is the constant whining about it going downhill. NOW LET'S GET BACK TO TALKING ABOUT GUITARS !!!  On a positive note I love when people post their music no matter what their skill level.

Quote from: gluve1 on April 21, 2009, 02:11:33 PM
On a positive note I love when people post their music no matter what their skill level.
I plan getting back to that when I get new computer in a few weeks when tax return comes in. I'm dead in the water right now.
Working on fingerpicking and want to share progress,and  it is a work in progress. But yea, I love  to hear from everyone as well.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: BluesMan1 on April 21, 2009, 11:11:17 AM
   Ben, the thread isn't really going downhill, just people expressing their opinions about the thread topic.

Jeff, you misunderstand me.  I never said that this thread was negative.  I dont think it is, and I have been one of the few to raise concerns about my forum III (inability to stay in tune).  I merely raised my concern and unhappyness that Scott left the forum.  He is a good guy, and I am sorry that the bad vibes over the past few weeks drove him to leave.  I think he misinterpreted the intention of this thread.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: Walkerman on April 21, 2009, 12:37:36 PM

Here's how I read the question....

"Tell us what you don't like about your forum guitar"

Even if he did mean it like that, so what?  Why is that not a perfectly valid question?  The forum is for discussion, I thought, and not just blind fluffing of these guitars. 

I think the tuners on my F-III are very weak and only barely acceptable.   Is that alright to say, or will someone (often in melodramatic fashion) write that they're leaving the forum because of it?

There are a lot of hypersensitive people around here.  Like someone else said... These are just freakin' guitars, and they ain't perfect...  Can we all live in reality, here? 

Adam

QuoteEven if he did mean it like that, so what?  Why is that not a perfectly valid question?  The forum is for discussion, I thought, and not just blind fluffing of these guitars.

I think the tuners on my F-III are very weak and only barely acceptable.   Is that alright to say, or will someone (often in melodramatic fashion) write that they're leaving the forum because of it?

There are a lot of hypersensitive people around here.  Like someone else said... These are just freakin' guitars, and they ain't perfect...  Can we all live in reality, here?

Adam

Well said Adam.    :+1:

I have seen more than a few people who have voiced there issues/problems with Larrivees here and consequently have been chastised for doing so.  I know this is the Larrivee Forum frequented by those who like Larrivees, and I count myself as one also, but I would hope all opinions would be welcomed and received without bias.    

gtrplayer

I discovered this description on Wikipedia as I was doing a little research on the difference between a "fan" and a "fanatic" (I was curious how the two words related to each other)

QuoteFanaticism is an emotion of being filled with excessive, uncritical zeal, particularly for an extreme religious or political cause or in some cases sports, or with an obsessive enthusiasm for a pastime or hobby. Philosopher George Santayana defines fanaticism as "redoubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim"[1]; according to Winston Churchill, "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject". By either description the fanatic displays very strict standards and little tolerance for contrary ideas or opinions.

The difference between a fan and a fanatic is that while both have an overwhelming liking or interest in a given subject, behaviour of a fanatic will be viewed as violating prevailing social norms, while that of a fan will not violate those norms (although the person may be considered unusual).[2] A fanatic differs from a crank, in that a crank is defined as a person who holds a position or opinion which is so far from the norm as to appear ludicrous and/or provably wrong, such as a belief in widespread alien abduction. In contrast, the subject of the fanatic's obsession may be "normal", such as an interest in religion or politics, except that the scale of the person's involvement, devotion, or obsession with the activity or cause is abnormal or disproportionate.

According to this description, I guess we have both on this Forum.

Perhaps we will find a way to coexist.
Ron

I was hoping the euphoria would last until everyone had their guitars in hand (like me).
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Back to the OP's subject...

When I finally decided that I would not be jumping on the Forum III bandwagon (fiscal restraint won out over lust for a desirable object) I consoled myself with the knowledge that eventually some of these guitars would come up for sale, and that perhaps I would still be interested in owning one.

To think that none of the original purchasers would have second thoughts about their purchase, or have some other over riding need to sell, is pretty naive.

So, back to the original question. Who will be first?  :bgrin:

Ron

Ben, sorry I misunderstood your point. It seemed that everyone was mad about this thread, but I guess I involved you wrongly. I had read your post about tuning probs & saw that you did the easiest, but sometimes the hardest thing with good ones, & changed the strings. Good that your prob was solved that easy. People walk into shops complaining about buzzing, going out of tune, etc.. All the tech or luthier does is strum it, change the strings, & all's taken care of. Sorry again if I misinterpreted what was said.
   I've said this before, that I was encouraged by my luthier to learn how to do my own neck adjustments. It isn't hard. but only go a 1/4 turn @ a time (clockwise for a concave neck or depending on where the buzzing is). It's always easy when it's a quarter turn, so all should try it.