Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grover Sta-Tite open back tuners for my OM-03R  (Read 5137 times)
dermot

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 09:35:48 AM »

The chrome ones look nice on the silver bordered OM-19. I'm thinking the gold ones may be a nice option for my new F-III. I like the gold against the hog and the ebony.

danny

The gold Staytite's look great against the 03's headstock.... that would be my choice as well!

Or the Gotoh's in gold...

Or Delta's in black....

;-)))

d.

PS; i had the Staytites in the house before i even saw the OM19, they were going to be on my old D18, as the earlier owner had replaced the stock Grover G98's with those huge 60's Schaller's.... and after getting my '49 000-18 with the stock G98's i see why they were long gone from the D18... the G98's suck on a working musician's tool... So the OM19 has the Staytites, and the D18 still has the boat anchor Schaller's.. someday i'll get around to replaceing them... someday .....

BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 03:46:55 PM »

Had the chrome open-back Grovers on my Epi AJ-500. They not only looked nice (a nice vintage look), but stayed in tune really well. They were Sta-Tites with an 18:1 ratio. They're not direct drop ins & might be just a little too big for the F-III's. Have 2 holes, but look sharp & stay in tune. Forever! I might not plat thay git for a week, pick it up, & it was still in perfect tune. Then again, my Schallers work about the same , if not better. The Gotoh's are actually a little more for the mini's in the Stew-Mac cat.. Look like the 510's mighy be a direct drop-in, but can't tell untill you check the bushing size. They're normally the same size, unless stated other wise. The Gotoh mini 510's are around $60-70, the locking about$80-90 (also 18:1). Hard choice. I have to do some thinking also about my F-III. Probably stay with the Pings. Never has a problem with them before.
Jeff   

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 11:00:40 AM »

So am I correct in my assumption that if I order these Sta-tites for my OM or my new Forum III  I will need to install new bushings and drill new mounting holes ?   Are the correct bushings included automatically with the new tuners ? 

Hey Tuffy!
Regarding the query you and I had about the bushings, I found these specs on the Stew-Mac site. The way I understand it, the bushings specified here are supplied standard with the machines. Hope it helps...

[attachment deleted by admin]

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 03:00:42 PM »

Hey Tuffy!
Regarding the query you and I had about the bushings, I found these specs on the Stew-Mac site. The way I understand it, the bushings specified here are supplied standard with the machines. Hope it helps...

Now I just need to verify what the Pings and mini Pings require with respect to hole diameter.   My concern is that they may use a hole that is larger than the 8.74mm size that the Sta-tites require.  If the hole is too small it can be enlarged but if it's too small then different conversion bushing would be needed.  Or the unpleasant alternative:   fill in the holes and re-drill for the new tuners.
It looks like Dermot mentioned that conversion bushings were needed.
How about it Dermot ?    Were the bushings that were supplied with the Sta-tites adequate without any further modification ? (except, of course, new screw holes)
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 08:13:45 PM »

FWIW the bushings that came with my slothead tuners were for a peghead hole of a smaller diameter. I had to order a second pair of bushings that fit snug.

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 06:17:21 AM »

Now I just need to verify what the Pings and mini Pings require with respect to hole diameter.   My concern is that they may use a hole that is larger than the 8.74mm size that the Sta-tites require.  If the hole is too small it can be enlarged but if it's too small then different conversion bushing would be needed.  Or the unpleasant alternative:   fill in the holes and re-drill for the new tuners.
It looks like Dermot mentioned that conversion bushings were needed.
How about it Dermot ?    Were the bushings that were supplied with the Sta-tites adequate without any further modification ? (except, of course, new screw holes)
This week-end is "replace-them-strings" weekend for all my axes. I'll see what I can measure on my L's bushings and let you know - I noticed you mentioned millimeters in stead of inches, and that's surprising (in a good way) to me, cause the inches-thing isn't featured on my vernier calipers or in my frame of reference for that matter.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: