Pages: 1 ... 46 [47] 48 ... 52   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum III impressions and discussion  (Read 119191 times)
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #920 on: June 01, 2009, 09:13:35 PM »

Randy, I asked Jim about doing the same thing, figuring the mediums would sound great with the 12 to the body. He told me that, personally, he'd stay with the lights, which I did. Took the EXP's right off, though, as I couldn't stand them & felt they sounded kinda dull. So just imagine a set of EJ-16's on there, how sweet that would sound. Just got mine back from Jim on Thursday, after an issue came up forcing me to send it back. After 3 weeks, I have it back & am finally getting to experience the sound, great fit (& I'm 6'"6"!), & in your face sound! I'm assumming that will only get better & I plan on glossing it up. Should sound even better then! Randy, put the lights on even if you have to tweak the neck abit. It will sound awesome! And I think the medium EXP's are holding back the sound some, so just imagine what's in srore for you! DO it!
     Jeff

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #921 on: June 01, 2009, 10:19:46 PM »

Had enough time yet, David?  How is the FIII settling in for you?

The LS-03R is opening up nicely now according to my ears.  Some long playing sessions are starting to convince that stiff stubborn Italian top to realize its no longer a tree.  Rather, it's beginning to realize it has a higher calling.  

The notes are getting to have more rosewood depth and piano-like ringing when chords are struck. 

Hopefully you are experiencing good things.
Or is it ...as Jeremy would say your ear has become adjusted? Really doesn't matter either way. I'm glad you like it and most others do too. I know I was the "cheerleader" and well over the top with enthusiasm, but it was "part of me"... or is part of me. In a small way.
       And I really do enjoy it more than my Martin, gibson, and some other nice gits around the house, here and there. Stuffed in an A/C closet or back room or Anwar  (spelling) You know that funky furniture with big doors that can hold two guitars.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #922 on: June 01, 2009, 11:53:53 PM »

And I really do enjoy it more than my Martin, gibson, and some other nice gits around the house, here and there. Stuffed in an A/C closet or back room or Anwar  (spelling) You know that funky furniture with big doors that can hold two guitars.

Can't resist....I think you mean "armoire."

Mike
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #923 on: June 01, 2009, 11:55:51 PM »

Can't resist....I think you mean "armoire."

Mike
Probably... one of those big pieces of furniture that is a small closet ;-)

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #924 on: June 02, 2009, 06:41:49 PM »

Or is it ...as Jeremy would say your ear has become adjusted? Really doesn't matter either way. I'm glad you like it and most others do too.
The wood is vibrating more than the stiff new guitar it was a month ago.  Strummed chords show off the rosewood depth.  Very nice.  Think I'll play it in a couple of minutes.

And I really do enjoy it more than my Martin, gibson, and some other nice gits around the house, here and there. ...
The LS-03R has been getting the most playing time, typical for the new kid on the block.  But when I bring out the D-18GE its very clear which guitar is #1, at least in this house.  The 1934 inspired Martin is really special.

Play it daily for best results.
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #925 on: June 03, 2009, 02:59:23 PM »

After reading all of the posts about how great the RW F-III's sound, which is what I had ordered until my conversation with Dave Wren, makes me wonder what I'm missing. Then I went with the IS/HOG, which is great, but, again, what is there with the RW ones that I'm not getting? I am turning into a HOG lover, still amazed though with my L-10 after all of these years. I've had problems that I'd rather not get into, but it was sent back to Jim for some rework. Now the "B" string is buzzing, making me wonder if I should just change the strings & have the frets checked for levelness. Seem awfully high also. Anybody else experienced the same type of thing? Jim had put a bone nut in mine, which it now has a new one that is much better. I just don't know if this guitar is just going to settle down a bit or if it's something others are living with. Sounds great, plays great, just the occasional buzzing. Anybody? Danny, I know it's been a love-fest for you from the beginning, so I never saw any negative posts about yours, being the same wood combo. Or Normans, same wood also. Am I just blessed to have challenges with this guitar? Hate putting money into it, but after I check the frets, I'll know how off they are, as all are not dead-on.
   Am taking my Baden to a shop I've never been to before that carries Blueridge, looking for a OOO size HOG. Or RW, if it hits me right. Have 2 RW's, 2 HOG's. Have heard alot about them & like my Baden, have been following them for a short while. Any comments or experiences on any OOO Blueridge models? Or to any of my F-III situation?
     Jeff

tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #926 on: June 03, 2009, 03:36:53 PM »

Hi Jeff -

I think it is safe to say that Jim did a good job of set-up without actually sitting and hearing how you play. I asked for mine to be set just a little higher than I like realizing that after I broke her in, I would have a local guy do the little tweaks that dial it in closer to my style. Seemed safer that way.

Re: the saddle and frets - I agree that my saddle will need a bit of adjusting, as I am hearing some minor intonation issues that I am going to ask about. I want to try the Tusq to see if I still hear them. I am also not sure that the frets are all prefect, but they're darn close, and as these are the first new guitars I've ever bought, I assumed that a couple months of playing and acclimatizing would make alot of these issues more apparent, and easier to fix.

RE: RW  vs hog, there is very much a tone difference. I would not call either better, and I still cannot say which I prefer - I think you are lucky if you have either, or any -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #927 on: June 03, 2009, 05:38:18 PM »

After reading all of the posts about how great the RW F-III's sound, which is what I had ordered until my conversation with Dave Wren, makes me wonder what I'm missing. Then I went with the IS/HOG, which is great, but, again, what is there with the RW ones that I'm not getting? ...
Rosewood has more overtones and the bass has a more full sound to it.  But you've got an L10 rosewood monster.  Stick with that one and don't worry about the FIII RW.

... I've had problems that I'd rather not get into, but it was sent back to Jim for some rework. Now the "B" string is buzzing, making me wonder if I should just change the strings & have the frets checked for levelness. Seem awfully high also. Anybody else experienced the same type of thing? Jim had put a bone nut in mine, which it now has a new one that is much better. I just don't know if this guitar is just going to settle down a bit or if it's something others are living with. Sounds great, plays great, just the occasional buzzing. Anybody? ...
I think the FIII guitars were assembled pretty quickly and some attention-to-detail was missing.  The B-string on my LS-03R buzzes with moderate attack, as in flatpicking.  The G-string nut slot is tight, something Jim H mentioned to me about his LIII.  I'm debating whether to sandpaper it some more or take the guitar in for a nut set up.  Last night I noticed some fret ends, but perhaps the unusual 85 degree Seattle heat is affecting the wood and steel.

... I just don't know if this guitar is just going to settle down a bit or if it's something others are living with. Sounds great, plays great, just the occasional buzzing. Anybody? Am I just blessed to have challenges with this guitar? Hate putting money into it, but after I check the frets, I'll know how off they are, as all are not dead-on....    Jeff
The original Tusq saddle might make for better intonation and maybe better (to your ears) sound.  Give it a try!  I am mostly happy with the LS-03R and my appreciation for the guitar seems to be rising.  In many ways I like the sound better than my '74 LoPrinzi RW dread, which I don't play much now.

Also, the mood I am in while playing affects my disposition towards the LIII.  Good mood = I LIKE it, Bad mood = What's with this thing?    

Play it daily for best results.
obe-wan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #928 on: June 04, 2009, 03:11:08 PM »

Can someone attempt to compare one of these in words to an OM-03 please?

WAY BETTER.
danny

Danny, thems fightin' words ! mad     

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin 00-18V.
Gibson SG Classic.
Gibson CS ES-339 incoming....

Still no Larrivee.... :-(

Upwey, Victoria, Australia.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #929 on: June 04, 2009, 04:32:28 PM »

I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. whistling

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #930 on: June 04, 2009, 07:06:12 PM »

Norm & Tad, thanks for the feedback. Jim made a new nut for me, which he does well (I had him do a bone one). His tolerance on the slots is so close that it takes a few sets of strings for them to seat right. Matt (photomat) told me that he went through a few sets before things settled down. I think I'll have to do the same.
   As far as the intonation, Jim did a great job on this setup. For now, the bone saddle is staying, unless I notice some drastic changes. Went to a new store yesterday that turned out to be a Larrivee dealer. News to me. He told me, just as we all thought would happen, that Larrivee was making a run of 50 LS body guitars, him ordering only 2. Didn't say anything about body wood, just that they had a Sitka top (-03 series). I'm assuming they're RW, him saying that they were great finger style guitars. Was bound to happen, as we all knew.
   Now, I'll just change the strings & play the snot out of it, as Jim said. I found out that the build time for mine was about 1 & 1/2 months, about half the time of normal -03 series guitars. Must have found a way to cut corners but still keep us happy!
     Jeff   

BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #931 on: June 04, 2009, 11:24:33 PM »

Norm, I was also discussing the weather patterns lately & how that might be messing with our guitars. Makes sense. Hope all calms down & gets back to normal (?) soon.
     Jeff

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #932 on: June 04, 2009, 11:46:05 PM »

Bluesman1
Re:    Larrivee making another batch of LS-03 guitars........   
I heard from another dealer recently that these would be LS bodies with standard 14 fret necks rather than the F III 12 fretters.  Based on the dealer cost he was quoted these will, almost certainly, be more expensive than the forum guitars.  I'm sure that these will be nice guitars and I don't blame the factory for taking advantage of the wave of enthusiasm to produce more of these.  They will not, however, be the same as a forum III without the numbers and signature.  The 14 fret version is bound to have different tonal characteristics.
For some, it may be more desirable than the 12 fret version though.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #933 on: June 05, 2009, 12:12:15 AM »

The 14 fret version is bound to have different tonal characteristics.

Especially since both tone bars will most likely be below the bridge plate, certainly altering the long dipole mode.

bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #934 on: June 05, 2009, 12:23:33 AM »

Bluesman1
Re:    Larrivee making another batch of LS-03 guitars........   
I heard from another dealer recently that these would be LS bodies with standard 14 fret necks rather than the F III 12 fretters.  Based on the dealer cost he was quoted these will, almost certainly, be more expensive than the forum guitars.  I'm sure that these will be nice guitars and I don't blame the factory for taking advantage of the wave of enthusiasm to produce more of these.  They will not, however, be the same as a forum III without the numbers and signature.  The 14 fret version is bound to have different tonal characteristics.
For some, it may be more desirable than the 12 fret version though.

Not only will they sound different with the 14-frets, but an Italian spruce top, as many of us now know, is a significant tonal upgrade from sitka.  Still these will be very nice guitars though.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #935 on: June 05, 2009, 01:35:02 AM »

Especially since both tone bars will most likely be below the bridge plate, certainly altering the long dipole mode.

-  Uh, OK, - I guess I like my long dipole mode just the way it is -

Sure wish we could get a nice chalk drawing of that one so I can pretend to understand it -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #936 on: June 05, 2009, 03:15:54 AM »

Sure wish we could get a nice chalk drawing of that one so I can pretend to understand it -

Tad
  There was a picture of the bracing in the build thread. It was pointed out by Jeremy as having been altered from other larrivees. Which may be part of the richer tone being produced. To my ear there is a definite difference in the sound of the F-III and other Larrivee models.   (And I know, it's not "better'' just different)

sounds better to me though

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #937 on: June 05, 2009, 03:27:15 AM »

Tad

It just means the mode of vibration where the soundboard behind the bridge is moving up while in front of the bridge is moving down. I believe this occurs at the second harmonic of the main resonant mode of the top.

BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #938 on: June 05, 2009, 03:36:02 AM »

Yes, Lynn, Joseph, et all, you are all correct. Just forgot to mention the fact that they won't be 12 to the body & not #'d. I'm not down-playing our F-III's @ all, just letting those that didn't know, aware that they are making some LS -03's. That's all. Lynn, and I thought you remembered my name?
   Also just opening up more to talk about. Bye.
     Jeff   

Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #939 on: June 05, 2009, 06:24:44 AM »

It just means the mode of vibration where the soundboard behind the bridge is moving up while in front of the bridge is moving down. I believe this occurs at the second harmonic of the main resonant mode of the top.

Very interesting - are you using "mode" interchangeably with "note" here? Is it a particular note/mode on all guitars? And the second harmonic would be an octave plus a perfect 5th above then?

Mike
Pages: 1 ... 46 [47] 48 ... 52   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: