Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I can strum my F-3MT FULL-ON and it just asked it I got any more!
Larrivee Forum-III all hog

Sorry if this falls into the "there are no dumb questions, just dumb people" category.  I'm not good at doing a search and after scrolling through the first several pages of the 49 in this thread I figured might be quicker to throw the question out there.

What brand and gauge strings (EXP 15 or EXP 16) were installed as standard issue on the Forum III? 

Time to get some new strings and see the 2 for 1 offer on EXPs is still out there.

Thanks in advance

16's I think.   I just changed mine to EJ-16's today. I like the way they made the F-III even brighter, what I mean is more bell like, ringing with very clear notes. It was that way already, just seems even clearer now. I did put another saddle in at the same time though.

Finally decided to change the strings on my F-III, hog/is.

DR Sunbeam round wounds.  12-54's

WOW  !!!   The trebles finally sound like I was hoping, with no loss of the growlling bass.

Quote from: iDavid on June 05, 2009, 11:10:23 PM
I can strum my F-3MT FULL-ON and it just asked it I got any more!

After reading this, tried some strumming.   Sounded real good....
Kicked it up a notch.....and another notch.....and another notch

This smaller box can really take it...... could not seem to overdrive this guitar,  without risking hurting myself..

Nice bonus, considering I wanted a really nice fingerstyle guitar, and got one...

:nana_guitar    ds

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

DS,

That's a long time to wait to try out new strings, especially if the strings on it didn't sound good for you!  Glad you are digging the tone now.  :beer
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: dependan on June 05, 2009, 10:28:50 PM
   I really want a slot head but that limits you to a 00 or a SD with my shoulder issues. Unless someone knows of a slot head in an OM or smaller size.

(Whispers) Taylor......Shhhhh.! :cop:

So guys, Ive got the OM-03R, which is my all rounder, (it has to be , its all I own) and have been seriously considering a Mahogany small body as an interesting alternative, especially for fingerstyle blues. Ive noticed theres a couple popping up on the for sale section. Should I buy one? (silly question on this thread I guess) or should I keep saving for an OM- or 000-50?

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: obe-wan on June 16, 2009, 06:26:32 AM

So guys, Ive got the OM-03R, which is my all rounder, (it has to be , its all I own) and have been seriously considering a Mahogany small body as an interesting alternative, especially for fingerstyle blues. Ive noticed theres a couple popping up on the for sale section. Should I buy one? (silly question on this thread I guess) or should I keep saving for an OM- or 000-50?

Cheers, Scott.

Scott my two favorite guitars are my Mahogany IS F-III and my RW 16 year old Martin OM-21.  I highly reccomend the Hog IS F-III. I have heard them all. And this combination is just ''spot on".  Getting your set up right seems to be the only real issue.

And I am replacing my tuners as soon a my buddy Tad can nail it down.

So of course I say ''Go for it" Just read and listen to Denis' playing his Hog IS.

Quote from: dependan on June 16, 2009, 06:42:17 AM

So of course I say ''Go for it" Just read and listen to Denis' playing his Hog IS.

Where do I find this mate?

Cheers, scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: obe-wan on June 16, 2009, 06:45:18 AM
Where do I find this mate?

Cheers, scott.
Look up the posts for "Denis". He is on you tube also. I need to get ready to go down to the hospital right now. Denis also has a current topic about waiting on a F-III. He now has two. His first was hog/Is and now he has a RW also. He traded in his 00-50 for it.

Quote from: dependan on June 16, 2009, 06:49:14 AM
             Look up the posts for "Denis". He is on you tube also. I need to get ready to go down to the hospital right now. Denis also has a current topic about waiting on a F-III. He now has two. His first was hog/Is and now he has a RW also. He traded in his 00-50 for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P640z2pqjqk
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Wow. err. Wow. Should I just give up playing now. Im a bit speechless.  :ohmy: Superb springs to mind. I didnt know you could make guitars do that. How does he do that? Sorry, Im rambling. Great stuff Denis!

Cheers. Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: obe-wan on June 16, 2009, 07:05:12 AM
Wow. err. Wow. Should I just give up playing now. Im a bit speechless.  :ohmy: Superb springs to mind. I didnt know you could make guitars do that. How does he do that? Sorry, Im rambling. Great stuff Denis!

Cheers. Scott.

Yeah, it is great to listen to, but whe you see him play it with what appears to be absolutely no effort, it just makes me want to give up sometimes!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: BenF on June 16, 2009, 07:15:04 AM
Yeah, it is great to listen to, but whe you see him play it with what appears to be absolutely no effort, it just makes me want to give up sometimes!

:blush:

Thanks guys....but there are plenty of players out there that make me want to give up sometimes too...like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZKUcGTmvos

Quote from: obe-wan on June 16, 2009, 06:26:32 AM

Cheers, Scott.

Scott
I guess I am a bit biased on the subject but I have an OM-03R like you and also a 000-50 ( all hog) and I find them to be perfect compliments to one another.    My OM-03R is ten times the guitar it was when I bought it 3 years ago.  It just continues to get bigger and better sounding.   The 000-50 is simply an awsome fingerpicking machine.  The wider neck takes some getting used to but it just sounds like nothing else I own.   I just keep bouncing between the OM-03R, the 000-50 and the new(ish) Forum III LS-03;    Can't make up my mind which one I prefer.  All are awesome.

Tuffythepug

Quote from: Denis on June 16, 2009, 09:22:02 AM
:blush:

Thanks guys....but there are plenty of players out there that make me want to give up sometimes too...like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZKUcGTmvos

Denis, your work is fantastic, but you know you can't compare yourself to Lenny.  He was one of the world's three CGP, along with Chet and Tommy. 

I knew a fellow who had a weekly music show on CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - for those of you not living in the Great White North) and he had some pretty interesting stories about Lenny.  He was a most interesting and talented guy, and led an unusual life right from the start.  With a father who was a professional musician, he was consumed by music (specifically guitar) from an early age and left school at 14 or 15 to tour with his father. Like so many uber talented guys, his life came to an early and unfortunate end at the hand of his girl friend in an L.A. motel, if I'm not mistaken.

He was raised in Winnipeg, and living right around the corner was a young Randy Bachman, and Lenny taught him his first jazz chords...

jimmy

Quote from: jimmy buffett on June 16, 2009, 10:29:23 AM
Denis, your work is fantastic, but you know you can't compare yourself to Lenny.  He was one of the world's three CGP, along with Chet and Tommy. 

I knew a fellow who had a weekly music show on CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - for those of you not living in the Great White North) and he had some pretty interesting stories about Lenny.  He was a most interesting and talented guy, and led an unusual life right from the start.  With a father who was a professional musician, he was consumed by music (specifically guitar) from an early age and left school at 14 or 15 to tour with his father. Like so many uber talented guys, his life came to an early and unfortunate end at the hand of his girl friend in an L.A. motel, if I'm not mistaken.

He was raised in Winnipeg, and living right around the corner was a young Randy Bachman, and Lenny taught him his first jazz chords...

jimmy

Lenny's daughter made a documentary about him a few years back.  She interviewed Chet Atkins, Ted Grene, Pat Metheny, Andy Summers...a bunch of people and they said Lenny was a monster on the guitar but that he couldn never keep things together in his personal life.  Lots of info here:  www.guitarchives.com which is Randy Bachman's site.  They used to sell the documentary on VHS at this site.  I've seen it on YouTube in several installments.  Truly cool and tragic...

I could never compare myself to him Jimmy...just saying, sometimes, I listen to people that play that just make me want to throw my guitars out the wndow and Lenny was one of them.

Quote from: Denis on June 16, 2009, 10:34:49 AM
I could never compare myself to him Jimmy...just saying, sometimes, I listen to people that play that just make me want to throw my guitars out the wndow and Lenny was one of them.

If I could play like you, Denis, i wouldn't compare myself to anyone either.  Not that I waste any time worrying about this, because as my friend says, "it's not a competition" (OK, it actually is, but I continue to delude myself  :humour:!)

Having said that,  after listening to a few of your YouTube contributions, I went to my new toy - a JCL 40th Anniversary reissue, and for the first time, it sounded kinda' plain.

No - wait a minute - it wasn't the guitar, it was me.  Now I'm not likely to throw it away so soon, but listening to you had a sobering influence on me.  Now I need to go back and practice some more for the get-together this Saturday with some of my guitar playing pals.  Always a good time for kids of all ages...

jimmy

Danny, My hog F3 goes quite well with EJ16's...
IMO, Hog and PB go very well :)

Do you use EJ16's on your OM-21 as well?
Jeffrey

Quote from: Denis on June 16, 2009, 10:34:49 AM
I could never compare myself to him ... just saying, sometimes, I listen to people that play that just make me want to throw my guitars out the wndow and Lenny was one of them.
I'd love to have his guitar chops but am afraid that would come at the cost of something I wouldn't want to lose - like family, friends, and life.  Such a shame he died so young.
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: es-335 on June 16, 2009, 03:19:24 PM
Danny, My hog F3 goes quite well with EJ16's...
IMO, Hog and PB go very well :)

Do you use EJ16's on your OM-21 as well?
I use Dean Markley Gold Bronze Alchemys. 12-54      I just like them. I tried othher strings, but always put the Alchemy's back on the OM-21.