Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does "smoke free home" mean anything to you?  (Read 3569 times)
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2009, 04:31:54 AM »

the creature

Sorry, that's right. It was pretty funny though.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2009, 06:39:13 AM »

where does that leave, say, Prince Charles?
holly
"Oh I say old chap" - I wonder which would be worse: in a smokey restaurant or with him , I'll have to eat "hot potatoes" all the time to maintain the accent. 

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2009, 06:47:16 AM »

Lucky you.  You can take the first available table.  But those who wait for a table in an area free of smoke are not necessarily snobs because of their preferance to enjoy their meal free from the stench of stale smoke.
Besides the stench, when I eat, I need to rise for air every now and then too.
I must add that besides a long list of negative things in my country, I fully support the legislation prohibiting smoking in public and the work place.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2009, 07:36:36 AM »

Besides the stench, when I eat, I need to rise for air every now and then too.
I must add that besides a long list of negative things in my country, I fully support the legislation prohibiting smoking in public and the work place.

Smoking in enclosed public spaces has been illegal for some time in Scotland now.  Despite initial objection from smokers, I believe the vast majority feel it has been a good thing.  You can take your kids anywhere now, and go out for a meal or to a pub without coming home stinking of smoke.  I disagree that the blanket ban should have been dictated in the way it was, and that there should have been some discretion involved from owners of pubs and restaurants, but a few years into the ban, it is just accepted as the norm now.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2009, 07:38:44 AM »

Smoking in enclosed public spaces has been illegal for some time in Scotland now.  Despite initial objection from smokers, I believe the vast majority feel it has been a good thing.  You can take your kids anywhere now, and go out for a meal or to a pub without coming home stinking of smoke.  I disagree that the blanket ban should have been dictated in the way it was, and that there should have been some discretion involved from owners of pubs and restaurants, but a few years into the ban, it is just accepted as the norm now.
+1

Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2009, 12:39:08 PM »

I'm guessing that the muppet fur in the cases is what really holds the smoke scent. If I got a guitar that had a strong smoke odor, I think I would begin by replacing the case.
hatofthecat

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2009, 04:57:58 PM »

Somebody shoot me down if I'm wrong but I pretty much remember that its the tar that smells and not the nicotine (and those yellow fingers are tar stains not nicotine).  Anyway I'd certainly consider it a plus that someone stated "smoke free home" as it perhaps suggets a little care in state of the guitar while they had it (though I did see one recently that was scratched to heck under the strings from wild use of a pick and owner kindly stated that it was smoke free.... "well thats ok then, you've used it to bang nails in but at least you didn't smoke any place near it....").  blush

I bought an old 1960's 12 string off ebay the other year and it STANK !!!! I had to refrain from leaning over close into the sound hole while playing as the smoke stink was pretty grim. The case was the worst though and it spent over month outside and then in my shed for two more.  I brought it in one evening thinking it smelt ok by then but by morning it had left my living room smelling like an 80 a day sumo wrestler's jock strap  rolleye

don't get me started on all those smelly things people plug into their electrical outlets to mask yet other smells
yak too right.... I helped some friends move into their new place last year and we unplugged over a dozen of those Glade chemical plant outlets.... apparently they were there to cover up the smell of a dog that previous owners had.... perhaps it was actually dead and they had buried it under the floorboards or something ?!?!?? ...  wacko

Smoking in enclosed public spaces has been illegal for some time in Scotland now
...and same in England too, is nice to be able to go out for a few beers and know whatever you are wearing won't have to go straight in the wash from cigarette stink when you get home  rolleye

Pete

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2009, 04:54:10 PM »

is nice to be able to go out for a few beers and know whatever you are wearing won't have to go straight in the wash from cigarette stink when you get home  rolleye

Pete

I would just like to be able to take a shower, go out to the pub for the evening and come home and go to bed without taking another shower.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2009, 05:23:09 PM »

I'm guessing that the muppet fur in the cases ...

Oh the horror!  ohmy
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2009, 06:25:54 PM »

Yes, It's just a matter of time before PETA get's involved....

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
naboz
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2009, 01:05:32 PM »

That's actually the reverse side of a nauga-hyde (hide); what the fur of a nauga actually looks like.   rolleye
They are protected now (Elmo was lead attorney in the case!), these are simulated--no naugas were harmed in the production of Larrivee cases  bigrin
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2009, 12:33:52 PM »

hey you can scoff, but if you think Oscar is grouchy now, just wait until his hair takes on the miasma of a dirty ashtray and turns into a yellow fetid furball.  yak
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: