Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are we supposed to get a tracking number before or when they ship the guitar out? I'm still patiently waiting.

Robert.

Well, I got my guitar today and here are a few of my observations.  Take with a salt hill because I'm a novice. The top isn't as white as I thought it would be, in fact, I'm going to take a pic of my Bubinga which has the whitest top I have ever seen, next to it. As soon as we get some sun. This is neither here nor there.

I like the rosette. I chose Mahogany purely for practical reasons since I have a RW OM and since seeing the pics of the RW's coming out was sort of kicking myself. Mahogany doesn't thrill me aesthetically, it's nice, but thrilling, not so much. (wait for it....)

Now, this is some pretty fine wood. It has heavy silking like Jagadis's guitar which I nearly swooned over. Hopefully I can capture it on film. it's quite extraordinary and looks expensive. The guitar is also nicely finished with none of the random rough spots I've come to dread and sometimes encounter with the 03 series.

The tuners are kind of hard to turn. But that may be because they are smaller? Or whatever. For some reason i don't hate the mini's. They seem more substantial than the regular size Pings. The strings are, well, I'm not sure. I use Thomastik or D' Addario and they dont' feel like either. Again, neither here nor there. I'm just happy they aren't the eat your fingers Cleartones.

It's a very Goldilocks sort of guitar. I find the L a bit big, the OM a bit small for my arm, the Parlor gave me the She Ra sensation, but this is just right. Is the neck smaller? It feels smaller to me. The 12 fret join did take a little adjusting but that's more comfortable than I thought it would be.

Oh, the sound. That's probably important too.

This is where I can't be of much real help. For some reason it reminds me of Gordon Lightfoot. I even checked by listening to some and yeah, it does. I'm not sure if it's the quality or the whole his voice and guitar or if it's just another part of my quirkiness and inability to sum things up precisely. I know he uses a 12 string so that's not it.

What I'm thinking is that it's the quality of sound. It sounds like I'm playing someone else's guitar that they've played for awhile. It sounds like I've not tapped it's potential. It has the same quality and tonality that acoustic music I listen to (and that's not a lot) has. So perhaps it just resonates on a preference level.

It sounds like something I want to listen to. And yeah, it's loud. I have no fingernails (part of my theory on why there are fewer women guitarists than men) so it's just me and my fleshy digits.

I can't be of more help than that, I don't know enough to say it's the bestest guitar ever or it lacks whatever. It feels like the next guitar I would have gotten when I became more accomplished. I feel there's a lot going on with this guitar that I lack the knowledge to experience or explain at this point. So that's pretty cool.

All that aside, this is a special guitar for reasons unsaid here. To have something that makes you want to be that worthy, wow, that's a gift and I'm thankful.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Holly, you should know that it is an offence to post such comments without pictures! 

I'm gonna come out and say this with the fear of sounding silly, but I have already said to other people that is you shut your eyes and play these guitars gently, there is an almost 12 string like shimmer about them.  Someone said that was even more apparent at the after factory tour jam, that the room jangled like it was full of 12 strings.

Have you removed all the cash, maybe there is some small change in the bottom that is causing this 12 string like anomoly?
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: BenF on April 29, 2009, 04:37:29 PM
Holly, you should know that it is an offence to post such comments without pictures! 

I'm gonna come out and say this with the fear of sounding silly, but I have already said to other people that is you shut your eyes and play these guitars gently, there is an almost 12 string like shimmer about them.  Someone said that was even more apparent at the after factory tour jam, that the room jangled like it was full of 12 strings.

Have you removed all the cash, maybe there is some small change in the bottom that is causing this 12 string like anomoly?

No cash. I'm sure it's being sent in a separate mailing.

That's funny, I thought I was, well, just being me, when it reminded me of Gordon Lightfoot. I'm happy to be in good company.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on April 29, 2009, 04:28:41 PM

"What I'm thinking is that it's the quality of sound. It sounds like I'm playing someone else's guitar that they've played for awhile. It sounds like I've not tapped it's potential. It has the same quality and tonality that acoustic music I listen to (and that's not a lot) has. So perhaps it just resonates on a preference level."

"I can't be of more help than that, I don't know enough to say it's the bestest guitar ever or it lacks whatever. It feels like the next guitar I would have gotten when I became more accomplished. I feel there's a lot going on with this guitar that I lack the knowledge to experience or explain at this point. So that's pretty cool."

"All that aside, this is a special guitar for reasons unsaid here. To have something that makes you want to be that worthy, wow, that's a gift and I'm thankful."

Congrats Holly and enjoy your new guitar.  Your three statements above (I cut and paste from your note) kinda sum up how I feel too.  There is something special but intangible about these guitars and I am still trying to figure it out.  In particular, your comment about lacking the knowledge to understand why this guitar is so good hits the nail on the head.  I know this guitar is good but I too don't know why.  I'm taking my FIII over to show my guitar teacher tonight to see what he thinks.  I'll let everyone know what he has to say later tonight.  One thing i will say...the guitar just feels so right when I sit down and play it.  Fits me like a glove and makes me smile.  Thats not a bad thing  :laughin:

Post some picts when you get a moment...

Jordan.

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

Quote from: hawkeye99 on April 29, 2009, 04:25:22 PM
Are we supposed to get a tracking number before or when they ship the guitar out? I'm still patiently waiting.

Robert.

Robert

Has Jim Holler been on contact with you yet?  Maybe give him a call if you are concerned.  I thought that all the guitars had now at least left the factory.  Jim certainly emailed me a tracking number when he mailed the guitar.  It was nice to be able to track UK customs doing nothing with it for 8 days.  GGGRRRRRR!!!!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: BenF on April 29, 2009, 04:52:38 PM
Robert

Has Jim Holler been on contact with you yet?  Maybe give him a call if you are concerned.  I thought that all the guitars had now at least left the factory.  Jim certainly emailed me a tracking number when he mailed the guitar.  It was nice to be able to track UK customs doing nothing with it for 8 days.  GGGRRRRRR!!!!

Thank you Ben.

Robert

Quote from: hawkeye99 on April 29, 2009, 04:25:22 PM

Robert.

Yes. I got a Fedex tracking number today. Mine is on its way to me.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: Randy_R on April 29, 2009, 06:53:25 PM
Yes. I got a Fedex tracking number today. Mine is on its way to me.

That's great! There's still hope for me then.

Robert

Holly...of the many reviews and observations provided by the FGIII crowd yours is the most thought provoking and insightful.  It made me think about my observations in a slightly different light.  Thanks...hope you enjoy your new guitar for many years to come.

Robert, when Jim ships the git, which is by FedEx, it automates a shipping notice to youe email address. If jim has access to that, you'll get the email. I not, send it to him or call & get the info to track it. Mine was picked up in Jamestown @ 6:00pm Monday & came about 1:00pm today, shipped to East Haven, CT.
   I got mine today, getting it in the house finally after locking myself out for 2 hours. @ least I know you can't break in, even with the windows slightly open. Thet have those safety locks so you can't open them more than 4" when engaged. Finally borrowed some tools from a neghibor when he came home & popped the molding by the lock, then shimmied the lock open. Too easy for a burglar, I realized.
   ANYWAY, I finally got myself & my F-III into a warmer area & let it sit until about 9pm. Took it out of the box & let it sit for another hour before taking it out for all to see, mainly me. My wife said "it looks like all of your other guitars", so I tried to ignore that. Played it for about 15 minutes &, because of the time (my condo has strict rules about "quiet time" from 9pm-9am;I'm on the board, so have have to set an example;it sucks!), decided to let it sit overnight. In the morning I'll really get a chance to look it over. Also will change to EJ-16's & put my new set of bone bridge pins in. The I'll give her a workout!
   Holly, I don't think that it's just you. The top isn't as white as I thought it would be, my A Style Baden from Jim with the Euro Spruce top being a little lighter, I think. But the F-III has some nice silking going on (grain lines), bookmatched nicely. I'm going to have to do the same as you: A/B the tops. For all I know the Baden is also IS, all of Euro coming from the same area of the Alps. After setting it up & playing for a while (?), I'll try to take some pics to post & comments also. It also seemed like the guitar, in the body area, was smaller than the case. Haven't heard any mention of this before with these, but I'll just put a cloth in the case on one side to stabalize it.
   Can't comment on the 12 string effect since I didn't get to really play it much, but what I initially DID notice were the awesome overtones & was amazed @ the harmonics I could get. In places I normally don't. But alas,these first impressions were too short, so sleep must come to me before I can dig into it. I don't name my guitars, but this one is something special & just might get one. I think it's the only guitar that Larrivee has ever put an opposite neck on. I'm not kidding. They had to think & get back to Jim about that one. Makes me wonder what's so damn hard. And holly, please no comments about learning over the "right "way. For me, this is the right way. As I said before, when you mentioned that it shouldn't be too hard to re-learn, take a lefty guitar & turn it around & then you try playing it. Not so easy, is it! :humour:
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Jeff
The reason the case is not an exact fit for your F III is because they are using OM cases.  Thus, not a perfect fit.

Robert, get your tracking # issue resolved yet? :?

Mr._Lv19E, can't find any specs on the Pings anywhere to compare to the first ones (cheaper than the 2nd) that you posted. They look like the'd fit, but can't be sure until I compare the specs. Will have to do some more research. But the first ones look like the best buy of the 2. Thanks. Will let you know if I find specs & what i come up with.
     Jeff  :guitar

Quote from: BluesMan1 on April 30, 2009, 11:04:05 AM
   Robert, get your tracking # issue resolved yet? :?

I'm just assuming it hasn't been shipped yet. The guitar was accidentally shipped to Jim Holler when it was supposed to be direct shipped to Prince Edward Island. I emailed Jim on the 24th stating my concern regarding brokerage fees. Haven't heard back yet. I'll wait abit longer before doing anything else.

Robert

Re: replacement tuners -  These seem to be the best "drop-in" option from Gotoh. I was trying to get enough interest to get a really good price on a bulk purchase, but there was very little response.

The pictures show the back of the Forum3 headstock. I have not ordered these, but they seem to line up perfectly. Installing the larger tuners ( 510s ) should just need a small pilot hole for the screw, but I do not know how much of the old hole may be visible.

Tad

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

How about these Gotoh SVG510
If someone wanted '510' quality.
Taylor 310CE, Eastman E10D, Blueridge BR-160, Eastman T486

Quote from: dragon1952 on April 30, 2009, 08:49:48 PM
How about these Gotoh SVG510
If someone wanted '510' quality.

Mounting hole is offset on these compared to the in-line position of the mini pings.  See Tadol's picture for an illustration of this point.   I'm sure there are several different replacement tuners that would work if you don't mind drilling new mounting holes and possibly having old holes show.

Actually the SGV510 and SGV510Z look the same a tadol's pics.
Taylor 310CE, Eastman E10D, Blueridge BR-160, Eastman T486

Didn't get to do any of the F-III changes I said I was going to do today. The damn guitar came yesterday, had a bad day, played it for about 15 mins. last night, & thought I'd get the strings changed & new bone pins put in. My wife's list of thing for me to do took up my whole day, besides my daily nap. But Lynn, got your CD's out in my running around. I finally took some photos before I had to grill up diner, but they were too bright. Waited until about 6:30, when I finally had some time of my own, to take some more pics. Came out a little better, but still love film pics. Just can't see them until you develope them.
   I finally had a chance to play my LS for about 45 mins. & here are some of my first impressions. Like I told Ben when he was having some issues, which I'm having now for the same reason I told him, the intonation seems off abit & I attribute this to the crappy strings that are on it. Can't stand coated, dull strings. That's the first thing that has to be done. Right now, it is set up as Jim set it, after putting a bone nut on also. I'm having problems with certain strings, not all, as far as intonation, so from experience it sounds like a string change & slot cleaning is needed.
The guitar is so comfortable to play, even though I'm 6'6". It just sits in my lap like it was made for me (hey, it was!) & is easy to play on the fingerboard. I also had no problem adjusting to the shorter neck, actually enjoying it. Plays so easy my blues went away, even when I played them! Had to put it down to spend some "quality time" with my wife.
   The sound seemed a little too balanced, especially in the highs. Once again, probably the strings.The bass was much more than I expected, but once I put the non-coated EJ's on, that should make all even better. Just didn't want to put it down, it was so nice to play. My fingers had black on them after I played, telling me they might not have been cleaned well after the nut installation. I agree with holly about the sound being a little "tight", but that should go away with time. I was reading my new LMI catalog, & it gave the desriptions of the various Euro spruce varieties. The whitest of all seemed to be the Carpathian/Ukranian spruce, where the Alpine/IS spruce was descibed as "slightly warmer in color than typical IS", but praising it's tonal attitributes. Like holly also said, it seems like a guitar that someone else has been playing for a while & now I own. Don't know if that's what she exactly meant, but besides the "tight" sound of the top, it just had this nice, warm sound to it, not a bright 12 string sound that I still haven't heard yet. Don't know if it was the venue they were jamming in. The new strings will helps bring a brighter sound to it.
   I'll post some pics, which I tried to keep the red tulip in to compare colors.
   More to follow.
   # 47

[attachment deleted by admin]