Pages: 1 ... 25 [26] 27 ... 52   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum III impressions and discussion  (Read 114976 times)
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: April 17, 2009, 05:54:01 PM »

FYI:  Matthew replied that the strings are EXP16s.  Coated, phosphor bronze.  Thanks..  Adam
Good to know.  I just re-stringed my '74 LoPrinzi (SS, EIR) with EJ16s for a closer comparison of it and the new LS-03R.

Looks like a few of us NW'erners are heading to PhotoMat's tomorrow for a 6-string pickin' and grinnin' session. 
I'll try to have the FIII played-in by then.   

Play it daily for best results.
photomat

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: April 17, 2009, 06:15:19 PM »

Good to know.  I just re-stringed my '74 LoPrinzi (SS, EIR) with EJ16s for a closer comparison of it and the new LS-03R.

Looks like a few of us NW'erners are heading to PhotoMat's tomorrow for a 6-string pickin' and grinnin' session. 
I'll try to have the FIII played-in by then.   

I just broke a string, so I will restring mine with EJ16's as well.  (that seems to be my string of choice lately).  If anyone else in the Seattle area wants to join in tomorrow at 2:30 send me a pm.

FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String
Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: April 17, 2009, 06:29:54 PM »

FYI:  Matthew replied that the strings are EXP16s.  Coated, phosphor bronze.
Adam

Having used Elixir's exclusively for several years, I don't know the D'addario designations. What's the difference between EXP, EJ and PB's?

Hope you Seattle types have fun tomorrow...

...for anyone in the Vancouver area, there's a little jam at my place tonight. PM me if we haven't met and you'd like details...

Cheers, Mike
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: April 17, 2009, 06:45:29 PM »

Mike, fellow southpaw, I wish I could make it but I'm a bit far away in NC, USA.  If you have been using Elixir's for years, you should try out some new strings...I think you will be pleasantly surprised by what you hear and you may find an overnight improvement in your guitar's tone.  Maybe...strings are of course subjective and the best set for one guitar isn't necessarily optimal for another.  Anyways, you are asking about EXP, EJ and PB.

EXP - D'Addario's coated strings = Elixir.  Personally, I prefer the EXP tone to the Elixir.  The EXP is a coated phospher/bronze string.  I like these for my Yamaha and Stella, guitars I don't play much and when I do, I often play slide because the action is high on them and these strings tend to be a bit brighter than the EJ's.  I also like EXP16's (.016-.064 guage) on my tricone resonator.

EJ - These are D'Addario's uncoated phospher/bronze strings.  I buy EJ16(light) and EJ17(med) depending on the guitar.

PB = phospher/bronze.  Considered a warm sounding metal for strings.

The nice thing about the EJ's is that you can find a good resource and buy sets for about $3.50 each on the internet w/ free shipping.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: April 17, 2009, 07:43:27 PM »

Just had to pipe up on this one. Remember, I'm still a newbie, but I much prefer Elixirs over Daddario EXPs. I find the sound far superior. Again, don't ask me why, because I really can't explain this stuff yet!

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
GeeNorm

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: April 17, 2009, 07:52:03 PM »

Lynda, I recall a time in the sweet and distant past when subjective opinions could be given without apology. Please may those days return.

I received my LS-03 today. May not post pictures. May not review. (Being just a little faceteous.)

I like it a lot. Matter of fact and to the point ... the guitar, I mean.

Pictures tomorrow when I retrieve my digital camera from my wife's car.

Stay on the sunny side of life!

Norman

Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}
Alpione

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: April 17, 2009, 07:58:11 PM »

I just broke a string, so I will restring mine with EJ16's as well. 

I've got some EJ16s lying around at home and I'm going to put some on the LSV-03 this evening.  Should give a nice comparison of coated vs uncoated phosphor bronze.  I'm not usually a big fan of coated strings and their tone (or lack thereof, to me.)  But I haven't done a direct comparison in a long time.

Next step - put on some EJ11s to see how uncoated 80/20s will work out.  Should be brighter and clearer than the PBs; just have to see if they're too harsh.  80/20s work great on my L-03R - tames the rosewood overtones a little and enhances the note separation. 

Adam
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: April 17, 2009, 08:13:15 PM »

Lynda, I recall a time in the sweet and distant past when subjective opinions could be given without apology. Please may those days return.

I received my LS-03 today. May not post pictures. May not review. (Being just a little faceteous.)

Norman

Come on Norman, we want pictures NOW. Please????  gotpics?

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
photomat

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: April 17, 2009, 08:22:26 PM »

Sach and Norm,

Congrats on getting your guitars.

Mine follows me around the house every evening.  I am constantly playing it.  I hope you enjoy yours as much as others have!

FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String
Jagadis

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: April 17, 2009, 08:57:49 PM »

Hey all,

I took a break from the Forum while I was down in Mexico this week.  Just got back.

To all those who just received their guitars and posted pictures...CONGRATS!!  Enjoy!

Jordan

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: April 17, 2009, 09:22:19 PM »

#59 , SN 108,555 , finally opened and ready for service:

Hmm, that's more runout than any Larrivee I've owned.  But it's not bad.

Interesting pattern in how the rosewood meets in the middle.  Nice colors on the edge.

Once tuned up a half-tone to standard E, the tone was tighter than a drum.  Not much to sing about.  Key of G flat-picked sounded out of tune while E was fine.  I'll let the guitar acclimate to Seattle humidity.

Fingerstyle with picks got my ears to start to enjoy what was coming out of the box.  More later.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS (the title of the thread):  Good but not great guitar.  Too new, I think.

Tomorrow at Photomat's will be a good opportunity for the LS to show its true stuff.

Play it daily for best results.
Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: April 17, 2009, 09:32:51 PM »

Mike, fellow southpaw, I wish I could make it but I'm a bit far away in NC, USA.  If you have been using Elixir's for years, you should try out some new strings...I think you will be pleasantly surprised by what you hear and you may find an overnight improvement in your guitar's tone.  Maybe...strings are of course subjective and the best set for one guitar isn't necessarily optimal for another.  Anyways, you are asking about EXP, EJ and PB.

EXP - D'Addario's coated strings = Elixir.  Personally, I prefer the EXP tone to the Elixir.  The EXP is a coated phospher/bronze string.  I like these for my Yamaha and Stella, guitars I don't play much and when I do, I often play slide because the action is high on them and these strings tend to be a bit brighter than the EJ's.  I also like EXP16's (.016-.064 guage) on my tricone resonator.

EJ - These are D'Addario's uncoated phospher/bronze strings.  I buy EJ16(light) and EJ17(med) depending on the guitar.

PB = phospher/bronze.  Considered a warm sounding metal for strings.

The nice thing about the EJ's is that you can find a good resource and buy sets for about $3.50 each on the internet w/ free shipping.

Wow - that's very cheap especially compared to the Elixirs. So, really, we're talking about two kinds of strings here - both the EXPs and EJs are PBs.

Thanks, Mike
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: April 17, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »

Norman

Hey this was almost worth having my outing cancelled. i don't think I've been happer for anyone getting a guitar,lol. I know when we talked you had some concerns, how did that pan out?

In regaard to sunny, it's seventy and I've been gardeing up a storm. Great way to restore sense and sensibility.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
aarra

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: April 17, 2009, 09:34:36 PM »

This may be a dumb question or have been mentioned previously, so I apologize in advance.  Why doesn't the F-III come with a polishing cloth?  I am a firm believer in one guitar per cloth, I don't like to cross-pollenate my instruments.
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: April 17, 2009, 09:36:05 PM »

I'm assuming because it's a satin finish. I think the last thing you'd want to do is buff away at a satin finish, but I'm totally guessing here. i just brush mine off with my shirt or something,lol.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: April 17, 2009, 09:43:36 PM »

I don't think any of the 03 series come with polishing cloths.  Shame, but old t-shirts do the job just as well.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
LookingForLarri

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: April 17, 2009, 10:09:31 PM »

#56 is Home

With the rest of the family

10 Larrivee 00-03R 
09 CA Cargo
09 Taylor GA SS
06 Taylor 714CE
05 Santa Cruz OM S
04 Baby Taylor
GeeNorm

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: April 17, 2009, 10:10:48 PM »

Hey this was almost worth having my outing cancelled. i don't think I've been happer for anyone getting a guitar, lol. I know when we talked you had some concerns, how did that pan out? holly

All my wishes on sound and playability are exceeded. The neck contour isn't bothersome to me. And now, like Ben, what might have sounded like hyperbole from first reviewers makes perfect auditory sense (in a respectible subjective sense, of course.) If I could only play a little (OK, a lot) better.

Preliminary photo sightings aside any concerns I had with appearance were replaced with recognition of individual character and uniqueness, just as I hope occurs when anyone sees me for the first time!

Thank you, Holly, and I anticipate your reaction upon receiving your LS-03 too.

Norman

Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: April 17, 2009, 10:14:16 PM »

#56 is Home

Beautiful - the fretboard in particular looks very unusual.  congratulations

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: April 17, 2009, 10:16:42 PM »

All my wishes on sound and playability are exceeded. The neck contour isn't bothersome to me. And now, like Ben, what might have sounded like hyperbole from first reviewers makes perfect auditory sense (in a respectible subjective sense, of course.) If I could only play a little (OK, a lot) better.

Preliminary photo sightings aside any concerns I had with appearance were replaced with recognition of individual character and uniqueness, just as I hope occurs when anyone sees me for the first time!

Thank you, Holly, and I anticipate your reaction upon receiving your LS-03 too.

Norman

- thrilled for you Norman.  Please let us see some pics as soon as possible.  I have given up tonight, as my playing is terrible.  Don't know if it is this bug or general tiredness, but I really feel I am letting the guitar down!!!  Tomorrow will be better.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Pages: 1 ... 25 [26] 27 ... 52   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: