Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: highervista on April 28, 2009, 03:02:04 AM
My impressions about the FIII:

What I have: #22, hog b/s, cut-away, herringbone purfling, installed i-Mix. Great set-up by Trinity guitars, BTW (thanks!).

I love the way this guitar sounds and at the price that I paid.... wow. What I don't like: the tuners. I use a lot of open tunings and these tuners (Ping tuners?) aren't my cup of tea. They will hold one tuning (like standard tuning) just fine, but I switch around tunings quite a lot, especially playing out, these tuners just don't seem to work well. I'm playing out this weekend and was planning to take the FIII exclusively, but the tuner thing really bothers me... I'll probably take the FIII and a Huss and Dalton OM (as a backup to the FIII) if I find myself frustrated with this. I'll swap the tuners out on the FIII soon.  Enough said (my 2 cents of course  -- others may not have the same tuner "OCD" that I have).

The guitar is well built, sounds better than another custom OM (name not mentioned) that I had built for twice the $. Satin finish on the entire body -- my first experience and I think this will work our nicely.

Ron

Congrats Ron.  I don't like the pings all that much either, but when I change tunings I am not having the issues you are.  I do notice that to Schaller's or Gotoh are easier to get into tune because the gear ratio makes it easy to hit your target.  On these pings, I tend to tune right past the pitch and then readjust a couple times.  But they are always holding the pitch for me.  If you have a bad set of tuners maybe Larrivee can send you a set to swap with out with.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

That's an interesting point regarding alternate tunings and would jive with Ben's experience. I can't stand the Pings for a few reasons and they will go asap. Anyone got a spare set set of Schallers they'd want to barter for?

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

It really blows that Larrivee decided to use the ping mini's on the FIII's because there really isn't a replacement tuner that I like that would drop in without having to fill holes.  I even have a real nice new set of Gotoh 510s that I bought for my FIII because I assumed they would drop right in and replace the standard pings.  Oh well, mine work fine and the Gotoh's have graced my FI guitar.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

These look like they would work
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Or maybe these
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Tadol can advise on which size Gotohs drop in.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Minis? Did I miss (yet again) something? That bumps the cost up for sure. I guess I'll use the cash my guitar (that is arriving tommorrow)is stuffed with to replace them.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

are you guys having problems with your tuners?

I am very satisfied with my tuning machines!

I wouldn't want to change a thing on mine :)
Jeffrey

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on April 28, 2009, 11:00:32 AM
These look like they would work

YES they would.  There are a set of Gotohs out there that works too, I can't remember the model but there's a thread about it...but neither of these have an aesthetic improvement the way the 510's would.

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on April 28, 2009, 11:05:45 AM
Or maybe these
Nope.  Those are the 510s and they definitely don't work, I speak from 1st hand experience.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

Quote from: strawintogold on April 28, 2009, 11:52:45 AM
Minis? Did I miss (yet again) something? That bumps the cost up for sure. I guess I'll use the cash my guitar (that is arriving tommorrow)is stuffed with to replace them.

holly

What were you expecting, Waverly's?  :roll
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

Gotoh SG 360's are the Schaller M-^ mini knock off':

[attachment deleted by admin]
OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78

I don't have an issue whatsoever with how the guitar was delivered and even the use of pings. I typically replace tuners after some time anyway. I've burned through 3 sets of Grovers over my 35 years of playing ... please don't mistake my impression as negative. Because of my constant tuning (I use at least 13 tunings and will retune quickly between songs) and my requirements for tuners may be different than some players. I love the way that the FIII was built, set-up, and delivered. It sounds great. The tuners are really my issue... due to how and what tunes I play. This is a beautiful sounding guitar and it's a keeper. 

BTW, I ordered some mini-Schaller's on eBay that someone had used.

Hope everyone is enjoying the guitar as much as I am.

Ciao, Ron :+1:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Ron McFarland
highervista

Quote from: bluesman67 on April 28, 2009, 01:05:15 PM
What were you expecting, Waverly's?  :roll

Nope. I was expecting Schaller.

I went to StewMac, I could have sworn they had less expensice Schaller tuners, all black for about $35. That's where I bought all my previous replacement tuners. But now they just have the three. Hmmm.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

Nevermind, I'm thinking of these http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Gotoh_Large_Schaller-style_Knob_Tuners.html but those won't work.

I'm a little fried, my bank (the one run by a man with no soul, apprently) just charged me $35 because my account was short 90 cents. I'd like to sing him a tune....

No matter, so it's mini's then.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

Sorry to hear that. As Mark Twain once said: "A banker is someone who will loan you an umbrella when the sun is shining and ask you to give it back when it starts raining."

Did Mark say it was OK to stick the umbrella through his cold, black heart? And then twist it? Cause I'm all over that...

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

Joseph, found a thread from years ago with a post made by Matt Larrivee,Admin., with 218 posts! Long time ago, but he swears by the Pingwells (Pings), all versions included. He included a thread, but it didn't work to take you to it. here it is. Good luck!
www.larriveeforum.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2at=42
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Page isn't showing any more. Google Pingwell tuners & see what you get. Some mention of being used on Baby Taylors & Big Baby Taylors.
   Sorry. :?
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Quote from: strawintogold on April 28, 2009, 03:44:51 PM

my bank (the one run by a man with no soul, apprently)

No need to explain the obvious.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Quote from: strawintogold on April 28, 2009, 04:13:06 PM
Did Mark say it was OK to stick the umbrella through his cold, black heart? And then twist it? Cause I'm all over that...

holly

I think Twain would have been fine with that. He became quite the misanthropist later in life...

I have an umbrella you can borrow.

Any bank that would do that doesn't deserve yours or anyone else's business.

Mike