Unfriendly Fables: Or why the forum upsets me to the point of unsubscribing

Started by GA-ME, April 01, 2009, 11:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not that I actually expect anyone to "still" be reading my post here,after all that has come before...but...

I used to be a member of an audiophile website.SHEEESH!!!!...Trust me!....You don't know the meaning of nasty attitudes,especially if you found an older component to outperform a pricey, popular  new one,and stated it.I'm talking about personal E-mails and insults galore!I'm SOOOO happy to not be into that anymore. :smile:

I DO agree with Holly,or anyone for that matter,about kindness!!

It makes me feel good to "go" that route,but the world is filled with not so nice people,and when we come into contact with truly nice folks,it is a pleasure to communicate with them....."They" may be getting kinda' rare in  these days of high stress.One reason I find being into a forum like this(laid back to me)and involving oneself in an instrument/music making to be so enjoyable....I honestly think it keeps one younger,for a longer time!!

I have a standing kind of joke I tell my friends...Sadly I REALLY believe this to be a truism......Here goes.....

There are basically TWO times in a year when "almost" everyone really tries to be nice,and it seems really obvious-----#1 Christmas,and the Holiday season.God I love that time of year,regardless of Religious affiliation.I'm not a Christian,but LOVE Christmas time,AND everything about it....AND.... I feel the spirit as much as anyone.Wrong?I think not!

#2 Your "Vacation"!!   Let's say you have the family at Disney World.It's just great...You have been waiting on line to go onto one of the rides,but you've accidently cut in front of another  happy family...."Usually" the response is    NO PROBLEM....."Just go ahead",'cause we are so happy to be off the spinning world for a few days......

Two weeks later,back home, "you" accidently cut the guy off in your car while driving to work...."It's total road rage"!!

Just my two cents

So, whats it gonna be GA-ME ? Still sticking around?

Go on, you know you want to ! Look at all the fun you'd miss out on..... :cheers

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.

Communication is a tricky undertaking.  On this forum, which for the most part I believe the atmosphere is very civil, occasionally someone will type something which might on the surface appear derogatory to some people.  For instance, if I have had some more personal correspondence with a particular member, with that familiarity come some implied liberties to say something in a sort of teasing way with no malicious intent, but everyone else isn't aware of the history between the individuals involved and might misinterpret things.  Other times certain posts are baiting others.  The tone is condescending, and it's usually, but not always, very obvious.  I think it's helpful for the sake of peace and goodwill, not to take things too personally; sometimes it's best to ignore and not respond to the bait.  Often it's when someone expresses how hurt or insulted they are that fuels the instigator to continue with divisive belittling.  I would hope that GA-ME will decide to hang around.  I always enjoy his thought provoking opinions. 

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Quote from: magictwanger on April 02, 2009, 05:59:44 PM

There are basically TWO times in a year when "almost" everyone really tries to be nice,and it seems really obvious-----#1 Christmas,and the Holiday season.

#2 Your "Vacation"!!  

That's funny. I HATE the Christmas season...too much stress...working too many hours...and spending too much money on stuff that doesn't matter. I prefer Thanksgiving...getting together with people you love to share a feast...and then fall asleep on the couch.

Now I agree a vacation is a good time....in fact I just got back from vacation yesterday. After getting stuck on the tarmac and missing my connection...I got home at 8:45 am....enough time to shower, change clothes and get to work by 10am. Walked in the door and the phone was ringing...traveling isn't always fun...but the vacation was GREAT!
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Just responding to the OP - you bring a good point, but I think the LGF is BY FAR the most accepting of other ideas and divergent opinion.  Just sneeze in the wrong direction of Taylor on the AGF, and you draw extra attention from the mods and the members will discount your point of view. 

I would hang around - there is a contrant stream of good folks here who just love good sounding, decent priced guitars that are not marketed like Starbucks or sold through the hubris of tradition.  So what if some do not understand the academic distinctions between a good mass-produced guitar (Larrivee), an excellent small factory (SCGC), and the master luthier (Omega/Kevin Gallagher)?  Still the most rational and MUSIC-loving folks of any guitar forum.

Quote from: Yoyodyne on April 02, 2009, 01:01:35 PM
You know, one day, my mother, she put me on her knee and she said to me, "Gaston, my son, the world is a beautiful place. You must go into it and... love everyone, try to make everyone happy, and bring peace and contentment everywhere you go." And so, I became a waiter.

Well, it's...it's not much of a philosophy, I know... but, well... **** you. I can live my own life in my own way if I want to. **** off!

Extra points for Monty Python reference.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Quote from: strawintogold on April 02, 2009, 01:08:36 PM
Surely you aren't suggesting Larrivee isn't anything other than a White Robed Noble Steed Riding Entity that would never sully it's hands with filthy lucre?!?

Heaven forbid, because a company that unsullied, shoot, the guitars would turn to ash in my hand. You know, after the divine bolt from above.

holly

May I point out as nicely and sweetly as possible, that my sarcasm was bad and warranted the accusation that what I say is "blather"?

blather - 6 results
blath⋅er   /ˈblæðər/  Show Spelled Pronunciation [blath-er]  Show IPA
–noun 1. foolish, voluble talk: His speech was full of the most amazing blather. 

–verb (used without object), verb (used with object) 2. to talk or utter foolishly; blither; babble: The poor thing blathered for hours about the intricacies of his psyche. 

Yours is all sweetness and light aparently. Carry on.

And ... actually, on second thought, in my experience (and who's else could I refer to?) "a White Robed Noble Steed Riding Entity that would never sully it's hands with filthy lucre" is pretty damn close to the truth.   

We do hold on, don't we? FCOL, I apologised, I sent you a freakin' PM apologising.  Thats like me being snarky with you and going "Well, there was this one time when you...blah, blah..." Two wrongs, all that good stuff. One can't go merrily along being nasty and justifying much of anything because one time this one person said this one thing....

or I suppose you could, but it really serves no one. Or I could go on and on about your follow up commentary that was beyond the pale. What you said wasn't nice. The Fable post wasn't nice. We all say things that aren't nice but most of us STOP that behavior when confronted and asked to stop. That, is what is happening here.

Whether you agree ot not is in your hands. it's like someone mentioned, we can ignore things or try and remedy them by being direct and asking for cooperation. You are simply being asked, directly, to play nicely.

You do understand, I hope, that not everything I say is directed at you, in this case, it was in reference to another post entirely. You can make everything I post about you, but I assure you it isn't. I  take great pains to avoid posting on any topic that you post because I understand you view evertyhing as confrontational. But, in this case, you were being unkind, and I spoke up. Simple as that.

Not interesting in rehashing anything, or continuing in a negative tone. If anyone else was doing something I percieved as bullying I would have spoken up as well. It's nothing personal. I should have said somehting earlier and the only reason i didn't is clear in your posts above. But, it's not like me to avoid speaking up because I just don't want to get another go round with someone who continues to view everything I say as hostile.

It might be more helpful to focus on the intent on this thread and what is being said here than some arguement that took place months ago. That's what I plan on doing, anyway.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: LaminateBoy on April 03, 2009, 09:31:49 AM
Extra points for Monty Python reference.

:thumb
2008 Larrivée L-03SO (Grevillea Robusta)
2008 Art & Lutherie Ami Almond
2000 Larrivée OM-02