What are the last five Cds/LPs that you listened to?

Started by pennerblue, April 02, 2009, 08:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just got Eliane Elias's new "Bossa Nova Sories" which I rate excellent. Also, got Jackson Browne's "Acoustic Solo Vol 1."  which is a solid release as well.

While I was at B&N I also ordered Bob Brozman's "Post-Industrial Blues" which should be in within the next couple days.....
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Boy , we have a lot of different musical tastes dont we?

In my car right now.
John Mayer , room for squares
America,here and now(their latest)
Raul Midon(first release)
The Eagles(latest release, cant remember the name)
Jason Mraz, his latest.

Last month for my B-day I got some gift cards for the cd store. This is what I picked up and have in my car.

Ryan Adams - Gold
Lucinda Williams - Little Honey -  man o man gooood stuff..
Alela Diane - Dry Grass and Shadows - This one grows on you.
Xaviar Rudd - White Moth
Townes Van Zandt - Rear view mirror
2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!

Donovan...Cosmic Wheels
Savoy Brown...Looking In
Dave Mason...Alone Together
Miles of Aisles..Joni Mitchell
Spirit...12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus

In the mood for rock and guitar twang this week. Going through the collection E thru M:

p.j. Harvey  "To Bring You My Love" 
k.d.lang  "Absolute Torch and Twang"
Phil Manzanera:  "Diamond Head"
Lamb "Fear of Fours"
The Kinks  "Arthur" (just didn't sound as good as I remembered it to be)
If it sounds good, it is good.

Skip James - "Heros's of the Blues - Skip James"
Bob Halperin - "All Kinds of Blues"
Doc Watson- "Songs from Home"
Taj Mahel- "Giants Steps"
Dave Van Ronk - "Both Sides of DVR"

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

Quote from: Walkerman on April 23, 2009, 06:06:22 PM

Spirit...12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus
"you've got the world at your fingertips, no one can make it better than you" WAKE UP!
By seeing what we listen to, makes me think we all  have more in common than I sometimes might have thought.
The words to, what's the name? nothing to hide? Were ones that helped a meandering boy to get focused in life.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

after reading through this thread, I must pull out my collection of Taj Mahal CDs which I haven't heard for quite some time now.
I have been listening to three Adrian Legg CDs. Not well known here in the states, I know, but I thought our Canadian and UK brethren would discuss him here from time to time. The barefooted pedal-happy acoustic player lives in London.

Quote from: flatlander on April 24, 2009, 08:37:49 AM
"you've got the world at your fingertips, no one can make it better than you" WAKE UP!
By seeing what we listen to, makes me think we all  have more in common than I sometimes might have thought.
The words to, what's the name? nothing to hide? Were ones that helped a meandering boy to get focused in life.

I assume we are all posting here because of commonalities and not differences.  That doesn't mean we don't have differences, but it does mean our commonalities are important enough to each of us to cause us to spend a goodly amount of time posting here.  Just as a bunch of us could sit down and have a pretty rancorous debate on politics, so could we all sit down with our guitars and make some wonderful music.

Quote from: Walkerman on April 24, 2009, 08:55:14 AM
I assume we are all posting here because of commonalities and not differences.  That doesn't mean we don't have differences, but it does mean our commonalities are important enough to each of us to cause us to spend a goodly amount of time posting here.  Just as a bunch of us could sit down and have a pretty rancorous debate on politics, so could we all sit down with our guitars and make some wonderful music.

Thumbs up to that!

I mean, at the end of the day, who cares if it was a flute or an old whistle.  :winkin:

Quote from: Queequeg on April 24, 2009, 08:43:34 AM

I have been listening to three Adrian Legg CDs. Not well known here in the states, I know, but I thought our Canadian and UK brethren would discuss him here from time to time. The barefooted pedal-happy acoustic player lives in London.

Here's my new last 5 CDs Listened to (last two days):

Flaming Lips - Transmissions from the Satellite Heart
Adrian Legg - Mrs. Crowes's Blue Waltz
Black Crowes - By Your Side
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
John Lee Hooker - Sings Blues
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Andy Narell - Hidden Treasure featuring excellent guitar work by Steve Erquiaga.
Listen - Featuring Mel Martin and Andy Narell and great drum work by George Marsh. One guitar solo by Dave Creamer.
100 years of Jazz guitar box set discs 1 & 2
Wes Montgomery - Far Wes
Acoustic Disc's Handmade music Vol. 5

also a lot of Martin Taylor on you tube.

John Doe & The Sadies
Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit
The Flatlanders (newest CD)
Tom Russell Anthology
Mark Olson - Salvation Blues

Yes - Close to the Edge
Pink Floyd - Animals
Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything To Nothing
The Shins - Wincing The Night Away
Bohren & Der Club of Gore - Dolores
How do you make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans.

Quote from: Dotneck on April 08, 2009, 06:28:04 PM
While I was at B&N I also ordered Bob Brozman's "Post-Industrial Blues" which should be in within the next couple days.....

I heard a couple of tracks off that one yesterday on the radio, gotta get that one myself.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.

The icing on the cake for me, with Brozman, is that while being a virtuoso, he can sound so genuine and rootsey. He can transport you to another time and place. Kinda like Norman Blake as far as that. With both you can get the feeling on some stuff that you're back in the 1930's.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Mona Bon Jakon - Cat Stevens (I just love Katmandu)
Dianne Krall live in Paris.
Joshua Bell - Romance of the violin.
Yes - Big Generator.
Heavier things - John Mayer.
Oh and AC/DC's Shook me all night long thanks to Fongie  :thumb
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

The Who "Live at Leeds"  I actually only heard this for the first time. The whole concert is now on CD. Stunning. Can't get enough of Pete's guitar.

Robert Wyatt "Soupsongs"  Live performance of Wyatt's songs by a great collection of musicians.

Hanne Hukkelberg "Blood From a Stone"  New album just got a good review in the NYTimes. I think it's nice, I like it.

Jimi Hendrix Experience.
You know, the one with Purple Haze, Fire and Hey Joe.

Angela Hewitt  "Ravel: Complete Piano Works"   Hewitt is one of the very best.

Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall

Peter Mulvey - Notes from Elsewhere

Jeffrey Foucault - Stripping Cane

Roy Bookbinder - Live from Fur Peace Ranch

Jorma Kaukonen - River of Time

Piers Faccini - Two grains of sand
Craig D'Andrea - Getting used to isolation
Peter Ciluzzi - Music withou words
Lenny Breau - The best of
Bill Callahan - Sometimes I wish we were an eagle