More Forum III Guitars Available

Started by lyric_girl, March 25, 2009, 05:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norman, which one are you enabling me on? Always wanted an SD-50, just couldn't afford it. But the Baden seems to fill what I'm looking for: smaller body, Euro (maybe IS,who knows?), & RW. It's deeper than the LS, but has a bigger lower bout also. It's not 12 to the body, but it's a beauty. Have to ask Jim about them & the sound. Sounds like you're familiar with them. What do they sound like? You also seem to know about the SD-50. Don't you have one? Are you telling me to go for the Baden? Remember, I don't finger pick, so I need something that will sound good when strummed, not too heavily. I don't beat guitars. The only thing about the SD-50 is the condition. I take care of my guitars so anally it's almost obsessive. I put a cloth on the upper bout where my arm comes in contact so I don't leave any sweat marks. Every case has a cloth for that & a smaller one to wipe down the neck & strings when I'm done. I obsess alot & am a creature of habbit. Does that make me bad? :humour:
Please let me know about your bottom line opinions. I treasure them! :thumb
Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Also Norman, $ is tight, so I'm hoping for a direct trade for the Baden or on the SD, putting the rest on my balance for my F-III. I'm selling so much stuff; Dave's (ncognito) girlfiend wants my camera & the 3 high-end watches also are looking good to be sold. I'm going on-line & pricing out my coin collection later for more $, just sits there anyway. I THINK I'd get more pleasure out of a guitar than those. Who knows, by the weekend I might be able to pay off the F-III, trade the OM, & end up getting both of the gits I mentioned from Jim. My wife would be so thrilled! :humour:

Norman, I stopped @ George Youngbloods shop, while the guitar selling end is run by "acousticmusic.org" (Brian Wolf). Played 2 Baden "A" series & was blown away! Both had Euro tops with RW bodies. Simple ,yet great playing & sounding. Now I just have to convince Jim to deal with me. Give him a call also, will you?, & ask him to treat me kindly! :humour:
Talk later.

Jeff,

I've been out of the house all day. But yes, given your criteria the Baden should really be considered. Especially now that you have played one and like it, and since you prefer unblemished guitars for your collection, the new old stock Baden (in your choice of woods) is almost a no-brainer.

I only know either of these guitars based on advertising and comments on this forum. The SD-50 could take heavy strumming but I hear is is also very good for finger style aided by the wide nut spacing. Some folks adapt to the wider neck easily, others find it difficult. It would be good if you could also find one of those to play. Since I play my wife's classical I know it wouldn't be a problem for me.

As to influencing Jim, I know you were joking. There is no sway on my part. But I do trust his character and motivation so I believe your dealings with him will be positive.

Now if I could just get someone to buy me that used SD-50.  :whistling:  My own stab at wish it were true humor.
I know ... you buy it too and then sell it to me when I get another job?

Whatever you decide, or if you have more questions, you might want to start another thread to update us, so as not to highjack this one.

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

I played the used SD-50 @ Trinity Guitars last Wednesday night and I am amazed that no one has pounced on it yet. This is an exceptional value for the money and the buyer won't cry (as much) when they put the second ding in it. Whenever I get GAS pains, I just pull out my current guitars and count my blessings.

Ironically, I was in Tennessee over the weekend and since Cider Mill Music in Clinton was closed by the time I got there, the only guitar store I made it into was a Guitar Center. I went to their high end room and saw a number of high priced and shop worn new guitars including several Taylors, Gibsons and Martins with various scratches, gouges and nicks. At the same time, the "sale" price for these guitars was higher than I would have paid from other dealers. I did walk out with a music stand that was 60% off but what can you do to one of those? Overall, the experience reinforced my commitment to saving my big ticket guitar purchases to independent dealers.

I do have to confess that the nicest sounding guitar I played @ Trinity last week was the bent top classical that Jim built with the additional sound hole on the upper bout and on the stock front, the L-09QM 12 string was outstanding too.

Norman,spoke to Jim earlier & he said the trade would be doable. I just have to send him pics of my OM, of course, & he is holding the Baden for me. He said he was really surprised @ what a difference there was between the Sitka & Euro spruce, the Euro sounding so much better. Like you said before, I've had comments made about playing the way i do, from "how do you do that" to "why didn't you ever learn the right way"? I guess this is the right way for me. Now I have to get the lighting just right on my digital camera. I'll try some of your ideas. I never  tried putting a piece of tape over the flash to lessen or diffuse it. Jim will get some nice picks now, but it's harder to photo a gloss finish than satin. You have to play one of these guitars, especially the "A" series. No flash, simple rosette, no dots on the fingerboard, & a gorgeous sound. Now I can't forget to have Jim puts neck dots on the opposite side!
   If I have the xtra $, I'll pick up the SD-50 & hold it for you. I had a '47 Epi Zenith Archtop that was in real good shape, but still had a few dings. Adds character, especially to something that old. I've had other used gits that had dings & lived with it, but they didn't get more after i owned them!
   I'm not kidding about the SD. If I get it & I'm not glued to it (still dig the slot-head, s.b. finish, 12 to the body, volute,etc.), I'll sell it to you when you're ready. Or I'm ready. Whichever comes first!
   Good thing come in threes: my F-III, the Baden, & the SD (?). Cross your fingers.

OK Norman, my behind is still smarting from that tactful spanking about the "highjacking" comment. I might have to rethink my comment about buying the SD-50 also & holding it for you! :humour:
I've just been trying, as you know, to get the last IS/RW from Jim, but I wasn't quick enough. I'll be satisfied soon & I promise I won't post on this thread unless provoked.
Why open a thread on my woes & about the fantastic Badan on a Larrivee forum? I'll hold off. :wave

Jeff.  :crying:

Let me use one of my memory's vocabulary words. In the angst of limited supply and fresh stirred demand the surplus Forum Guitars have baked up a batch of lust cookies for all of us to chew on. OK, I'd better cut out the cookie metafore before the oven gets too hot.

It helps me that all the LS-03Rs are gone. Now I don't have that temptation to deal with.

And, friend Jeff, there is an Other Guitar Makers Forum right here among us, so post away! I own an Ovation and two Takamines in addition to my Larrivees. Sometimes bang for buck yields to pop for pennies for me!

Say, I could win the lottery this week. The first five responders better get their requests into me now!  :roll

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

This was the email update I got from Jim this morning:

Lynda, I have been a busy guy. I have not been on the forum all week. I bet some folks are getting the guitar from me today. All but one of the first group is shipped or shipping today. I expect 8 more today or tomorrow and 20 will be shipped to me today. Back to the work bench!

Jim's working up a storm. Poor guy. I think he needs a vacation after this!
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: lyric_girl on April 02, 2009, 10:23:17 AM
This was the email update I got from Jim this morning:

Lynda, I have been a busy guy. I have not been on the forum all week. I bet some folks are getting the guitar from me today. All but one of the first group is shipped or shipping today. I expect 8 more today or tomorrow and 20 will be shipped to me today. Back to the work bench!

Jim's working up a storm. Poor guy. I think he needs a vacation after this!

Jim emailed me on Monday and said he expected to get my guitar this week... I received my guitar from Jim via Fedex today.  He has to be working some pretty ridiculous hours this week.
1971 Martin D-28
Larrivee LS-03 Forum III

Hey, I might get mine soon! But then again, since it's a "custom" order, they might put some extra love into it! If so, I can wait a day or so more! :humour:

Mine shipped today (from Jim)! :nana_guitar

And Tuffy's FIII caught me again, now as GOTM.  Now I have to sqinut and login so I don't see it.
Only a few more days before I see a real one...MINE.
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Jim's Update of Today:

"Got another 9 today that I was not expecting! 20 more expected next week Friday. I am keeping up and getting the set ups done before the next batch comes in. I should have all 8 that arrived Thursday complete along with the 9 from today before the 20 arrive next week. The folks at FedEx are looking forward to my daily visits with 5 or 6 guitars. I have not had time to hop on the forum to see the feedback. Maybe Sunday. Hope all is well. Feel free to post this as an update. Let folks know I am alive and well and enjoying talking to each of them when there guitar arrives. I am enjoying each guitar as I work on it. Mine is here but alas remains mostly an orphan."

I wrote Jim and asked of any of these would be cutaways as I I'm finding out as I work on fingerpicking that a 12 fret is more constrictive for me when finger picking than flat picking.. If One of those sneaks in that we know about, please mention it. Thanks.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on April 03, 2009, 06:31:51 PM
I wrote Jim and asked of any of these would be cutaways as I I'm finding out as I work on fingerpicking that a 12 fret is more constrictive for me when finger picking than flat picking.. If One of those sneaks in that we know about, please mention it. Thanks.

Matt, unfortunately there are no cutaways. Believe me, I would have grabbed one myself.

Hello everyone,

Congrats on your new Fourum III guitars.  Does anyone know if there are any left?  I tried Jim but he's obviously a bit preoccupied right now so I'm not sure if there are any officially not spoken for any longer? 

Quote from: wrightdawg on April 03, 2009, 11:03:18 PM
Hello everyone,

Congrats on your new Fourum III guitars.  Does anyone know if there are any left?  I tried Jim but he's obviously a bit preoccupied right now so I'm not sure if there are any officially not spoken for any longer? 

wrightdawg
Be patient and something will come up.    :thumb

Jim gave me the impression when I sope to him Wed. that the list of those who wanted them was growing every day. I really don't think you'll see too many, if any, for sale by owners unless it's due to the economy! :crying:
   Lynn, still waiting to hear back from Jim after sending him the pics. I mentioned maybe working out something wiith the SD-50 (a package deal?), but I have to see what my funds are by next week. I didn;t forget about you!

I will ask Jim for an updated list of what is still available today.

This is Jim's update today:

I am in a holding pattern to wait for John to release the final batch of extra guitars. Five off the original list are sold. John asked me to stop selling them until he has all of the original 78 completed. I am taking names via email for a waiting list of the people who want one. I have an email from Larrivee sales about this but have not taken the time yet to review it. As long as I have Forum guitars here to work on, that is the priority!
    To be clear about the extra guitars
1) They will have the forum Label, but no series number.
2) I will do the bone saddle and set up on all the ones that come here.
3) There will not be a forum III hat. This will only be for the first 78 who ordered before the deadline. The order quantity for the hats precludes a small lot order.