Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: BluesMan1 on April 21, 2009, 12:24:23 PM
   I knew that. Just had to add my 2cents worth of trying to be humorous! :thumb
     Jeff
   Lynn, also got your mailing. My wife is out buying a blackie for it! Thanks again! Let me know were your musical tastes lie. I might have something I can burn for you. And IMO, "Starless & Bibleblack" was the best Crimson LP. Yes, LP!. Ever hear of 'Animal Logic"? Stanley Clarke, Stewart Copeland, & some Canadian songwriter that sings & writes. She showed them her songs & the band was formed! They have 2 CD's, A.L. #1 & A.L.#2. Cool music with interesting lyrics. We all can get something out of them. Let me know. :wave
     Jeff   :guitar

Jeff,  Hope the iron-on looks good when you get it on there.  I'd like to see a picture of how yours looks if it comes out good.   I still haven't got myself a new black T to put one on yet. You don't need to repay me in any way but if you'd like to burn a cd that'd be great.   Surprise me.

ditto for my f-III and my om-03. Three days after changing strings and the intonation is perfect. I think it takes time for the string to form a settled kink over the saddle.  Now it stays in tune and intonates properly, I am really loving this guitar.  The thicker neck really really suits my hands, and the thing just sounds fantastic.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: BenF on April 23, 2009, 09:39:32 AM
ditto for my f-III and my om-03. Three days after changing strings and the intonation is perfect. I think it takes time for the string to form a settled kink over the saddle.  Now it stays in tune and intonates properly, I am really loving this guitar.  The thicker neck really really suits my hands, and the thing just sounds fantastic.

Very good.  We shall move you from the "cautiously optimistic but concerned" list to the "Satisfied Customer" list.     I believe some are still in the "had high hopes but currently dissapointed" list.  Hope those individuals can make it to the "Totally Satisfied" list at some point.  If not, those Forum III's may end up on "Craig's List".

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on April 23, 2009, 08:59:35 AM
Jim set my action low like my other guitars and the saddle is quite a bit higher than my other Larrivee's.  So I'm sure the neck angle is a little different, which is great for the way I play.
Oh yea, Higher saddle looks healthier to me when action is still good.  :+1:
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Out of interest, does anyone have a forum III in the same or similar wood comos to an L body.  I would be interested to know what the comparison is, having never played an L.  The overall volume and bass surprises me, and it does get louder and better by the day.  It makes my OM seem very very quiet, and is more comaprable to the D-09 I had (although obviously not that loud or bassy).  Just interested in a direct comparison between the LS 12 fret and the L 14 fret in tone.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Ben, Jim emailed me this morning & told me mine was in & he'd set it up tomorrow & ship it. Asked him to wait 'till tomorrow to transfer funds. :crying: Knew it would come down to that, but such is life. Called him & asked him if he had any probs with the saddles, nuts, & tuners. He said he was aware of some things from posts on the forum, but he said all that came through him went out with no intonation probs. Seems to be just on the direct ship guitars. Also said he has had no problems with the tuners & once he showed people that came by for their F-III's how to tune a guitar properly, all was set. No tuning issues.
   Once I get mine, I'll post a comparison between my L-10 & the F-III. Might not be fair to compare a brand new guitar with a 15+ yr./old one. I'll let you know how it goes. The L-10 also has Schallers, so there  is a difference in the ratio of the tuners (18:1 on the Schallers, 14:1 on the mini Pings). And quality, IMO. Sorry about the confusion of your saddle. Now I remember the thread was about the -03 series.
   Flatlander, I flatpick, so I saked Jim to set up the action medium-low, because I play alot of blues & do hammer-ons & pull-offs. Do you think this is about right for my style with these F-III's? He set my SD-50 perfect, but he can't remember every setup he has done.
   Lynn, how does Madeleine Peyroux's "Dreamland" sound? Cool voice, & cool playing on a '43 Martin O-17 (all HOG!; right up your alley!)? You can read about her in AG mag. issue Feb. '08. Let me know. If not that, I'll do the "Animal Logic #2"; like that one a lttle better than #1. When I put the decal on, I'll post a pic for all to show off your high-end artwork!
     Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Quote from: BluesMan1 on April 23, 2009, 01:32:13 PM
    Called him & asked him if he had any probs with the saddles, nuts, & tuners. He said he was aware of some things from posts on the forum, but he said all that came through him went out with no intonation probs. Seems to be just on the direct ship guitars. Also said he has had no problems with the tuners & once he showed people that came by for their F-III's how to tune a guitar properly, all was set. No tuning issues.

