Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does "smoke free home" mean anything to you?  (Read 3561 times)
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 04:05:53 PM »

I have been working on a song for a few days, thought I was doing well, and recorded a simple video of it with my camcorder.  It was like listening to cats fighting.  I blame it on the camcorder.

When I get around to recording myself, I'll make sure I keep a bucket of fresh water next to me to give the camera a good dunking if it starts to misrepresent me.

And then I'll take up smoking.....

If it sounds good, it is good.

ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 04:22:38 PM »

Time for a word from our thread...

"Smoke free home" in the sales pitch means the person is a snob and proud of it or wants to be politcally correct. It's getting to the point that it really doesn't mean anything anymore (it's overdone) but then again there are hyper-sensitive people that can't handle even the word cigarette.

I used to smoke (I should have saved the green stamps for the quadruple by-pass) but don't anymore. Even in a restaurant I request "first available" because I really don't mind. Same way with guitars. I only hope the really good ones come from a smoke filled home and the seller discounts it to my budget.

BTW... Thanks for asking.

fred

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 04:33:36 PM »

Yeah, that must be it. Just a bunch of PC, hyper sensitive snobs. I'm feeling ever so elite. Let me go tell my asthmatic son that his smoke allergy is just him being high falutin'.

I think it's swell that the smell doesn't bother you. But I hardly think not wanting something that stinks puts anyone in the 'Let them eat cake' category.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 04:44:48 PM »

ffinke - yes thanks for your opinion, now stfu. ;) 
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 05:14:31 PM »

Time for a word from our thread...

"Smoke free home" in the sales pitch means the person is a snob and proud of it or wants to be politcally correct. It's getting to the point that it really doesn't mean anything anymore (it's overdone) but then again there are hyper-sensitive people that can't handle even the word cigarette.

fred

With all due respect aren't you overlooking a third possiblity ?:  i.e. the seller wants to sell their guitar and they want to keep the field of prospective buyers as wide as possible.  Why must it be either snobbery or pride and not simply full disclosure ?   Also, in my experience it's just about equal in terms of numbers regarding those who are hyper-sensitive anti-cigarette folks and those who smoke and are rude and belligerant with their smoking habit.   Folks at either extreme are not fun to be around.
I'm glad that cigarette smoke in a restaurant doesn't bother you.    Lucky you.  You can take the first available table.  But those who wait for a table in an area free of smoke are not necessarily snobs because of their preferance to enjoy their meal free from the stench of stale smoke.
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 05:23:31 PM »

I've been called a few things in before, but being called a snob is a new one to me.  Thanks ffinke, you know me so well. 

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 05:28:50 PM »

Wait a minute...if we are snobs (and proud of it which is kind of redundant) I'm not sure what that does to the level of snobbery already in place. Like, If I'm a snob, then where does that leave, say, Prince Charles? Would I be a sort of low class snob? Does it mean I get to start hanging out with Charles? I'm not ready for this level of social engagement.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 05:39:18 PM »

Wait a minute...if we are snobs (and proud of it which is kind of redundant) I'm not sure what that does to the level of snobbery already in place. Like, If I'm a snob, then where does that leave, say, Prince Charles? Would I be a sort of low class snob? Does it mean I get to start hanging out with Charles? I'm not ready for this level of social engagement.

holly

What, I thought your FIII was ordered filled with a thousand $100 bills?  SNOB 

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 05:58:16 PM »

As long as they aren't SMOKING....

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 05:59:55 PM »

Y'all are funny!
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 06:01:52 PM »

No, darling, as of now we are strictly 'amusing'. Funny is so very low brow.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 06:48:19 PM »

Did anyone address your question ?

Besides the potential of a guitar from a smoking household having a smoky smell, does cigarette smoke do any sort of damage to a guitar? Is the tone somehow compromised?

my answer is NO - the tone is not compromised by the smell. If it does not bother you then don't worry about it.

=====================================

Now, am I glad the ads answer the question about smoke ?  YES !
I have never smoked cigarettes
oh, ..ok....I  'experimented'  with cigarettes  (and one cigar )
but I did not inhale !!!

...ok,  ok,....I tried to inhale, but that didn't work out too well  angry
...I don't even want to  describe the cigar experience.

After my 'experimenting' I never got involved with tobacco.

All my adult life I have been VERY sensitive to tobacco smoke / smell -
It makes my eyes water,  my nose run,  my head ache ,
and constricts my throat and makes me cough and lose my voice, and makes me feel dissy.
...and it only takes the scent on someones clothes, etc to do it - there does not have to be a tobacco fire underway.
(except for that I have no problems at all with it   mad  )     

When I was young and first got involved with trying to learn to play guitar -
I was at a music shop and tried out a used Guild - it sounded good and I was hoping it could teach me to play like John Denver and his Guild so I bought it.

AFter I got home and opened the case, the tobacco smoke smell from inside the case almost made me sick.

I had not noticed the smell on the guitar at the shop - only after I got home....
and I had not even asked to look at the case.
I owned that guitar for about a year or so and never did get the smell out.

Learned a lesson from that     - guitars can't teach me to play like John Denver.

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 08:04:12 PM »

I don't want no stinky cigarette smoked up guitar in my house. I smoked for way too long and quit about 6 yrs ago. I'm truly sorry to all the people I inflicted with my stinky self.  I can't stand to go where there are smokers (though I do on occasion because I want to be social). The smell just turns my stomach and gives me a headache.  Plus when you have heart disease it's not good to be around smoke.
Now, if the guitar was previously owned by a pot smoker thats a different story. Oh the sweet smell of ganga.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 08:48:26 PM »

It would matter tremendously to me if the guitar smelled awful every time I played it.  I wouldn't buy one all smoked up.  So I think a seller including that detail in the ad is helpful.
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 09:14:24 PM »

I don't want no stinky cigarette smoked up guitar in my house. I smoked for way too long and quit about 6 yrs ago. I'm truly sorry to all the people I inflicted with my stinky self.  I can't stand to go where there are smokers (though I do on occasion because I want to be social). The smell just turns my stomach and gives me a headache.  Plus when you have heart disease it's not good to be around smoke.
Now, if the guitar was previously owned by a pot smoker thats a different story. Oh the sweet smell of ganga.

Was waiting for that one - To be truly politically correct, you should also note whether the smoker preferred menthol or regulars, or the type of cigars. Anything else smoked should be clearly noted as to whether it was for medicinal or recreational reasons. In fact, you should also note whether you heat your home with wood or coal fires, or if you burn incense in the practice of your religion -

I understand the unpleasantness of smoking - I smoked for over 20 years, and finally gave up the cigarettes just over 15 years ago. Still don't enjoy the smell of them, but I also dislike an awful lot of colognes and prefumes people use as well, and don't get me started on all those smelly things people plug into their electrical outlets to mask yet other smells. But if you are truly allergic or overly sensitive to any chemical, I hope you make sure to ask about it early on before purchasing anything used, and not expecting everyone else to disclose every life detail in a for sale ad. Its nice if they add it - but shouldn't be expected.

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 12:11:24 AM »

Anybody here in the habit of farting in their car?

flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 01:35:18 AM »

Who was it , Jeremy? That said Bob Taylor could fart into his guitars and they'd  sell like hot cakes as a special edition.
 Bearsville started it.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 02:25:44 AM »

Bob Taylor could fart into his guitars and they'd  sell like hot cakes as a special edition.

jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2009, 02:39:17 AM »

Who was it , Jeremy? That said Bob Taylor could fart into his guitars and they'd  sell like hot cakes as a special edition.

the creature

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2009, 04:17:48 AM »

Now boys, let's all play nice.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: