Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well... my #77 has become a go to guitar.....

Since I sweat quite easily my gloss guitars don't get very much playing time due to stickiness.. lol

Satin rules in this cas...
Jeffrey

Haven't been on the forum for a long time.
My FIII settled _very_ nicely and the sound became very rich and mellow.
The more I use it, the better it becomes.
I wonder how great it will be when I'll pass it to my grandchildren  :nice guitar:
Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33

I have been playing a lot recently, and playing both of my larrivees a similar amount. They were both overdue a string change, but I am broke and have 1 spare set of strings, so I knew if I restrung one I would break one on the other.  I relented tonight and restrung my forum III and ordered up a few new sets.

Wow, I knew the old strings were done, but this guitar just blew me away again. It just gets better and better and better.  It just rings like a bell, like a 12 string without all the strings.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Frankly, it's the first guitar I'm crazy about for so long (almost 7 months)  :nana_guitar I wonder how long will this romancing last  :bgrin:
Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33

Quote from: vates on December 04, 2009, 12:31:33 AM
Frankly, it's the first guitar I'm crazy about for so long (almost 7 months)  :nana_guitar I wonder how long will this romancing last  :bgrin:

Don't worry about it..  just enjoy the ride  :bgrin:    I can't see myself tiring of my Forum III. It continues to amaze and inspire me.   It's like a trusty friend already.   I could get by with it as my only guitar although I'd miss my other Larrivees.

Yep, agreed with the comments about the LS-03R.  Very impressive guitar.  Mine continues to amaze me.

12-frets sure sets the tone!   :laughin:
Play it daily for best results.

agreed, I could be happy with it as an only guitar.  I am seriously considering selling my OM-03 now to buy something more different from the F-III.  Problem is that what I really want is the forum IV, and i haven't got the extra lolly, so I think I'll wait until one comes up used and do the swap then.  Problem is that my 3 year old knocked my OM-03 off the stand a month ago, and it has an indentation in the back of the neck.  No real problem for me, it is very slight and doesn't affect playability, but probably hammers its value as a used instrument because it is more than just a cosmetic flaw.

I might compromise and get a new Guild GAD M20.  I reckon I could pull of a straight swap there.

The F-III will NEVER leave me.  It is the ultimate keeper in my opinion.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: BenF on December 04, 2009, 01:53:05 AM
The F-III will NEVER leave me.  It is the ultimate keeper in my opinion.

Ben, I must confess that in one fleeting moment of temporary insanity, I had considered the thought of getting rid of all my guitars
and keeping only the cheapest one in my stable - the Art & Lutherie Ami parlor - cedar top.

I have since relented and repented of my wicked ways. I agree with you. If there is one I would keep, it would be #78, my LSV-03R FIII.

While I'm tempted to jump in on the FIV, I can't see how its smaller size can match the wonderful sound I hear from my FIII.

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 04, 2009, 02:27:32 AM
Ben, I must confess that in one fleeting moment of temporary insanity, I had considered the thought of getting rid of all my guitars
and keeping only the cheapest one in my stable - the Art & Lutherie Ami parlor - cedar top.

I have since relented and repented of my wicked ways. I agree with you. If there is one I would keep, it would be #78, my LSV-03R FIII.

While I'm tempted to jump in on the FIV, I can't see how its smaller size can match the wonderful sound I hear from my FIII.

ricky

The reason for a 00 is to get a handy lap guitar that has better sound than the standard parlor. btw +1 on the FIII getting better and better with use.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: BenF on December 03, 2009, 04:27:02 PM
I have been playing a lot recently, and playing both of my larrivees a similar amount.

Same here...and I've been enjoying the different personalities that each guitar has. The D-03R just booms like a good dread should, but then I play my 17 year old OM-05, and there is a maturity and depth to it's midrangey tones that runs from my ears to my soul. It just felt 'healing' last night when I played it after the D-03.

Quote from: Randy_R on December 04, 2009, 04:20:53 AM
The reason for a 00 is to get a handy lap guitar that has better sound than the standard parlor. btw +1 on the FIII getting better and better with use.

I got out my daughter's parlor last night - which is now about 8-9 years old, but hasn't been played much (she didn't take it to college, and now she lives overseas. My younger daughter plays some, and I hate to see a Larrivee sitting in a closet unplayed! It's a righty, but I tuned it up (strings are fairly new - I changed them when my older daughter was home for a while this summer), and it made me look forward to the Forum IV. I've never been a big parlor fan, but this little thing (plain ol' spruce top/hog body) really does sound sweet. The Forum IV will be even sweeter!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Randy_R on December 04, 2009, 04:20:53 AM

Randy, Can you offer insight into what the tonal difference(s) may be between the Parlor and the upcoming Forum IV? I'm mainly curious about the body size difference in that the Forum IV specs. 00 body is smaller than the Parlor. I had thought the 00 body was slightly larger than the Parlor.
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Larrivée 00-03MT Forum IV-#7
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

Quote from: Frank_S on December 05, 2009, 02:45:48 PM
Randy, Can you offer insight into what the tonal difference(s) may be between the Parlor and the upcoming Forum IV? I'm mainly curious about the body size difference in that the Forum IV specs. 00 body is smaller than the Parlor. I had thought the 00 body was slightly larger than the Parlor.
Frank I amended the post. It has to have been given to us incorrectly. Those sizes are for a parlor.
               This is the correct 00 size.

Lower Bout: 14.25"
Upper Bout: 10.25"
Waist: 8.25"
Depth: 4.25"
Scale Length: 25.5"
Nut Width: 1 & 3/4"

Quote from: dependan on December 05, 2009, 03:13:11 PM
  Frank I amended the post. It has to have been given to us incorrectly. Those sizes are for a parlor.

As you can see from Danny's post, it's about an inch bigger in the upper bout/waist/lower bout dimensions, and 1/4" deeper in the body.  Add this to the 1 1/2" longer scale length and you have a guitar that will be more articulate (becasue of scale length), and louder with more bass than a parlor.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: dependan on December 05, 2009, 03:13:11 PM

Thank you for clearing that up.   :smile:
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Larrivée 00-03MT Forum IV-#7
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

A question for you much more experienced and educated players. I have been considering a 12 fret for a while and actually should have gone to Denis' when he had one for sale. Money was a little tight and I did not want to tempt myself. Now I have the option of the FIII or the 00-60. What would be your preference and why? Thanks for your help!! Enjoy Rick
FIII-ISM 76/78
OM-03
00-60
C-10
D-03
"When your going through HELL, Keep Going !!  Winston Churchill

An F3 or a 00-60? That may be one of the hardest choices you'll ever face!

If nothing else, you are comparing a rosewood to a mahogany, so I hope you have a preference there. The F3 is a limited run, has a slightly larger body, with the Italian Spruce, so a little better bottom end. 00 is discontinued, has a beautiful gloss finish and slotted headstock, traditional herringbone trim all around, better case - much higher on the bling scale.

I think your only option is to get both - :winkin:

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: tadol on January 03, 2010, 03:03:44 PM
An F3 or a 00-60? That may be one of the hardest choices you'll ever face!

I think your only option is to get both - :winkin:

Tad

:thumb    :roll
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I very seriously thought about that , but divorces are very expensive !!  :thumbsup
FIII-ISM 76/78
OM-03
00-60
C-10
D-03
"When your going through HELL, Keep Going !!  Winston Churchill

There are F-IIIs available with Rosewood and all Hog.
There aren't very many for sale though. Considering how many were built I think that says a lot.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

True - but I don't think we have a good count on how many 00-60s were made, and they seem to come up for sale even less often!

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -