Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Update on my tuning issues, if anyone is interested.  I bit the bullet and ditched the new strings (I hate throwing out new strings!) and put on my usual Newtone Masterclass Custom .012 - .054 set, and it stays in tune even though they haven't had time to stretch in properly yet.  real noticable difference.  I did note that the G string was very tight in the nut slot, but that the Newtone one (.024) was a smoother fit.  Is it possible that the D'addario EJ16 (coated or uncoated) has a slightly thicker G string than the Cleartones, and therefore the nuts are a little tight on all the forum guitars? 

Fingers crossed it is problem solved.  The Newtones sound really bright on it, I hope they settle down a bit, because I am completely out of strings now!!!

Ben
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: BluesMan1 on April 20, 2009, 01:43:02 PM
   VS- I have unlimited long-distance calling, which I thought was US & Canada. My wife saw the bill, told her what happened, & just another reason for her to B**** about my guitar thing. She has her hobbies, like shopping for Coach purses & getting diamonds from our "personal" jeweler, but my hobby is also my passion. She doesn't get it. I get spanked verbally alot. Too bad not physically! :humour:
   Will have to email Larrivee with my request again, in case it got lost in all of the solicitor's mail!
     Jeff   :guitar

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the spanking, or lack thereof. Maybe you two could work something out....ya know...."honey, I've been very, veeeery bad today, I bought another (guitar, purse, etc) and I need to be disciplined..."

Let us know how it goes. Pictures are always helpful. 

Mike

VS, sick minds think alike. I don't have a camcorder, but here's a pic of me after a physical wacking! That's joy you see on my face! :humour:

[attachment deleted by admin]
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Quote from: BluesMan1 on April 20, 2009, 03:54:05 PM
   VS, sick minds think alike. I don't have a camcorder, but here's a pic of me after a physical wacking! That's joy you see on my face! :humour:

Whew. There's gotta be a blues song in there somewhere.

"I went down to the dominatrix, fell down on my knees..."

I suspect the mods will be spanking us soon if we don't get back to talking about guitars.

Mike

Mike, I KNOW you're bad and have a twisted mind, but Jeff, I'm SO surprised at your behaviour! :roll
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: BenF on April 20, 2009, 02:17:39 PM
Update on my tuning issues, if anyone is interested.  I bit the bullet and ditched the new strings (I hate throwing out new strings!) and put on my usual Newtone Masterclass Custom .012 - .054 set, and it stays in tune even though they haven't had time to stretch in properly yet.  real noticable difference.  I did note that the G string was very tight in the nut slot, but that the Newtone one (.024) was a smoother fit.  Is it possible that the D'addario EJ16 (coated or uncoated) has a slightly thicker G string than the Cleartones, and therefore the nuts are a little tight on all the forum guitars? 

Fingers crossed it is problem solved.  The Newtones sound really bright on it, I hope they settle down a bit, because I am completely out of strings now!!!

Ben
Sounds good Ben. I wander what it was about the strings?  Maybe it's a combo of getting used to climate?
Or    Who cares, it stays in tune now! Enjoy your new "in tune" guitar.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Good to hear the problem had such a simple solution. I would also like to try new strings, but I hate to not get full use out of a set before changing them. Unless they sound REALLY bad - and these EXPs don't sound too bad at all -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Lynda, Mike made me do it . He really did. I'm not like that. Normally. Only on weekends! :wink:  Boredom adds spice to your life, & your wife. That's why they make Allspice, for all occassions! Here they come! :cop: Like I've said before, wipe that d*** smile off your face!

Let's talk guitars. Yea?

Quote from: BluesMan1 on April 20, 2009, 07:05:17 PM
   Lynda, Mike made me do it . He really did.  (snip)

Quote from: BluesMan1 on April 20, 2009, 07:15:38 PM
   Let's talk guitars. Yea?

Well, especially if you're gonna start shifting blame here. Or credit. Whichever.

I think the members of this forum generally prefer a different kind of enabling, or at least I thought they did.  :blush:

Mike

Take your pick. I didn't mention the word "dominatrix" first, though. OOP's, just did! It was a moment of madness on both of our parts, so let's just drop it & get back yo business. :wacko:
   I can't wait to get my LS-03 HOG HB. There, now it's your turn. I'm #47(108570), by the way, with a righty body & lefty neck. Play backwards. Upside-down. That might explain things...

Quote from: BluesMan1 on April 20, 2009, 07:47:36 PM
   Take your pick. I didn't mention the word "dominatrix" first, though. OOP's, just did! It was a moment of madness on both of our parts, so let's just drop it & get back yo business. :wacko:
   I can't wait to get my LS-03 HOG HB. There, now it's your turn. I'm #47(108570), by the way, with a righty body & lefty neck. Play backwards. Upside-down. That might explain things...

Ah, reminds me of one of my favourite Dylan quotes:

"Now everything's a little upside down, as a matter of fact the wheels have stopped
What's good is bad, what's bad is good, you'll find out when you reach the top..."

-Idiot Wind, from Blood on the Tracks

Nothing to do with the current situation of course, as there have been no bitter partings, from dominatrixs or otherwise. As so often with His Bobness, it is the sound of it, the way he sings the words, and the individual turns of phrase I am drawn to, rather than the larger story, which in this case remains as oblique as ever despite the obviously pointed words.

Interesting combination of body parts on your guitar, and welcome to the all-hog club. I've been gaining a steady appreciation for mine (#52, pure lefty, eventually). She's very well-mannered, refined and elegant, much like the Leonard Cohen concert I was fortunate enough to attend last night. Responds best to gentle persuasion and caresses, but gives nothing away and allows you to hide nothing. I anticipate a long, passionate affair, with nary a spanking in sight, though she also responds well to more enthusiastic overtures.

Mike

I'm more of a Blood on the Coal kinda gal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3J-_fAavm4&feature=related

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Mike, I think you must be a very bad boy in need of a spanking or two. :roll
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Mike, I somehow left out the IS in front of the HOG. Sorry about the confusion. And you apparently already welcomed me to the "all hog" club, if you catch my drift! :tongue:

And Lynda, what, more spanking on this thread? I'm soooo surprised by your statement. You're that kinda girl? 1-900-Callmee? :thumb

Quote from: BluesMan1 on April 20, 2009, 07:47:36 PM

Jeff
your topsy turvy half-breed guitar has caused a few problems in Vancouver.  I saw Edwin scratch his head and then proceed to put on the tuners with the post facing the back of the headstock on yours when I was there.   :roll

Mike
Like you I am a fan of the well-turned Dylan lyric.     One of my personal favorites is "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"   Also I like "She's a hypnotist collector you are a walking antique"      I'm also a Leonard Cohen fan for the same reason;  the lyrics just suck you in.

From "One of us cannot be wrong"..............    "but you stand there so nice in your blizzard of ice Oh please let me come into the storm"

These two guys are probably the biggest influences on my own songwriting.   

I knew there was a reason I liked you, pithiness aside. Leonard Cohen is why I bought a guitar. The you can figure out the next forever trying to figure out how the hell he's playing it. Not very many old guys could pull off 'I'm Your Man' and 'Take This Waltz' is the pull over in the car song.

I was destiend to be a weirdo when I was th only stoner chick who at fourteen had a Cohen record. That and 'In the Court of The Crimson King' but that was an acid thing,lol.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on April 21, 2009, 10:29:43 AM
I knew there was a reason I liked you, pithiness aside. Leonard Cohen is why I bought a guitar. The you can figure out the next forever trying to figure out how the hell he's playing it. Not very many old guys could pull off 'I'm Your Man' and 'Take This Waltz' is the pull over in the car song.

I was destiend to be a weirdo when I was th only stoner chick who at fourteen had a Cohen record. That and 'In the Court of The Crimson King' but that was an acid thing,lol.

holly

I have a feeling our record collections would be very similar.   Nobody can get inside my head like Cohen.
And of course, King Crimson was a must for acid-heads in the late 60's.

Lynn, I hope you're only kidding about the neck issue. But then again, a little head scratching just allows for more time for thought!. Just put the neck on like it's suppossed to go & stop scratching your head! Not you. Edwin! Maybe that's why I haven't gotten mine yet. He's still scratching his head!
   Jennifer Warnes has a CD called "Famous Blue Raincoat", which are songs of Cohen. Has some sweet stuff on there (her voice & arrangments) besides the lyrics. Noticed that not all, but almost all, were Cohen songs. Deep. "A singer must die for the lie in his voice". Makes you think. :?