Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: flatlander on May 04, 2009, 02:30:28 AM
I think he's referring to this     http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/pdfs/Steel_Restring.pdf

I think there is a consideration here of string type....I believe there is one type of string should NOT be cut to length until AFTER it is wound on the peg and under tension.  Is it hex core? Anyone?

I had this happen to me once (can't remember string type or make) where I cut it early and it was DEAD.
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Actually, from what I've read, it is the round core strings that need to be under tension before being cut. The more common hex core strings work fine with the Taylor stringing method.
Al

Quote from: ARK on May 04, 2009, 09:57:49 PM
Actually, from what I've read, it is the round core strings that need to be under tension before being cut. The more common hex core strings work fine with the Taylor stringing method.
Al

Newtones need to be under tension before being cut. These are the only strings I've used where this is the case..

~ Ray ~
Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Martin 0-16NY
Martin 0-18K
Martin 0-17

Quote from: Safricanplayer on May 05, 2009, 01:41:31 AM
Newtones need to be under tension before being cut. These are the only strings I've used where this is the case..

~ Ray ~

DR Sunbeams, my favorite strings, are also round core and require tensioned to pitch before cutting to prevent unwinding.

I wonder of even hex cored strings might be better off if not cut before the windings have chance to loosen and affect the tone.

Sunbeams are very close to the Newtones, at 1/3 the price,  Last pretty good for me too.  3-4 weeks of daily 30-60 mins.
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

Quote from: Daysailer on May 05, 2009, 07:14:07 PM
DR Sunbeams, my favorite strings, are also round core and require tensioned to pitch before cutting to prevent unwinding.

Yep...it was the Sunbeams that unwound on me.
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

#65 is scheduled to arrive today - Am I the last Forum 3 delivery? Are the other 77 all delivered?

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Tad
It could be a real horse-race to see whether the last Forum III will be delivered before the first Forum III is re-sold.   I believe there are currently 3 for sale;  although, technically, one was never even delivered before it went up for sale.    Funny how things go.    I think there are just as many folks who decided to add a second Forum III to their collection as there are those who decided to sell their one F III.

Who all got seconds ?    You, Photomat, and Lyric-girl for sure.  any others ?

I am guilty of double dipping.  I've got #28 (LS03HB) and after seeing the photos of Lynn and Jordan's all-hogs, I added one of the extras that Jim had.  It also has HB, so I have fraternal twins.  Both very nice, although the quality of my tops is not quite up to some that I have seen. 

Difference in tone is interesting.  The MT is, as Jim said it would be, "darker" - it has a somewhat richer tone, where the IS is a little brighter.  I switched the IS to EJ-16's and the MT still has the factory strings - need to change both to the same strings for an accurate A/B comparison.

Why did I take two?  I'm tired of strumming and am studying fingerstyle, and have become a 12-fret fan.  I had never held a LS, but it is interesting - almost iedntical dimensions to my 000-60.  Helluva guitar for the $.

Charlie

I heard from Jim Holler. All the guitars have been sent out which were ordered.

He has three Forum III's left:

LS03R with Herringbone  one
LS03 Two

Seems to me that a number of people owe us  :gotpics:
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Randy,

Both of mine are posted in the picture thread where they should be. Number 66 and my extra.  :humour:
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

I tried for a second one, an IS/RW HB model. Jim told me that he didn't want to trade for my OM-05, but wanted $ for them (the economy;don't blame him). Got my Baden A-Style instead (Euro Spruce Top/RW) + $50, which I'm very happy with. Maybe should have waited, but Jim sounded pretty adament about no trade. Maybe now he might have? :? Am quit happy with the Baden, though. Adds a different breed to my herd! :thumb
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Tad, I think Jim sent all out, as mentioned, last Monday (week before). I got mine, #47, on Weds. last week. But I live in CT!
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Quote from: tadol on May 06, 2009, 09:30:00 AM
#65 is scheduled to arrive today - Am I the last Forum 3 delivery? Are the other 77 all delivered?

Tad
Mr. Tad, we need the review and your A-B of the two models.

Quote from: Daysailer on May 05, 2009, 07:14:07 PM

I wonder of even hex cored strings might be better off if not cut before the windings have chance to loosen and affect the tone.

Sunbeams are very close to the Newtones, at 1/3 the price,  Last pretty good for me too.  3-4 weeks of daily 30-60 mins.

I'll definately need to give these a try. I love the Newtones, although they are spendy. I put some Curt Mangans PB Med Light's on my all hog Forum III and they are a marked improvement over what came standard from Jim. My first experience with Mangan and I'm fairly impressed. It will be fun to experiment with different brands going forward. I ended up leaving the bone saddle in, and while I would have expected the tusq to be more mellow, the all hog exhibits what warm chocate richness that I had originally hoped for. These Forum III's seem to be getting better just with a couple weeks of playing and some new strings. I think 12 months from now, they will really be finding their groove :winkin:

~ Ray ~
Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Martin 0-16NY
Martin 0-18K
Martin 0-17

#65 arrived this afternoon, along with a phone call from my wife letting me know she's lost her job - part of the balance of life, I guess. Glad these are all paid for, and this didn't happen a few weeks ago -

#65 is IS/hog, and I was able to catch it before they drilled it for the bottom pin. Jim says its the only one, but thats neither here nor there. Still had the little piece of green tape on the bottom saying "NO!" so Edwin would know not to drill it - seems like months ago, oh wait, it was -

Randy, Danny - Pics and partial review/comparison coming very soon, but I have to say, any attempt to review or "evaluate" these guitars is tremendously premature. The difference in the tone of #17, IS/RW, in just a month of playing is astounding - BUT, it may be that the strings are getting broken in just as much as the guitar. As much as I will enjoy trying other strings, these still sound so good, and I feel like I just need to play, and play, and play, and play, since the more I play it, the better it gets. With #65 here, I gotta find more time to play, since I am sure its gonna get alot better too - Oh wait, now I have to try and find a job since I don't have a wife to support me anymore - Oh well, it was great while it lasted -

Pics of all up soon -  :winkin:

Tad

Additional meaningless input - I tried putting my Forum3 into my LS-10 case ( thinking it would be a better case for taking it out ). It doesn't fit - the Forum3 is very slightly larger in the bouts - I can't even squeeze it in. So that rules out finding old arch-top LS cases for my Forum 3s. Next stop, Guitar Center, to try some of their different cases to see how close any of them are - not that I could buy one now, but just so I know what to keep an eye out for -  Unless someone else has figured this out?

Tad

My FIII fits perfectly in a classical guitar case.
OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78

Just wanted to take this thread back to impressions and discussions of the Forum III for a second since I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to play one.  Holly of StrawintoGold fame was generous enough to invite me to stop by her home on the way home from work and play her new gem last nite.  The whole little episode rescued me from a 'great' day at the office.  Simple directions from Mapquest, a nice welcome from Holly and her son Gabrial, and a chance to play her new Larrivee for about 20-30 minutes.  The forum designed guitar is lovely.  Certainly a job well done by those on the Forum who created the design and the folks at Larrivee who executed it.  Comfy, exceptionally playable, loud, and it just sang out with a lovely tone.  Very pretty too in a simple presentation that really appealed to me.  If money   were no object, I might have made mine a slothead with the purfing option.  Played it with a pick as I always play.  Flatpicked the few tunes I know from memory - a little old tyme, a little Irish, and a little Bluegrass.  Loved the sound.  Did I say loud?  Since my only spruce top is my parlor, the change in sound from my normal every day playing of hogtops was a treat.    But back to the hospitality - Holly is charming as expected and her boy was nice and friendly.  The dogs were cool too.  Should also mention that I saw the bubinga and played it too.  That is a nice guitar someone should consider acquiring!  Never saw bubinga before.   No doubt about its beauty and tonal quality. 

Maybe a gathering of members at my house this summer and Holly will bring some of her collection of Larrivees to show off and share?  Get her yo mke those cookies we heave heard about to entice folks.

thanks again holly.

jeff
Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)

My pleasure, Jeff. Anytime I can enable, uh, share with another devotee is well spent. Now we just have to see what Forum you end up with...

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Jeff and Holly, this sounds like a very good time. Any Pics? I know some shy from this, but just asking. I'm glad y'all had a good time.

Jeff thanks for the review of the F-III. It does sound like you may own one in the future.