Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 000-28EC, what do you think???  (Read 7365 times)
mazareth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 02:26:32 PM »

I played one Dave's Guitar in La Crosse. I liked it.

I hate aging toner with the power of 10,000 suns! Really! I truly don't get the concept. It seems to me that the tops darken up soon enough on their own...

Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 03:34:34 PM »

I played another 000-28EC and it was nice, but I honestly didn't feel it was any better than what I had. Of course the Sunburst on this one was nice though. I have bought a few gits from this dealer and could have got a nice price on it but it would be twice what my OM-21 is worth and I can't see that being worth it.
   I also played a 000 Norman Blake, it was a sweet little git, but about the same thoughts as above were my conclusion.

Danny

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 04:56:51 PM »

This is either the fifth or sixth EC signature model that Martin has created and they have done at least two versions of both the Norman Blake and the John Mayer signature models. I can't imagine they would keep designing them if people weren't buying them.

This leaves me wondering how many people (like me) were drawn to a less expensive OM model because of the EC signature model. I bought an OM 35 and could choose between two OM-35, one OM-21 Special and two OM-21 models as well as three 15 series (00, 000 and 000 slotted headstock). The cost difference between an EC signature model and an OM-21 would leave enough money to purchase at least one 00 or 000 15 models or one of the ones referenced in the next paragraph.

Martin just rolled out their new one series in both a D and OM series with the option of cutaway and electronics. A choice of four different solid wood guitar models (sapele and spruce) that come in under under $1,000 (with the discount factored in.) I should warn you: there is a spirited debate going on about the neck on these new models over at the Martin Forum.

With the growing success of the Forum models, how far is Larrivee from producing a "Tuffy" signature model with a winged Pug inlaid into the head stock, paw print position markers made of Mother of Pearl inlaid into the fretboard and a nut and saddle made out of (milk) bone?

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 12:31:33 AM »

I just played two of them the other day.  I wanted to like the model much more than I did.  It was tight.  I didn't feel like "ahh, that's an improvement over what I have."   I wouldn't drop my dollars on the two models I played. 
Stratokatsu

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 03:26:28 PM »

As much as I like Clapton, I have really tried to like the Martin 000-28EC, but honestly, I've played probably 10 over the years and only found one that impressed me.

Not that the difference in money is part of my opinion, but I think I'd prefer a Larrivee OM instead, having "discovered" the Larrivee line in the past year. I find the tone superior in some regards and more versatile. What I would REALLY love is a Larrivee OM made of silver oak like the dread I just got. What would come from an OM made of the same SO would be a spectacular guitar.

Larrivee L03SP, (all sapele)
Taylor 110
Martin DSM
Silver Creek T-160
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 12:30:19 AM »

I am a huge clapton fan...

I played a 000-28ec about 2 days ago at a local shop... they are asking over $5K for it........ :crazy: I really don't care what people say about there consistency because I believe 000-28ec is one of the most consistent guitars I've played..  these things are so sweet, I'd take 000-28ec over any guitar(that includes my gibsons and even F3....) any day..

Edit: Maybe I'll take saying "that includes my gibsons and F3"...

Jeffrey

BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 12:53:54 AM »

Played a Clapton model @ Sam Ash last fall & wasn't that impressed with it. Didn't like the 'V' neck or the price, & this one was reduced to $3400 becuase it wouldn't sell. The sales people loved it (of course), but I have tried 2 others & just didn't get any juices flowing. To each his own. I could think of better sounding & playing guitars for around $5000. Try a David Flammang. I owned 2 of his first OM's, 1 HOG & 1 RW. The HOG ruled & I wish I never parted with it! Plus others out there. Martin has a hold on some people, not saying this is the case with here. Just from experience. There are great Martin's out there, but not all!
     Jeff   

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2009, 05:57:43 PM »

As much as I like Clapton, I have really tried to like the Martin 000-28EC, but honestly, I've played probably 10 over the years and only found one that impressed me.
Same here.  I've never understood what all the fuss was about.  It very well may be that, since all the ones I've played have been in Guitar Center stores, that they weren't taken very good care of, but they all seemed very shallow and dry-soudning to me.  I like that little 000 plywood model that Martin makes much better (000X or something like that).  I've tried those up against the Clapton model and they always sound better to me. 
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2009, 03:43:43 AM »

I had a '02 OM-21 that I regret selling very much.  It was one of the sweetest sounding guitars I have ever had.  My wife said the same thing to me when I put it up for sale, and she was right on with her comments, I miss it very much.

It had a much better tone than the EC model IMHO.
   Steve where are you? Are things going OK? Don't stay away too long. You know riding a big bike can scare you once in awhile, having ridden all over the great plains solo I can testify to that. And trying to be who you really are on a forum is a bit overwhelming sometimes.
    But steel toe shoes help me out in both situations. Keep ridin and post something once in a blue moon.
                              and "Happy new year" 

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2009, 07:20:09 AM »

The Clapton Unplugged show is some of the nicest sounding acoustic guitar tone according to my bluesy tastes.

+1 I just love the tone of the guitars he used on that unplugged MTV show, shot in Windsor, England in January 16, 1992. The album went on to become the bestselling Unplugged album in the U.S., with sales of 10 million.

I read up on the guitars he used then, and it apears he used a 1939 000-42 for "most of the show" and a "vintage" 000-28. The 000-28 was modified by historian/inlay-artist Mike Longworth with a style 45 fingerboard, headstock, and top pearl. The source doesn't mention which guitars he used respectively on the different tracks.
The Eric Clapton signature model 000-28EC was created in 1996, as a result of the hugely popular recording.
Sources: http://www.wolfmarshall.com/hl_clapton2.htm
http://www.ericclaptonunplugged.com/

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2009, 07:55:08 AM »

Love the guitar, hate the V-neck.  Sounds incredible, won't get one due to the neck.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2009, 03:44:17 PM »

I've played three of them. I played one in a G.C. that they had left to dry out so severely that the center seam split from bridge to end block and had a large crack on the back as well. Both, of which, were repaired very poorly. I played the other two at two local guitar stores. The funny thing is the F'upped one at the GC SOUNDED fan-freaking-tastic. It was very, very, light and responsive and quite frankly one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played. The other two were just ho-hum with one of them being quite dead and  it had new strings for the holiday rush. I guess it just goes to show that, with spec built guitars, it is especially important to test drive them, irrespective of which name is on the headstock! Now, at another local guitar store, they have a Martin which has me in a G.A.S. frenzy which is eating at me and my self control to the MAX! They have a 000-18 GE 1937 model that is tearing and clawing at me brain in the worst kind of way. It is one of THOSE guitars! It is "THE ONE" that rolled off the assembly line in that batch for sure! Unfortunatey, unless I hit the lottery, which I don't play, it ain't happeneing
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2009, 06:05:36 PM »

The 000-28 EC is great! If you get a good one... that's somewhat a problem with Martin, but the only one I played was new -  somewhat  tight sounding, but very promising. I Love the v-neck (biggish hands) and the the short scale was pleasant.

I auditioned it with as 0M-28 Marquis that was used and opened up - Really nice! I expect the 000-28EC to sound similar, allowing for the differences in scale and top wood.

In the end I chose my L-09 over them because of an even richer tone and greater versatility. But I don't forget playing the EC. I would love to own it too.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
NAFIGATOR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2009, 04:09:35 AM »

I played a few of EC models. They are great guitars, step above regular OM-28. What get's me (don't laugh!) is Clapton's signature inlaid on the fret board. I know it's stupid, but still. It's MY GUITAR and I write my own songs (no comparison to Clapton, of course, but still..)

If that does not bother you, it's a great guitar. If it does, check out 000-28GE

Is there a life beyond the third fret?!
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2009, 01:22:50 AM »

I played a few of EC models. They are great guitars, step above regular OM-28. What get's me (don't laugh!) is Clapton's signature inlaid on the fret board. I know it's stupid, but still. It's MY GUITAR and I write my own songs (no comparison to Clapton, of course, but still..)

If that does not bother you, it's a great guitar. If it does, check out 000-28GE

I know, I hate the signature too.  I've decided that if I'm going to buy an expensive Martin OM I might as well skip the -28 and get an OM-35.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
larwill

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 10:53:49 PM »

Just played one at the local GC and I was aghast to find the guitar had headstock wings! Sorry but at that price point I want a one piece mahogany neck even if I can't hear the difference.
brazil66

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2010, 01:41:41 AM »

I had one for several years...it was my first Martin. Great guitar, but I don't really miss it, now , after trading it.
But now here's a funny thing, after reading the book Clapton....I was personally so turned off to the guy, I just didn't want his signature on my guitar, or anything else Clapton for that matter. So I traded it.

I think it's a generally good /middle of the road instrument. Not exceptional.

I much prefer the 12 fret slotheaded 000-28VS, in comparison.

Michael

www.rakeandsplay.com

00-03 Special Edition
Safricanplayer

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 07:46:45 AM »

I acquired an OM-21 Special a few weeks ago, and I've yet to play a Clapton that holds a candle to it

Just my 2 cents...

~ Ray ~

Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Eichelbaum OM ~ Euro Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Larrivee Forum III ~ All Hog
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: