Pages: 1 ... 49 [50] 51 52   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum III impressions and discussion  (Read 115350 times)
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #980 on: June 17, 2009, 10:41:14 AM »

I'd love to have his guitar chops but am afraid that would come at the cost of something I wouldn't want to lose - like family, friends, and life.  Such a shame he died so young.

He had a legendary drug problem which ultimately did him in...but yeah, chops, chops and more chops!!!!

I'm starting to think I might want to try an all mahogany FIII now....hhmmmm....actually, that would probably be a mistake!!!!

tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #981 on: June 17, 2009, 02:47:18 PM »

Denis - it wouldn't be. And it would make me feel much better to know that at least one other person had to have one of each -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #982 on: June 17, 2009, 02:52:47 PM »

Denis - it wouldn't be. And it would make me feel much better to know that at least one other person had to have one of each -

Tad

Well...I know I'd "like" one of each but "had to have"....not sure I'd go that far!!!   

Seriously though, I would love to at least play one just to see if it's got something the other don't have....again, that would probably be a mistake!!!!  GAS would strike me like lightening I'm sure!

Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #983 on: June 17, 2009, 04:56:31 PM »

I'm starting to think I might want to try an all mahogany FIII now....hhmmmm....actually, that would probably be a mistake!!!!

Well, as one of those folks who joined the multiple-FIII club (all-hog, IS/RW), I prefer the all-hog so far although there are some unresolved intonation issues on the IS/RW which have discouraged me from playing it much yet.

The all-hog has a beautifully balanced sound and great sustain, not as bright as the the IS/RW but I prefer the blend on the all-hog. It's kind of like the difference between an LP and a CD - the CD is much brighter out of the box but after you listen to an LP for awhile you realize everything is there and it's just a different balance of sound.

To be fair, however, the all-hog has had 20x as much playing time and is starting to settle in while the IS/RW is waiting on a tweak or two which should happen next week...

Mike
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #984 on: June 17, 2009, 05:31:32 PM »

Well, as one of those folks who joined the multiple-FIII club (all-hog, IS/RW), I prefer the all-hog so far although there are some unresolved intonation issues on the IS/RW which have discouraged me from playing it much yet.

The all-hog has a beautifully balanced sound and great sustain, not as bright as the the IS/RW but I prefer the blend on the all-hog. It's kind of like the difference between an LP and a CD - the CD is much brighter out of the box but after you listen to an LP for awhile you realize everything is there and it's just a different balance of sound.

To be fair, however, the all-hog has had 20x as much playing time and is starting to settle in while the IS/RW is waiting on a tweak or two which should happen next week...

Mike

My mahogany/IS has a lot of playing time already too including a couple of gigs....another one coming up this weekend (Woody's on Elgin St in Ottawa if any of you are nearby) and it is an outstanding guitar.  Funny thing though, the RW/IS is not giving me the same intonation issues I've been hearing about, or even experienced like like the first week I had the mahogany/IS??
Must be Jim's bone saddle/set up.  It's really a tremendous guitar.  I haven't done any major strumming with it so far, only fingerstyle....and fingerstyle sounbds GOOD on the RW/IS!!!! 

We'll see how they develop over the coming weeks and months.  Who knows, I may end up keeping both...and I may not.  Only time will tell.

BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #985 on: June 17, 2009, 05:35:46 PM »

Mike, this is probably gonna sound just idiotic and stupid, but as my RW/IS was played, the intonation issue got less and less severe, to the point where it isn't even noticable below the 12th fret now.  The whole guitar seemed to settle down.  I think the length of time between being a block of wood and being in a customers hands was significantly less than typical guitar builds.

I can't put mine down now, but had similar reservations as you for the first few weeks.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #986 on: June 17, 2009, 08:07:34 PM »

Mike, this is probably gonna sound just idiotic and stupid, but as my RW/IS was played, the intonation issue got less and less severe, to the point where it isn't even noticable below the 12th fret now.  The whole guitar seemed to settle down.  I think the length of time between being a block of wood and being in a customers hands was significantly less than typical guitar builds.

I can't put mine down now, but had similar reservations as you for the first few weeks.

In this case I'm not sure more playing is the solution, I think it's partly at least a poorly cut nut which is causing the problem, but perhaps you're right to some extent. This was direct so it didn't go through Jim, to also respond to Denis's comment - I don't know how to double-quote. I expect to take it in to Larrivee in Vancouver next week, assuming Ed is back.

I've certainly noticed that the all-hog has settled down a bit as far as staying in tune goes - as opposed to intonation - and we had an unseasonably dry spring in Vancouver with well-below average humidity so I've been watching that pretty carefully.

Mike
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #987 on: June 18, 2009, 12:48:06 AM »

In this case I'm not sure more playing is the solution, I think it's partly at least a poorly cut nut which is causing the problem, but perhaps you're right to some extent. This was direct so it didn't go through Jim, to also respond to Denis's comment - I don't know how to double-quote. I expect to take it in to Larrivee in Vancouver next week, assuming Ed is back.

I've certainly noticed that the all-hog has settled down a bit as far as staying in tune goes - as opposed to intonation - and we had an unseasonably dry spring in Vancouver with well-below average humidity so I've been watching that pretty carefully.

Mike
   You can "double quote" by using the "insert quote" next to someones post. Do a "preview" after you qoute and write. Then it will have the" insert quote" as you scroll down from your preview.

Mike
Like that

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #988 on: June 18, 2009, 01:43:55 AM »

In this case I'm not sure more playing is the solution, I think it's partly at least a poorly cut nut which is causing the problem, but perhaps you're right to some extent. This was direct so it didn't go through Jim...
Mike

The Tusq not was not changed or altered by Jim H.  Last week I took the LS-03R to a guitar tech for a possible setup.  He noticed that the B and treble E nut slots were not cut as deep and that the G slot was tight (I already knew that).

I sanded the G slot so the string could be easily tuned without binding.  Not a great looking job, but the tuning is fine now.  But even before the sanding the B and E strings were visibly higher than the lower four strings.

I'm thinking I should have another nut put in as the factory Tusq was apparently not done correctly.  What do you think?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Play it daily for best results.
Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #989 on: June 18, 2009, 02:10:17 AM »

You can "double quote" by using the "insert quote" next to someones post. Do a "preview" after you qoute and write. Then it will have the" insert quote" as you scroll down from your preview.
 Like that

Thank you.

Like that

Thank you.   
pennerblue

Ignore
« Reply #990 on: June 18, 2009, 02:01:46 PM »

Well here's another plug for the all hog.  My brother visited me this week.  He has played some guitar, but not much.  However, he is consumed with music of all types.  I believe he has 5000 LPS as well as countless CDs.

He liked the tone of the LS03-MT best over my silver oak, L03R and my Guild (rosewood) D-50.

I like it best for picking rather than strumming, and I prefer silk and bronze(or steel) strings on it.  I'd rather strum the other guitars.

Penner

Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

“Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it’s more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique.”
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #991 on: June 19, 2009, 12:47:18 AM »

Just thought I would mention that both tusq nuts have been changed out for bone nuts on my FIIIs. Both of the luthiers who worked on my guitars were not impressed/happy with the tusq nuts for the same kinds of reasons you were mentioning.

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #992 on: June 25, 2009, 03:27:48 PM »

Just thought I would mention that both tusq nuts have been changed out for bone nuts on my FIIIs. Both of the luthiers who worked on my guitars were not impressed/happy with the tusq nuts for the same kinds of reasons you were mentioning.
That makes sense.  I've got a July 14 appointment to bring the FIII in for a new cut bone nut.  What is the "typical" price for such a job?

Play it daily for best results.
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #993 on: June 25, 2009, 03:44:42 PM »

That makes sense.  I've got a July 14 appointment to bring the FIII in for a new cut bone nut.  What is the "typical" price for such a job?

I was quoted £20-30 today from a luthier, so that would be $35-50USD, which seemed resonable to me.  I don't know how that compares with other peoples experiences.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #994 on: June 25, 2009, 04:04:59 PM »

Seems to depend on the luthier. I paid Cdn$100!!!! for Bella's, but only Cdn$50 for Sienna's.

Stephen Basil

Ignore
« Reply #995 on: June 25, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »

I was charged $50 Canadian to have the nut and saddle replaced, but I provided the Colosi bits.

OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #996 on: June 25, 2009, 07:23:53 PM »

Mine cost 5-10 $ US...and a lot of patience ;-)

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #997 on: June 25, 2009, 07:57:08 PM »

danny, if i had the tools and the skills I would do it myself. Saddle yes, nut no way!!

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #998 on: June 25, 2009, 09:52:50 PM »

Seems to depend on the luthier. I paid Cdn$100!!!! for Bella's, but only Cdn$50 for Sienna's.

How much is that in "Monkey Money"?    whistling
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #999 on: June 26, 2009, 12:27:37 AM »

How much is that in "Monkey Money"?    whistling

Lynn, well you managed to put a smile on my face and bring back some very fond memories of a certain restaurant in Vancouver in March. 

That would be either 5 or 2 1/2... rolleye

Pages: 1 ... 49 [50] 51 52   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: