D10- Bone or tusq saddle

Started by 247hoopsfan, April 06, 2009, 11:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a 2002 D10.  Back then Larrivee used a bone saddle.  Now they are using Tusq.  My saddle is wearing a little under the strings.  If I switch to tusq, what change in tone can I expect?  I would not mind a little more sustain.  Would tusq achieve that?
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

I think the biggest and most consistent difference between bone and Tusq is sustain and bone in my experience always has more sustain because it is denser and harder. Also Tusq will wear grooves under the strings faster than bone. Are you having actual problems with the grooves on the current saddle?

No, the saddle is not in bad shape.  I just thought I had read that Tusq would give a little brighter sound with more sustain.  I also have a Yamaha LL500 that has Tusq (or maybe it is just plastic) saddle.  That guitar has unbelievable sustain.  Maybe it is just due to different top bracing.  It is the same quality EIR/Sitka as my D10.

I'm not that unhappy with the sound of my D10.  It is dark, rich, full and complex.  The Yamaha, if anything, feels a little lighter build, which may account for some of the difference in sustain.
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

After 11 years of Tusq, I was getting a refret and some stuff done to my Taylor 414kce (Koa/Sitka Grand Auditorium), and I decided to have them install a bone nut and saddle.  When she came back, I thought she sounded a bit weird.  So, I put on the strings that I like, let them settle in and allowed some time for my ear to reconnect with her after a month apart.  The sound still just seemed muted or muffled or something.  So, I would play harder and it was like it was hitting the ceiling.  It just compressed and sounded really crappy.  I figured something had gone horribly wrong - maybe a broken brace or something - but nothing was rattling.  I was really distressed about the whole thing and after calling Taylor, I decided to drop in an extra Tusq saddle that I had sitting around and, just like that,  my guitar was back.  It's probably just my personal taste, but I really think there was something wrong with that piece of bone.  Maybe the cow or ox or whatever it was had osteoperosis or something, 'cause if that's what bone is supposed to sound like, I can't imagine why everybody raves about it so much.

Now, I know that ridiculous long story doesn't help you at all, but here's my advice.  Grab a Tusq nut and drop it in there.  You may love it... or hate it.  Worst case, you're out a few bucks and a couple of hours of your life.  Anyhow, aside from sanding it down to the proper height, it's a lot of fun tinkering.

Quote from: D. Dubya on April 10, 2009, 11:05:19 AM
Maybe the cow or ox or whatever it was had osteoperosis or something, 'cause if that's what bone is supposed to sound like, I can't imagine why everybody raves about it so much.

Now, I know that ridiculous long story doesn't help you at all, but here's my advice.  Grab a Tusq nut and drop it in there.  You may love it... or hate it.  Worst case, you're out a few bucks and a couple of hours of your life.  Anyhow, aside from sanding it down to the proper height, it's a lot of fun tinkering.
There are bad bones. I always use bone but have run across a couple that wouldn't work with undersaddle pick ups. Experts including BC couldn't see anything wrong but new bone fixed it.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.