Now I feel bad.  Can I clarify that the guitar had no intonation issies when I got it, it just wouldn't stay in tune.  Jim had set it up GREAT!  I am fully prepared to admit that the tuning issue was probably my fault.  Only when I changed out the strings did the intonation issue raise its head, and I think it was down to the new strings taking a long time to settle in, possibly because of the angle at the saddle.  The set up Jim did makes the guitar play incredibly smoothly!  I never complained about the saddle, I just noted it was much higher than my other guitars. 

I know I am ignorant, I was just searching for an explanation, not dissing the set up in any way.   Maybe I am being paranoid about being misinterpreted, but I have no access to a luthier, so thought the forum was the ideal place for answers.

Congrats on your forum III being with JH.  Not long now!!!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Ben, as I had suggested earlier, changing the strings would be your best bet to start with. Glad it worked. I'm still confused about the e string tuning prob. I think if it was the tuner, it would be slipping out of tune in a uniform fashion. Might just be a fret or frets that aren't seated properly. Or your capo use. Wouldn't do it myself. I'd wait to have a luthier look @ it & just play it & ignore the prob for now. But I would have the frets checked. See if you notice that any aren't seated all the way in the prob areas. Good luck!
     Jeff

Last night the LS-03R (day 5) wouldn't sound good to my ears so I put a capo on the 5th fret and loosened the strings enough to get the ends out and the bone saddle replaced with the original tusq saddle.  Tuned it up and took it for a spin.

Different timbre of sound but the strummed chords sounded better to my ears.  The notes seem to blend together better and have a little less string separation than the bone saddle produces.  Its too early to say the tusq is better, so I'll play a bunch more and report back.

So, how many FIII owners have tusq saddles in place? 

Play it daily for best results.

Flatlander, I flatpick, so I saked Jim to set up the action medium-low, because I play alot of blues & do hammer-ons & pull-offs. Do you think this is about right for my style with these F-III's? He set my SD-50 perfect, but he can't remember every setup he has done.
       Jeff
If you're asking me about string height. Yea. Personal preference. I'm lucky. The Gallagher I would usually use for bluegrass, plays like butter. action isn't super low, in fact I put a new saddle on it to raise strings even though they weren't buzzing. Not too high though. For flatpickin to me low action is more about plain speed than Hammer-ons and pull-offs.
For blues and boogie type stuff, even if I'm flatpickin, I like the L-10 because it responds so well to vibrato
and you can really get some stinging sounds out of it. It's set higher but  doesn't bother me with hammer-ons or pull-offs. It does make it a little harder to play fast and clean but for that kinda stuff it's more about grinding out the feeling than speed.  L-10 sounds great fingerpicked too. That's the thing about it. Versatile. Responds to how you play it.
I never fine tuned the 000-60 and its on the high side.
In general I don't like too low of action as it seems to hurt tone/volume. I have very little tolerance for buzzing as well. But I want to be able to get around on it as well, so medium low. that sounds good.
One thing I've been wondering about lately.......It seems a lot of people equate high action to flatpicking and low to fingerpicking. As I get more into fingerpicking lately, I do not find that it allows for lower action. An individual being string being plucked hard by a finger seems to actually need more room in order not to buzz.
I'm sure I'm playing too hard as well. For one thing because that's what I tend to do, and for another I tend to play too hard til I really get something down. Then it mellows. I'm still forcing fingerpicking some.

Quote from: BluesMan1 on April 23, 2009, 01:48:12 PM
   Ben, as I had suggested earlier, changing the strings would be your best bet to start with. Glad it worked. I'm still confused about the e string tuning prob. I think if it was the tuner, it would be slipping out of tune in a uniform fashion. Might just be a fret or frets that aren't seated properly. Or your capo use. Wouldn't do it myself. I'd wait to have a luthier look @ it & just play it & ignore the prob for now. But I would have the frets checked. See if you notice that any aren't seated all the way in the prob areas. Good luck!
     Jeff

The intonation issue has gone, I don't understand it at all, but I am a happy chap now.  I was just speculating about why it happened when I restrung.  I was NOT having a go at Jim Holler, and whether you mean it or not, that is what your last couple of posts insinuate - please don't misunderstand why I posted what I did.  I regret asking the questions now, but this forum has been a constant source of knowledge for my stupid questions.

The guitar was PERFECT when I got it.  What went thereafter was most likely my fault entirely, hence why I sought advice.

I'll keep my mouth (keyboard) shut in future.  I'll go back to playing my guitar.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

It's cool Ben. I think he may have confused an audio tuner with string tuner. And I don't understand how a loose fret would change intonation unless it loosed itself up or down the fret board anyway. Buzz yes, intonation don't understand.

Quote from: BenF on April 23, 2009, 02:42:50 PM
The intonation issue has gone, I don't understand it at all, but I am a happy chap now.  I was just speculating about why it happened when I restrung.  I was NOT having a go at Jim Holler, and whether you mean it or not, that is what your last couple of posts insinuate - please don't misunderstand why I posted what I did.  I regret asking the questions now, but this forum has been a constant source of knowledge for my stupid questions.

The guitar was PERFECT when I got it.  What went thereafter was most likely my fault entirely, hence why I sought advice.

I'll keep my mouth (keyboard) shut in future.  I'll go back to playing my guitar.

Ben,

Take a DEEP breath.....

You weren't out of line and this is what the Forum is for. It will take awhile but in time maybe we'll actually get used to not being reamed for asking questions about Larrivee or questioning it's manufactor. I think every answer for awhile has been quite helpful. It's all good.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Jeff
Madeleine Peyroux sounds interesting.   I would appreciate that.   

Quote from: flatlander on April 23, 2009, 02:41:39 PM
One thing I've been wondering about lately.......It seems a lot of people equate high action to flatpicking and low to fingerpicking. As I get more into fingerpicking lately, I do not find that it allows for lower action. An individual being string being plucked hard by a finger seems to actually need more room in order not to buzz.
I'm sure I'm playing too hard as well. For one thing because that's what I tend to do, and for another I tend to play too hard til I really get something down. Then it mellows. I'm still forcing fingerpicking some.

I occasionally play to hard but most time I finger pick lightly and strum either with my fingernail or the skin on the side of my thumb, low action works well for me using this method.  If I use a flat pick to pick or strum it's usually the low E that buzzes because of my tendency to hit it harder, if I played like that all the time I would want my action higher.

Matt are you fingerpicking with nail or flesh?  Or a little of both?
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Ben, i didn't mean to insinuate any thing about Jim & you. I didn't even know you had him set your's up until your previous post. You're getting like me: taking things too personal or reading into things too much. Never said anything about Jim's setup or your complaining about it. When you get a new guitar & things start happening, it's normally something you did & easily fixed. And you tend to fixate on it, because it drives you nuts. Again, I'm not referring to YOU directly, just a general you. I've done it before, think alot have, but calm down. I'm not attacking anyone. I would get Jeremy & his trusty sword for that! :humour:
   No question is stupid. None. They shouldn't be taken that way, by you or anyone. That's where being elitist would take over. Ask away. Some one will have an answer for you. Don't read so deep into the posts. Just because I started out speaking to you doesn't mean the whole post was directed @ you. I didn't, I'll repeat it, I didn't mention anything about Jim's setup. Like I said, I didn't even know he did it. Do me a small favor, quote me where i said what you're saying, Then I will apologize, which I did already for something I didn't even do. I DID mention in another post that you should change your strings first, on every guitar, before doing anything else. Too much coffee today? :humour: Relax, everything's cool. Really, it is. No foul, nor harm.
   Flatlander, I was only suggesting something because probably, yes, I was thinking of the tuning machine itself. That's the way it sounded. And a loose fret will cause buzz, but can also through off the contact point for the strings. They need to be seated properly to not be a factor. It's funny, Jim always does the same thing with the height of the strings. Tells me the SD is set low for fingerstyle, so for flatpicking, I want a medium setting. Had to tell him no, the medium low is best. I like a lower action, but not where buzzing is a factor. He was the first that I had heard refer to height that way.
   And Ben, again, never referred to Jim about the setup, was ignorant to the fact that he did it, & thought yours was a direct ship guitar.
   And Lynn, on a nice relaxed note, you got it. Just give me a few days, please? :thumb
     Jeff

Thanks Jeff

Called him & asked him if he had any probs with the saddles, nuts, & tuners. He said he was aware of some things from posts on the forum, but he said all that came through him went out with no intonation probs.

This is the bit I was referring to - makes it look like Jim clearly thinks I have a problem with his set up, and you have been discussing it.  I appreciate that you didn't realise this was the case with my guitar, but that is how it looks.  To be clear, my last post is not a go at you, nor is this, I just feel that the way things have been worded, I need to clear my name.

:cheers
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

I couldn't be happier with my LS-03MH. But after becoming accustomed to playing the wider necked LSV-11 I am having to clean up my fingering.

I love the direct and matter of fact crispness of mahogany. Jim's setup was perfect for me. I have enough string height to strum in my normal style. For this guitar a thinner pick works very well.

I posted some pics in the Pictures area, http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=26590.msg241562#msg241562

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

:nice guitar: Norman - congratulations.  The neck and string spacing is different to all other guitars I have played, but after a week with it, I absolutely love it.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Norm

Your guitar looks great!  I am still figuring out if I want a pickguard (Clear or Regular or none at all). I really like how your pickguard blends in pretty well and does not distract from the character of the wood.

I really like the coloring of your mahogany.

Jim sent me an email saying my all Hog LS looks amazing.  Better yet, I got a tracking number!  Woo Hoo!
FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String