Pages: 1 ... 44 [45] 46 ... 52   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum III impressions and discussion  (Read 115609 times)
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #880 on: May 18, 2009, 12:29:40 PM »

I have to echo Ricky's thoughts on the CA Cargo. I played one and hated the tone, although, that being said, hearing Dave play one at the jam in Vancouver, it did sound nice. The price tag is just way too high for the guitar IMHO.

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #881 on: May 18, 2009, 03:22:01 PM »

How much for Dave?

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
iDavid

Ignore
« Reply #882 on: May 19, 2009, 10:32:14 AM »

How much for Dave?

holly

Do you mean for the Cargo?

I have two.  A dark green and a BRIGHT blue.  I am still waiting on my F3 and it is now PAINFUL. I have to see how that goes, but I am pretty sure one of the Cargos will sell.  I may keep one for my daughter. I do like them better than the Larrivee Spruce and Hog parlor I played.

I keep thinking I should sell all of them and get a Northwood!

david

Larrivee Forum-III all hog
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #883 on: May 23, 2009, 01:40:04 AM »

So while I was in the neighborhood today I stopped by C.F. Martin Guitar Co. in Nazerath, Pa.
 I checked out the museum and went to the old factory site on North Street. They happen to sell extra stuff from the factory there.
        Anyway I bought a 5 ply archtop Martin 533 Geib style case that fits my F-III very nicely. It was only $110 because they said it was a 2cnd, but I can't find a thing wrong with it other than light scuffing. It fits snuggly and I feel like it will protect 1/78 very nicely for a long time to come.
        I'll post some pics in another thread with a few from the Martin factory. I also have pics of GA_ME playing my F-III he liked it a lot but would say a few things about the neck set etc. Funny thing though he must have asked to play it "one more time" at least five times                               

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Alpione

Ignore
« Reply #884 on: May 23, 2009, 05:04:15 PM »

All -

I've been slack about the whole picture requirement for these guitars.  My lousy photography skills beside, here are a few of #26.  Unique in that it is IS/Hog with cutaway but no HB purfling.  The only one like that in the stack, I believe, which is mildly cool.

It's grown on me.  It was not my favorite when I first got it.  Tight and muffled, especially with the coated strings.  A change to EJ-16s and it's considerably better.  Playing it in has also helped, and I know it'll continue to grow.  Still minor intonation problems, so I'll try to address those when I get it setup at some point.  But it's certainly worth what I paid for it and has a wholly different character than my L-03R or my big Taylor dred.  It's a much better and responsive fingerstyle guitar than either of the others, and strums/flatpicks better than I would have expected.  Good stuff....

Adam

photomat

Ignore
« Reply #885 on: May 23, 2009, 05:49:11 PM »

Adam,

Thanks for sharing the photos.  I really like the cut away.  Enjoy your guitar! and Love the photos......

Matt

FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #886 on: May 23, 2009, 06:01:59 PM »

It's grown on me.  It was not my favorite when I first got it.  Tight and muffled, especially with the coated strings.  A change to EJ-16s and it's considerably better.  Playing it in has also helped, and I know it'll continue to grow.  Still minor intonation problems, so I'll try to address those when I get it setup at some point.  But it's certainly worth what I paid for it and has a wholly different character than my L-03R or my big Taylor dred.  It's a much better and responsive fingerstyle guitar than either of the others, and strums/flatpicks better than I would have expected.  Good stuff....       Adam

Adam, your comments mirror my impressions almost perfectly.  Intonation seems fine now, but the EJ16s really made a positive difference.  Lots of playing has opened things up as well.  The only concern I have is a low B string that buzzes when I pretend I am a young Leo Kottke.   

My version of the vine theme.

Play it daily for best results.
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #887 on: May 23, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »

hey proof , that's really neat....
a guitar plant !

...can I get a start from you ...or maybe some seeds ?

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #888 on: May 24, 2009, 01:58:34 AM »

hey proof , that's really neat....
a guitar plant !

...can I get a start from you ...or maybe some seeds ?

- Larry

Alpione

Ignore
« Reply #889 on: May 24, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention is the transition to a 12-fret neck.  While fingerpicking, I've always had the (bad) habit of resting the right heel of my hand on the bridge.  That's fine when needing to palm mute the bass strings, but with the bridge so far down on the lower bout on this guitar, it results in a bass-heavy sound with less treble than I need.  So it has really forced me to work on "hovering" the right hand nearer the soundhole without the crutch of resting my palm. 

It's something I've lazily avoided until now, and I know practicing it will make me a more versatile player.  But for now it's a little bit of a pain!  :)

Have a great day, everyone...

Adam
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #890 on: May 24, 2009, 07:58:19 PM »

I was completely confounded as to how anyone would do that. Then I realised you must not play in a classical position,lol. Really, I'm holding my guitar going 'Wha?"

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #891 on: May 24, 2009, 09:50:24 PM »

I'm setting this topic non-sticky today. Also non-stickied the spec thread and direct ship threads. Names were deleted from the order thread.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #892 on: May 25, 2009, 12:57:10 AM »

I was completely confounded as to how anyone would do that. Then I realised you must not play in a classical position,lol. Really, I'm holding my guitar going 'Wha?"

holly
Works ok for fret killer. For me and my relitively new entry into finger pickin, it depends what I'm playing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YjKnXy5GcE&feature=channel_page

The 12 fretter does pretty much does usually have me playing more in a "proper manner" as well though. I can completely relate.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
iDavid

Ignore
« Reply #893 on: May 25, 2009, 02:43:17 AM »

NUMBER 75 iS IN THE HOUSE!   bigrin

after 6 weeks or transit, I have my guitar

impression to follow

david

Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #894 on: May 25, 2009, 10:29:52 AM »

NUMBER 75 iS IN THE HOUSE!  +1

impression to follow

david

Congrats David....I don't think I could have waited that long!!

BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #895 on: May 25, 2009, 10:53:03 AM »

NUMBER 75 iS IN THE HOUSE!  +1

impression to follow

david

Can we now assume that all 78 forum gits are with their owners.  I can't believe you had to wait so long!!!

Looking forward to your analysis.  A word of caution, mine took a long time to 'settle' after its journey to the UK.  I don't know if it is because it was so fresh from the factory and then subjected to the travel, changes in temperature, humidity etc, but it took a good two weeks before it would stay in tune consistently etc.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #896 on: May 25, 2009, 11:56:02 AM »

I wonder about this thought???? Since these guitars are so "fresh",  newly built and straight out to the owners, I wonder if they might take a little long to break in and warm up. Even with the controls at larrivee and the care for humidity levels at many of your guys home, does fersh wood still not dry out to some degree and let it move better?

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
iDavid

Ignore
« Reply #897 on: May 25, 2009, 12:21:04 PM »

Too soon to say a whole lot, but this baby stays in tune no problem at all.  It has plenty of bass, high end sparkle, and expensive mids.

Jim's set-up was second to none.  Chording on this Hog is as easy as it comes. 

It has a quality I can't quite put my finger one at the moment.

Does anyone know what strings Jim puts on these after he set them up?

back to playing

david

lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #898 on: May 25, 2009, 12:41:15 PM »

David,

I am so thrilled to hear that yours is there and in one piece. I think I was as worried as you.

Looking forward to your review.

Lynda

iDavid

Ignore
« Reply #899 on: May 25, 2009, 02:15:48 PM »

David,

I am so thrilled to hear that yours is there and in one piece. I think I was as worried as you.

Looking forward to your review.

Lynda

I appreciate that.

david

Pages: 1 ... 44 [45] 46 ... 52   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: