Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here's a few showing the grain on the top, one full pic, the others comparing lower bouts. Another full-body shot. Nice book-matching!
     Jeff   :guitar

[attachment deleted by admin]
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

I didn't play mine for three days this week, and it was in the case tuned to dropped D.  When I took it out it was perfectly in tune still, so I am assuming all of my earlier problems were all due to it settling from the journey around the world.

Tuffy, you mentioned categories.  I can now be shifted to the extatic category now I have bonded with this guitar.  I am GAS free, genuinely.  I have been looking at nice guitars because I thought there was something wrong with me, but I can't get excited about them any more.  Good news for the wallet!!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Jeff,

That's a great looking top on your F3!  Congrats.

Ben,

Watch out for any gas leaks and accidental build up of dangerous levels of gas.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

> On FedEx vehicle for delivery

I love suspense......

There weren't any pictures of mine taken at the factory that I know of.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: bluesman67 on May 01, 2009, 07:48:02 AM

Ben,

Watch out for any gas leaks and accidental build up of dangerous levels of gas.

I still have MAS to keep me on my toes.  One day I will have a mandolin, one day......
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Quote from: BluesMan1 on April 30, 2009, 10:54:30 PM
   Didn't get to do any of the F-III changes I said I was going to do ...

I finally had a chance to play my LS for about 45 mins. & here are some of my first impressions. Like I told Ben when he was having some issues, which
I'm having now for the same reason I told him, the intonation seems off abit & I attribute this to the crappy strings that are on it. Can't stand coated, dull strings. That's the first thing that has to be done. Right now, it is set up as Jim set it, after putting a bone nut on also. I'm having problems with certain strings, not all, as far as intonation, so from experience it sounds like a string change & slot cleaning is needed.

The guitar is so comfortable to play, even though I'm 6'6". It just sits in my lap like it was made for me (hey, it was!) & is easy to play on the fingerboard. I also had no problem adjusting to the shorter neck, actually enjoying it. Plays so easy my blues went away, even when I played them! Had to put it down to spend some "quality time" with my wife.

The sound seemed a little too balanced, especially in the highs. Once again, probably the strings.The bass was much more than I expected, but once I put the non-coated EJ's on, that should make all even better. Just didn't want to put it down, it was so nice to play. My fingers had black on them after I played, telling me they might not have been cleaned well after the nut installation. Not saying anything bad about Jim, just stating a fact. I'll clean the fretboard before I put the strings on. I agree with holly about the sound being a little "tight", but that should go away with time. I was reading my new LMI catalog, & it gave the desriptions of the various Euro spruce varieties. The whitest of all seemed to be the Carpathian/Ukranian spruce, where the Alpine/IS spruce was descibed as "slightly warmer in color than typical IS", but praising it's tonal attitributes. Like holly also said, it seems like a guitar that someone else has been playing for a while & now I own. Don't know if that's what she exactly meant, but besides the "tight" sound of the top, it just had this nice, warm sound to it, not a bright 12 string sound that I still haven't heard yet. Don't know if it was the venue they were jamming in. The new strings will helps bring a brighter sound to it.

I guess until I do my mods to it, I really can't break it down further. Not as blown away as I thought I'd be, the intonation is a slight worry for me (don't want to spend more $ on work), but am hoping the strings & just playing it will help it settle in. I've had weeks old guitars before that played better than this initially, as far as my issues addressed. I'll post some pics, which I tried to keep the red tulip in to compare colors.

More to follow.  Jeff
Your experience is similar to mine, with the LS-03R.  I'm still having a love/non-love relationship with FIII.  As posted earlier, I've got the tusq saddle back in for the bone.  The strings I haven't changed yet.
- Wednesday night I loved the sound and didn't want to put it down. 
- Light fingerpicking made it sound really good.
- Last night I couldn't get or keep it in tune. 
- The bass E string fretted at G was more of a thud than a tone.
- The open G chord was not pleasant.  Intonation is spotty to my ears.
- The bass response is very nice on a guitar this size.
- The G string nut slot is tight, causing some binding which makes tuning problematic.

But, you know, the SD-50 I had was great from the first strum.  Also a 12-fret, it had no intonation issues.  Even the L-03MT I had was more consistent.

So, the EXP's are coming off this weekend and will be replaced by EJ16's. 
(5)
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: BenF on May 01, 2009, 08:12:49 AM
I still have MAS to keep me on my toes.  One day I will have a mandolin, one day......
Get one. They are fun. Nobody regrets getting one. Left hand, er fretting hand is easy. Gives gifts you can take back to guitar.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on May 01, 2009, 09:45:30 AM
Get one. They are fun. Nobody regrets getting one. Left hand, er fretting hand is easy. Gives gifts you can take back to guitar.

It would mean selling my OM-03 though.  I think it is probably fair to say that my next purchace will be a mandolin, but my next purchase might, unfortunately, be some considerable time away.  Such is the current state of things for many people though, so I am not grumbling.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Quote from: BenF on May 01, 2009, 03:44:28 AM
Tuffy, you mentioned categories.  I can now be shifted to the extatic category now I have bonded with this guitar.  I am GAS free, genuinely.  I have been looking at nice guitars because I thought there was something wrong with me, but I can't get excited about them any more.  Good news for the wallet!!
Ben this is what happened to me. I like my Martin and Gibson still, but I don't have any Gas for other gits now, though I do miss my 00-FM.

Re: mando's    I had a nice Webber for a week recently. I was making an ebony rest on the bridge for a friend. I had been considering buying one also. Anyway I can't deal with those tiny necks. My Gibson necks are too small for me as is, so to try and fret with my clumsy, beat up hands is more difficult than I want to attempt.
       My youngest son wants one though, so maybe I'll get one and let him play it. ;-)

Quote from: Randy_R on May 01, 2009, 08:00:51 AM
> On FedEx vehicle for delivery

I love suspense......

There weren't any pictures of mine taken at the factory that I know of.
Randy, the roller coaster ride is over, so now we need a review from the definitive "Larrivee" owner ie. you.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your F-III and hearing your reports. MIne is still the same as I have felt since the first song at the factory. Only I've explored strumming with very good results (beyond expectations) It's not some gleeful feeling of "Happy birthday" or something like that.
                  I feel like I own a seriously nice player, that will only get better as it ages and is played in.

FYI, Bella's sister has arrived, and yes, I know this thread is useless without pictures.

She is not quite as beautiful as her sister, but a lovely guitar none the less.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: BluesMan1 on May 01, 2009, 02:04:58 PM

Also, did all receive a pack of 3 pearloid "Larrivee Forum III Guitar" picks. Haven't heard anything about them, thought some one would bring them up. I got a pack, & if others didn't, I'll post a pic for all to see! Let me know?

The picks were a very generous gift from Photomat. :thumbsup

Give the guitar time Jeff, mine grew on me......... a lot.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Flatlander-  Perhaps for the first time, I have to disagree with you.  The basic barre equivalent on the mando (shown below) is IMPOSSIBLE for me to do.  My friends joke that I need a prosthetic extender joint on my pinky finger to get that top string fretted.  I have to improvise with two finger versions.

I do love the sound of a mandolin...and there are often too many guitar players, so it's nice to be able to mix things up a bit.  I don't play it much though as I'm now focusing on trying to get better at guitar.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: pennerblue on May 01, 2009, 02:49:51 PM
Flatlander-  Perhaps for the first time, I have to disagree with you.  The basic barre equivalent on the mando (shown below) is IMPOSSIBLE for me to do.  My friends joke that I need a prosthetic extender joint on my pinky finger to get that top string fretted.  I have to improvise with two finger versions.

I do love the sound of a mandolin...and there are often too many guitar players, so it's nice to be able to mix things up a bit.  I don't play it much though as I'm now focusing on trying to get better at guitar.
OK that's what happens when you use words like "nobody" ! I don't mind being disagreed with for sure,but.....there
are easier ways to make the chords. For that shape you put up, it does help for bluegrass type chop, but the 4th string doesn't have to be played. You can let it ring open for a G chord or easily mute it for a chop and when shape is used up neck. There are really easy open chords you can make with 2 fingers. If you don't know those and want me to put shapes down (new thread) I'd be glad too. Also how easy it is to change chords since all strings are same interval apart, and in doing see relationships. Just let me know! matt

I can't beleive there are folks who still think there's an impossibility musically and say so to Matt,lol. I only hope to become accomplished enough to ask and learn, much less take in so much of what he's posted. Shoot, i have stuff you've posted that I can 't make heads nor tails of, but, I know it's good info for the future.

Just a little nod to your awesomeness.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: BluesMan1 on May 01, 2009, 02:04:58 PM
   prof_stack, I had absolutely no problems withe SD-50 I got from Jim either. Intonation dead on. My time is not being utilized to put all towards my F-III. Will probably do the string change tomorrow, like you. I'm a little bummed right now with this guitar, not being all I was expecting by all of the posts. Now, I don't know if I believe them all. Some, from peple I know are experienced, others I'm just not sure. Jim told me my guitar was great (his words), but know I'm also thinking of throwing the Tusq nut & sadde back on & then check it. Soemthing went wrong somewhere. Hopefully some minor treaking & string change will take care of all, but not too sure. The buildup I think, from some, was just a reason to post. Not all.
   Also, did all receive a pack of 3 pearloid "Larrivee Forum III Guitar" picks. Haven't heard anything about them, thought some one would bring them up. I got a pack, & if others didn't, I'll post a pic for all to see! Let me know?

This guitar may actually sound better with the original tusq saddle.  Try re-installing it and see if you still feel the same way about it.  When I swapped out the tusq ( I got mine in Vancouver so it didn't get a bone saddle from Jim) for bone it did not sound as good.   If that doesn't help then this just may not be the guitar for you.   Of course, it will never sound like an SD-50 no matter what you do to it.   If you can't appreciate it for what it is then it's best to sell it and move on. The Forum III was not designed to be nor will it ever become "the" guitar for every player.  I have 3 other Larrivees that sound at least as good as my F III but I appreciate it for what it is and I don't condemn it for what it isn't.  I don't know if I'd be satisfied with it as my only guitar.  To me it also has value that can't be measured strictly in terms of tone or  subtle distinctions and comparisons with other guitars.   To use the common phrase of the times  "it is what it is".   Looks like there are going to be some slightly used Forum III's coming on the market soon.   

Quote from: BluesMan1 on May 01, 2009, 04:24:20 PM
   Lynn, just had a PM with a fellow forum member & told him I was going to work piece by piece, starting with the nut. I think you know where this is going. Probably end up with all Tusq by the time I'm done. I'm not kidding , either. A string change will DEFINATLY not solve my problems. Lynn, this guitar fits me like a glove, don't take this wrong, but I know what I'm talking about as far as the intonation. Something you mentioned I think is the problem. You'll figure it out! :thumb Love the sound & platability of it, as long as I play open chords. If I start going up the neck, things just get worse. :?
   And in case you missed it, I got those CD's out to you. Good luck with the one. You'll be able to play all, but I don't think on any CD player.
   I'll PM you later & tell you my thoughts.

Jeff thanks for the cd's looking forward to some new music.   And to you and others who have found the Forum III to be less than you expected I respect your opinions and honest appraisal of your instruments.   I haven't had intonation issues or other problems that have been mentioned.  Larrivee is supposedly known for consistency but perhaps some of the forum III guitars are not up to the level of  the rest.   I readily admit that I was shocked at the poor sound that I got with the bone saddle.  Re-installation of the tusq saddle restored it to the quality I heard when I first picked it up.    Amazing how seemingly small things can make a big difference.   Hope it turns out the way you want it to at some point.

Thanks, for comments Holly, but honestly I just find ways to do things the easy way. Knowing a little about chord structure helps do that. So yea, many things are possible if you know how to cheat.

Lynn,

Have to agree with you about the saddle. I had Bella's changed out for a bone saddle and I hate the tone. Will be changing it back tomorrow.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: flatlander on May 01, 2009, 04:57:08 PM
Thanks, for comments Holly, but honestly I just find ways to do things the easy way. Knowing a little about chord structure helps do that. So yea, many things are possible if you know how to cheat.

No, dear, you find ways to do things. It's an admirable and rarely seen trait. Just bask in the praise a little, will ya?

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: lyric_girl on May 01, 2009, 05:26:51 PM
Lynn,

Have to agree with you about the saddle. I had Bella's changed out for a bone saddle and I hate the tone. Will be changing it back tomorrow.

I have no idea about any of this,lol. Honeslty, I've always changed the saddle to bone because the tusq is so ugly...  What would you say the tone difference is?

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.