Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternatives to traditional materials  (Read 1128 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2009, 06:07:42 PM »

This thread could be as diverse as any other. I have a guitar made of very different materials to the norm.
For starters, the Fretboard and saddle are made of Lead-wood - it is very dense, and evenly coloured - no need for black dye there.
The neck and body of my guitar is made of Kiaat - an African Teak variety.
The nut-material is Warthog-Ivory. I also have a genuine (elephant) Ivory saddle on my Nylon-string Guitar.
The modern day Ivory of choice I believe is fossilized mammoth walrus, and some or other buffalo horn for pin material.
The only "normal" material used is the Engelman Spruce top from LMI.
What other interesting materials are used on guitars?

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 07:16:21 PM »

There's plenty of woods out there used for guitars that most people haven't heard of. Carbon fiber is used by a lot of people now for bracing, struts and even tops. Nomex is used as the middle layer in 'double tops'.

flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 07:29:31 PM »

Maybe not exactly what you were talking about, but you said thread could be diverse.
http://www.backporchmojo.com/Home_Page.php

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
magictwanger

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:48:21 PM »

Hey Zohn!!!I guess the Smoothe Talker has come in....Congrats

Sure do hope you're happy with it!
magictwanger

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 03:15:51 AM »

FWIW,since the question has been posed.....

In this Winter's edition of the wonderful "Fretboard Journal"(gotta love that periodical,btw)there is a very interesting article on the musician/guitar collector   "Stephen Bruton".

Amongst his superb collection of guitars is "one" particular model which he claims is made of "toilet seat wood"...literally from an old toilet seat.....Hey,it's what I read!!!

He goes on to state that it has a unique voice,and is quite legit for how it shapes a note.Hmm?

Best to all
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 05:50:50 AM »

Hey Zohn!!!I guess the Smoothe Talker has come in....Congrats

Sure do hope you're happy with it!
Hey Mark
Yes, it has arrived, and I'm so thrilled - it is the most incredible instrument. The note definition when playing chords as in Jazz is mid boggling, each note sings out. I took it to a dealer on Saturday for a Hard Shell Case, and the store owner is a very accomplished blues player. I had a difficult time taking it from him. He played some slide licks as well in DADGAD tuning, and he loved it (so did I).  I need to take it back for final set-up and some fret leveling though, and then she'll be ready for serious grafting. BTW, I've lost interest in the "finger style-You-know-what" for the moment, this Smooth Talker might be the guitar to fill that role perfectly. However, knowing myself and the continued "natural" wandering for something different, I never say never. (certainly not when the day arrives when my path crosses with the H&D 00, or the H-13 SC) I will still do "the project" if there are members interested though.
You can view it on my web album http://s421.photobucket.com/albums/pp298/zohn_photo/Smooth%20Talker/

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
magictwanger

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 11:26:25 PM »

Hey,what's not to LOVE about a new instrument?Especially one as unique as "that"....WOW!!!

Btw,I know how you feel about "you know what".Do you think I'm worying about "it" afer spending time with my newbies?Especially after the tendonitis disaster,which hit on the "exact" week end of getting my Bourgeois.Thank Goodness I am "way" past the problem,and am most appreciative of owning some exquisite gits....like you.

Best regards,and to borrow a phrase from you....."I'm thrilled for you"!!
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 12:47:17 AM »

The "Six String Nation" guitar project is interesting in that it uses iconic symbols and materials from across Canada in the build

The Six String Nation guitar is made from 63 pieces of history and heritage from every part of Canada representing many different cultures, communities and characters from across the country. One additional piece is found on the guitar strap and 4 others are found in the lining of the guitar case.

http://sixstringnation.com/en/the_guitar

Ron

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 05:03:29 AM »

The "Six String Nation" guitar project is interesting in that it uses iconic symbols and materials from across Canada in the build

http://sixstringnation.com/en/the_guitar

That is so cool, thanks Ron!  +1

naboz
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 07:31:55 PM »

Machhhnaughton,
thanks for thhat!  What a piece!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: