Luthier

Started by aarra, April 02, 2009, 10:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm just throwing out my tale for what it is worth.  Not all luthiers are created equal.  I had some work done on my OM-05 (will post photos as soon as I take some) and wanted the pickguard removed.  The "luthier" I was using (in New Jersey) and to whom I had already paid a lot of money took a look at the pickguard and said it was on really tight and he would not attempt to remove it for fear of destroyng the instrument.  I do appreciate that.  I took it to a real luthier (builds all sorts of stringed instruments) and using a fingernail on his right hand, he had it off in less than 2 minutes.  No muss, no fuss, no blowdryer.  I guess the moral is, not every guitar repairman is a luthier.

That's why I'm pretty picky about who works on my guitars... but I'd much rather have them be too cautious than think they're capable of more than they are. 
1971 Martin D-28
Larrivee LS-03 Forum III

Not all repairperson's should be builders,I'm not a builder.That said not all builders can do repair.Its a very different mindset.Builders construct,I deconstruct.Its alway's important to know your limits.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: aarra on April 02, 2009, 10:09:34 AM
I'm just throwing out my tale for what it is worth.  Not all luthiers are created equal.  I had some work done on my OM-05 (will post photos as soon as I take some) and wanted the pickguard removed.  The "luthier" I was using (in New Jersey) and to whom I had already paid a lot of money took a look at the pickguard and said it was on really tight and he would not attempt to remove it for fear of destroyng the instrument.  I do appreciate that.  I took it to a real luthier (builds all sorts of stringed instruments) and using a fingernail on his right hand, he had it off in less than 2 minutes.  No muss, no fuss, no blowdryer.  I guess the moral is, not every guitar repairman is a luthier.
It's always possible that the first opinion was right, and the second guy was just lucky... if part of the top finish had come off with the pickguard, your post would have been quite a bit different.  Glad it worked out though

Uncle Rob wrote: "Not all repairperson's should be builders,I'm not a builder.That said not all builders can do repair.Its a very different mindset.Builders construct,I deconstruct.Its alway's important to know your limits."

Amen to that! I really believe that repairing is in fact much more difficult than new builds. The repair man should strive to go unnoticed and that is WAYYYYYYYYYY harder than starting from scratch. I asked my friend J.R. why he doesn't build new instruments anymore.

He said with all the reapair work he has, it doesn't leave much time for anything else when combined with his playing schedule. He also said he likes the challenge of repair more than new builds. He said knows how to build a new one, but sometimes a guitar comes in for repair and he has NO IDEA how to approach it at first. The challenge comes in figuring out how to reapair the various instruments leaving as little trace of him being there as possible.

Also, in our area, he can make more cash for his time repairing instruments than he can building because most folks in the area purchase based on headstock names rather than the sound of the instrument.

Quote from: pfl on April 02, 2009, 03:03:22 PM
That's why I'm pretty picky about who works on my guitars... but I'd much rather have them be too cautious than think they're capable of more than they are. 

What he said. I've had all my guards removed and to get them off the Satin finish my guys make a template that goes around the PG, then spend about 30 minutes with a heat gun. Maybe that's over the top, but it's flawless everytime. It may also vary from guitar to guitar. I know my S.O. was a PIA because the PG had been on a year or more.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

GA I think its harder to be a builder,you put your heart and soul into creating something so personal and then you have to sell it to feed your family.

Holly I'm old and stupid what does PIA stand for.If its really rude PM the answer.Thanks.

Duck you know the rule's no religious comments. :humour:
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I think it's the same as PITA, aka Pain in the A$$.
2008 Larrivée L-03SO (Grevillea Robusta)
2008 Art & Lutherie Ami Almond
2000 Larrivée OM-02

Thanks. :thumb
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Absolutely true.  If the results were different, I would have been miserable.  However, after speaking to the luthier who took the pickguard off and touring his shop I was confident that he would be able to repair any damage done.  I felt very comfortable letting him handle the instrument and apparently so does Springsteen and Dylan.  I'm going back to him today to have him round off the nut.  I don't know if anyone else has the problem, but it stabs into my index finger.  I was going to have him replace it but he suggested rounding it off.  Cheaper and easier.

Sounds like you got a good one there (luthier, not the nut maybe)

Sharp objects of all kinds on my guitars annoy me (string ends etc), so rounding it off sounds like a good idea

Dave

Luthier rounded off the nut for me and polished it up.  Smooth as can be.  I wouldn't go anywhere else with my stringed instruments.  I had replaced the tuner buttons with bloodwood and was planning on replacing the pickguard that he had removed with bloodwood to match.  Decided I like the looks and sound without the pickguard so luthier suggested he would make bloodwood pins to carry out the theme.  Once he gets those done I will post photos.

Quote from: aarra on April 02, 2009, 10:09:34 AM
The "luthier" I was using (in New Jersey)

You needent say more.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"